New Member Introduction

ILikeMooneys

Hello All,

After spending way too much time lurking on this board, I finally signed up for an account. I've been taking aircraft shopping more seriously lately and have decided that I need to be better informed about Mooney aircraft. 

Considering I have never been any closer than about three feet to a Mooney I hope that, by joining this board, I might change that. I'm in Houston, TX. While I'd like to be able to throw down large sums on a J model, I'd rather stay in the C range in my search. I say C primarily because of cost and fewer complicated systems, and don't want to go all-in as a first time aircraft owner. 

Background: I've had a PPL for 13 years, nine of which were on hiatus from flying. I've logged @ 120 hours in, primarily, Cherokee Warriors and 180s. 

Thanks in advance for all the advice (good and bad), as well as snark, jabs, and unrelated tangents. My time lurking here has shown this to be an (overall) informed crowd of enthusiasts who are proud of their birds and their community.

• Like 5

Texas is Mooney central so you'll soon hear from folks in your area. All American Aircraft in the San Antonia area is probably the most highly respected broker of older Mooneys and you'll want to make contact before you get too far along. http://www.allamericanaircraft.com/Default.htm 

Maxwell in Longview, KGGG, is the go to shop for PPIs.

Happy hunting!

A really nice M20C is what set the hook for me as well. Start there with relatively minimal commitment and see what happens. 

See if you can get a flight with @cnoe. He flies a really nice J out of the Houston area. You'll also want a ride in a C, E, etc. But a ride with Chuck in his J will give you a wealth of information applicable to all Mooneys.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

A really nice M20C is what set the hook for me as well. Start there with relatively minimal commitment and see what happens. 

See if you can get a flight with @cnoe. He flies a really nice J out of the Houston area. You'll also want a ride in a C, E, etc. But a ride with Chuck in his J will give you a wealth of information applicable to all Mooneys.

But then I'll want a J!!! 

I've got to start somewhere. I figure summoning the locals may help. Thanks for the advice.

Just now, ILikeMooneys said:

Haha! I guess I'm going to have to dig up some backstory on this ladies man.

Don't; it might make you tear out your eyeballs. Just hang around. He can't contain himself for long.

• Like 3

On 4/19/2017 at 1:45 PM, ILikeMooneys said:

Hello All,

After spending way too much time lurking on this board, I finally signed up for an account. I've been taking aircraft shopping more seriously lately and have decided that I need to be better informed about Mooney aircraft. 

Considering I have never been any closer than about three feet to a Mooney I hope that, by joining this board, I might change that. I'm in Houston, TX. While I'd like to be able to throw down large sums on a J model, I'd rather stay in the C range in my search. I say C primarily because of cost and fewer complicated systems, and don't want to go all-in as a first time aircraft owner. 

Background: I've had a PPL for 13 years, nine of which were on hiatus from flying. I've logged @ 120 hours in, primarily, Cherokee Warriors and 180s. 

Thanks in advance for all the advice (good and bad), as well as snark, jabs, and unrelated tangents. My time lurking here has shown this to be an (overall) informed crowd of enthusiasts who are proud of their birds and their community.

Welcome on board! This is a great place to hang out...

Oscar

1 hour ago, Joe Zuffoletto said:

Well, you thanked us in advance for advice good and bad, so I'll chime in with some bad advice: Come on up to Denver and go for a ride in my Acclaim. Then you'll divorce your wife, mortgage your house, and get deeper into Mooney ownership than you ever dreamed. :)

That's what I'm afraid of, and why I've kept a 3' buffer with every Mooney I've seen thus far. :unsure:

ETA: I've got family in Denver, so now I need to make an excuse to go visit. 

Edited by ILikeMooneys