VFR flying is it right?

Dream to fly

3 minutes ago, PTK said:

Very well said. The theme in his posts is that he knows better than anybody. If someone has a different opinion he denigrates them. He is a legend in his own mind!

When I was his age I was very opinionated and made sure everyone knew it. As I've gotten older I still have my opinions but realize they may not always be right or the same as others have. But you cannot doubt his passion and I think his desire to have all of us be safe flyers. 

15 minutes ago, 201er said:

The airplane is built and certified to fly IFR and then you get a pilot that isn't and doesn't want to. Enough said.

I have a motorcycle that will go 175 MPH, but I rarely drive it more than 70. I guess I'm dead weight on the saddle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bonal said:

When I was his age I was very opinionated and made sure everyone knew it. As I've gotten older I still have my opinions but realize they may not always be right or the same as others have. But you cannot doubt his passion and I think his desire to have all of us be safe flyers. 

We all are passionate to one degree or another and we all desire to be safe flyers. But we discuss and respect others' opinions.

Some however, remain stuck in a perpetual state of immaturity their entire life. Personally, I will give these types an opportunity and hear them. But as soon as they show me that they're unprofessional and unable to hold a mutually respectful conversation I ignore them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Funny looking Mooney

Sorry, the text (the whole reason for my post) got lost. I'll give the condensed version:

This was from a 23.8hr/3 day trip cross country (Idaho to Georgia) a few years ago, the airplane is a '41 Culver Cadet (Al Mooney design), and I was in a different much place in my life (I wasn't a father at the time).  The next morning after these pictures, on the 3rd leg of the trip, I left Graham Texas with clear skies and the engine started running rough as I climbed through 5,000 feet.  I tried carb heat, mixture, no help.  I turned back around and when within gliding distance of the airport checked the mags and found the issue.  Turns out the mags had an AD for green coils cracking from way back when and it was never completed on this one.  Glad that didn't happen the day before when I was flying over those clouds!

I'm still flying VFR-only but learned a lot of lessons on that trip that changed how I fly, especially now with my little family. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

I think this discussion (and all the other ones just like it), come about because of perceptions. Those of us who have instrument ratings, are (1) proud of our accomplishment (2) think it improves our flying and (3) think it would be of benefit to others. But it is really hard to express these thoughts without coming across as "I'm instrument rated and I'm better than you". I sure don't feel that way, and I suspect most every other IR pilot doesn't either; but it often comes across that way. You don't have to have an IR to be a good pilot. I know several (and probably a lot more that I am unaware of) who are VRF only and who are lot better pilot than me. But we still think it would be of benefit to all pilots and would encourage them to get the training.

To quote myself; I just reread my post and I seemed to have said I know several pilots who are better pilots than me. What I should have said is I know a bunch of pilots who are better pilots than me, and several or more of them may be VFR only.

2 hours ago, 201er said:

The airplane is built and certified to fly IFR and then you get a pilot that isn't and doesn't want to. Enough said.

Mine isn't certified to fly IFR,  and neither am I. We make a good pair. ;)

If I decide to pursue my IR I'll upgrade what I need to in the plane and then go after the rating. Until then, I'll enjoy the VFR privileges that my certificate says I have qualified for. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

Mine isn't certified to fly IFR,  and neither am I. We make a good pair. ;)

If I decide to pursue my IR I'll upgrade what I need to in the plane and then go after the rating. Until then, I'll enjoy the VFR privileges that my certificate says I have qualified for. 

Really? Is it just from not renewing static check or it doesn't have minimum equipment required for IFR? I would consider the former to be more like "out of currency" than non-certified.

14 minutes ago, 201er said:

Really? Is it just from not renewing static check or it doesn't have minimum equipment required for IFR? I would consider the former to be more like "out of currency" than non-certified.

Yes, needs static check, but does not have a required clock (that would be an easy fix).  It has 2 Nav radios, but #2 has issues. I honestly don't know if you are required to have  2 Navs but I don't know how you would find VOR intersections without two fully functional Navs. 

Just now, Skates97 said:

Yes, needs static check, but does not have a required clock (that would be an easy fix).  It has 2 Nav radios, but #2 has issues. I honestly don't know if you are required to have  2 Navs but I don't know how you would find VOR intersections without two fully functional Navs. 

I'm pretty sure that you are only required to have one NAV and one COM radio to be legal. Just like you can swap your com between ATC and ATIS, you can swap your NAV to different VORs to compare your radials. Not that I would recommend doing that, but I remember that was a question when working on my IR.

• Like 1

Just now, 201er said:

I'm pretty sure that you are only required to have one NAV and one COM radio to be legal. Just like you can swap your com between ATC and ATIS, you can swap your NAV to different VORs to compare your radials. Not that I would recommend doing that, but I remember that was a question when working on my IR.

Good to know, but if/when I go after an IR it won't be with one functional Nav, it will be be with GPS in the panel. 

• Like 1

Just now, Skates97 said:

Good to know, but if/when I go after an IR it won't be with one functional Nav, it will be be with GPS in the panel. 

Keep in mind that the majority of training you do for IR is hood work and approaches. You can do the training as is, broken clock and all. But when you are ready to start using it, having a GPS is definitely a good move.

• Like 1

I'll just say I'm thankful for a well equipped Mooney and thankful for my Instrument rating as well. 

I started on the IA because I thought it was the next logical thing to do... I didn't own a plane and it made more sense to keep taking lessons rather than just rent the plane to go fly in the pattern. I got serious about the IA as I thought it would be a safe and useful tool to have. Now several hundred hours later, I like the IA just for the fun of it. I just really enjoy flying IFR. Show me a cloudy day with low but stable conditions... and I'll be calling in sick to go fly.  

I just really enjoy it... which was a surprise to me.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Skates97 said:

After everything I've learned in this thread I would get rid of the secon nav/com.  Mooney pilots being superior to all others can easily handle flight one whether it is working or not.

You don't need it as the FAA has approved IFR flight on one anyway.

You'd save weight, and increase your useful load to something closer to what it was approved for.

With lower weight it will climb closer to something it was approved for.

It will now have a chance of cruising closer to what it was approved for.

Clarence

VFR flying is one of the few aviation pleasures that remains little unchanged from our early days. The ability to point the nose wherever I want to go, and turn off the radio if I so choose, is somewhat remarkable in this day and age.  Try requesting an IFR clearance to fly up the Hudson River at 1,000 feet.  The OP should obviously fly within his comfort zone but "cross country" and "VFR" don't need to be mutually exclusive terms.  My instrument rating allows me the flexibility to fly when the clouds roll in but if given the option I'm squawking 1200 and listening to Led Zeppelin...while monitoring 121.5! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Skates97 said:

I did my first 400 hours in a plane with only one navcom. That included cross countries to five states. I did my instrument training in the same plane. You can absolutely find intersections with one VOR. 

Doing an approach with a bunch of step down fixes defined by VOR radials will wear the paint off the knobs, but it can be done.

That being said, I wouldn't want to do it in heavy weather.

22 hours ago, 201er said:

Lmfao, Jim this is coming from the guy who wants to make instrument rating mandatory for all private pilots!

"But in all seriousness, as I've said before and it's only my opinion, that we train pilots backwards. Instead of graduating VFR only pilots we should make the instrument ticket mandatory. All pilots should graduate with it and stay current. Then if they choose to only fly VFR it's their prerogative. But they will have the training. " -PTK

Yes, as I clearly stated this is my opinion. Have the training and choose your type of flying. Notice no denigration.

Do you have a dfferent opinion or are you talking out of both sides of your mouth?

"One thing I can tell you is that I feel a heck of a lot more comfortable flying VFR while having he IFR skills, knowledge, and capability." -201er

The distinction should be IMC versus VMC.  I almost always fly IFR because it reduces my workload thanks to the controller helping with traffic, airspace, weather, etc.  I rarely fly IMC because there just isn't that much of it out there when you really think about it. 

• Like 1