LIFT AOA

Just saw this advertised in the latest issue of AOPA Pilot.

LIFT AOA

I know there are more than a couple people here who love AOA indicators.  While I'm not in a hurry to install one, if my partners decided they want one, this would probably be my choice.

Inexpensive: $389

I think it could be mounted on an inspection panel.

I like the analog display which gives an infinite number of readings.  I like the gauge because it has several reference marks along the arc.  Through experimenting I could determine the best needle position (AOA) for final approach with full flaps, half flaps, no flaps (final airspeed), best glide (engine out), and Carson's number (my current planned climb speed).

Anybody have one installed already?

Bob

12 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

Just saw this advertised in the latest issue of AOPA Pilot.

LIFT AOA

I know there are more than a couple people here who love AOA indicators.  While I'm not in a hurry to install one, if my partners decided they want one, this would probably be my choice.

Inexpensive: $389

I think it could be mounted on an inspection panel.

I like the analog display which gives an infinite number of readings.  I like the gauge because it has several reference marks along the arc.  Through experimenting I could determine the best needle position (AOA) for final approach with full flaps, half flaps, no flaps (final airspeed), best glide (engine out), and Carson's number (my current planned climb speed).

Anybody have one installed already?

Bob

Who has one of these? The CYA 100 is FA approved, $625 through ASpruce, and several of us have issued pireps... the loud warning tone is wired through the audio panel, unmistakable.

19 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Who has one of these? The CYA 100 is FA approved, $625 through ASpruce, and several of us have issued pireps... the loud warning tone is wired through the audio panel, unmistakable.

Sorry I should have been more clear.  I know lots of people have an AOA and have given a pirep, but I meant has anyone installed the LIFT AOA.

I don't think they did a great job on the aesthetics but I see no reason why this wouldn't be a useful and informative instrument to have on board. One of the more expensive AOA systems on the GA market is the Alpha Systems AOA; it also converts differential pressure into a cockpit readable format. The Alpha display is a much slicker looking light bar, but it should be slicker given that it's 5 X the cost. Could those of you with concerns beyond aesthetics elaborate on your concerns. Seems like a perfectly legitimate albeit budget minded option for a supplemental AOA. Indeed it is FAA approved.

A couple responses to replies.

1.  Ya, it might take a couple flights to get it set up, but nothing says you have to get it perfect.  Once you get it close, you can just know that stall occurs a bit before or after the line between the red and white sections.

2.  As far as I can tell, ALL the GA AOA systems use the two hole differential pressure method of determining AOA.

3.  I don't care if it is heated or not.  My plane is not FIKI, I have no intention of flying in icing conditions, and stall AOA will change anyway if I'm collecting ice.

4.  I like it specifically because of the display.  As I said before, if I were to get one of the fancy looking, LED lighted displays, there are a finite number of readings as one LED turns on or off.  With a needle on an analog display, there are an infinite number of readings.

As far as I'm concerned, about the only thing that would make the display better would be if it came with a kit that let me take the glass off, put some marks on the face, and put the glass back on.

Edit:

I'm more into function over form, not form over function.

Edited by Bob - S50
Add another comment
  • Like 1

1.  Ya, it might take a couple flights to get it set up, but nothing says you have to get it perfect.  Once you get it close, you can just know that stall occurs a bit before or after the line between the red and white sections.
2.  As far as I can tell, ALL the GA AOA systems use the two hole differential pressure method of determining AOA.
3.  I don't care if it is heated or not.  My plane is not FIKI, I have no intention of flying in icing conditions, and stall AOA will change anyway if I'm collecting ice.
4.  I like it specifically because of the display.  As I said before, if I were to get one of the fancy looking, LED lighted displays, there are a finite number of readings as one LED turns on or off.  With a needle on an analog display, there are an infinite number of readings.
As far as I'm concerned, about the only thing that would make the display better would be if it came with a kit that let me take the glass off, put some marks on the face, and put the glass back on.
Edit:

I don't anything about this unit but I would try to find someone who installed one before I committed. The FAA opened the door for these AoA indicators and I wonder how much testing was done by the manufacturers.

I have the CYA unit and it too requires a calibration and I found I needed to do the calibration a few times to get it correct. As a side note, the CYA is vane based unit and doesn't use a pressure differential. It's actually a small flying wing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

Edit:

I think I'm with Bob, if I could find a place to mount the indicator.  The CYA is nice because it is so small.

And I also like the fact that there doesn't appear to be any connection to the electrical system, just the 2 air tubes from the sensor.