Better Than New: The Full Refurbishment of N205J

Rmag

15 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Just out of interest, how easy would it be to retrofit fully enclosed doors on a 86 201.  I do like the idea of them and it would get rid of those field limiting lower gear doors on the earlier Js.   

Why did you nickel the cylinders?  Being a non petrol head what does this help you wiht?

On the gear doors, not sure on that.  Probably best for a MSE to answer.  We didn't need to worry about that.

Regarding Nickel Cylinders, here is a good read:  http://www.ramaircraft.com/nickel-cylinders/

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/8/2017 at 11:48 PM, VLFarms said:

Top notch example of a mooney restoration! I noticed P1D slipped a glimpse of your plane in his latest video, look forward to see what you do with his as well.

Here is what we did with him:

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

I'm surprised they sand it down...I thought chemical stripping was preferable?

Watch the interview with DeWitte. First thing they talk about.

Beauiful plane, pearlescent colurs are definitely the best.  The comments i get on mine when the sun is out, oh yes so good for the ego.  

Just out of interest, how easy would it be to retrofit fully enclosed doors on a 86 201.  I do like the idea of them and it would get rid of those field limiting lower gear doors on the earlier Js.   

Why did you nickel the cylinders?  Being a non petrol head what does this help you wiht?

Andrew

I had LASAR change the main gear doors on my 261 to the 3 door configuration. Didn't seem to add any speed, but I liked the way they looked. No idea if it was done on a STC, or 337 form. It was a long time ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Niko182 said:

please give a pirep on how you like the 500txi and the EIS. I want one sooner or later in my Eagle.

I was scheduled to have this start this week, but my unit got delayed by Garmin.  They apparently have one component of the TXi that is causing some supply issues.

We have other customers work booked so I had to push my install out into June. :(  Going to install the CIES senders at the same time.

I am planning on doing a video of the features, etc. once its done.

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Dan - I might be a little old, but can you adopt me?

LOL.  Sorry Chris, already have four, don't think I can take on any more at this time...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Rmag said:

I was scheduled to have this start this week, but my unit got delayed by Garmin.  They apparently have one component of the TXi that is causing some supply issues.

We have other customers work booked so I had to push my install out into June. :(  Going to install the CIES senders at the same time.

I am planning on doing a video of the features, etc. once its done.

How much does it cost all and done to have the txi with the eis installed? Also do you have to have a 750 already installed?

24 minutes ago, Niko182 said:

How much does it cost all and done to have the txi with the eis installed? Also do you have to have a 750 already installed?

Niko:  This is something you will want to get a real quote on from whoever you use in CA.  Its not just cut and dry depending on what options you pick and your engine config, etc.  Roughly, a G500 TXi without an EIS is around the same cost as a G500 install.  That being said, for a basic install, it could be less because the AHRS, Air Data Computer, can be attached to the back of the unit.  Although you can only use the attached AHRS and Air Data Computer if you do not have a floating panel.  So the savings would come from not having to pull the interior and run wires to LRUs in the tail, etc. But some of the other install cost remains. Cutting a new panel, run a remote mounted magnetometer. If there is any autopilot interfacing like a GAD 43e, that is remote mounted, so you are back to running wires into the tail to a remote box. Lots of times people do GTN 750’s at the same time with remote mounted GTX 345R, new GPS antenna run, etc.

We haven't priced out a completely new fresh install of a G500 TXi with EIS yet.  With my plane, all the existing LRU's I have installed in my plane for the G500 feed the G500 TXi so for me it is essentially a screen swap and adding the EIS.

We just completed a new G600 TXi install in a TBM, but that did not have EIS.

And no, you don't need a GTN 750, though its nice!

I really like what you've done. There is nothing available new from a manufacturer that can compare for the money. If your intention is to have the plane just the way you want it and keep it for a while, then you've done it just right. Great looking plane.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2017 at 10:09 PM, carusoam said:

I was hoping to see the airspeed readout on the G500 display while having the birds-eye view out the windshield.

What POV camera were you using for that?

Best regrads,

-a-

I’m a year late, but here you go...

• Like 1

I love it.  I really like the paint job too. That said, if I ever paint another plane, the belly will be white...  I'm always wanting to clean the white exhaust marks off my red belly. I'd image blue is just the same.    --especially with a plane that shows off your work.