Time to Put UP or Shut UP- Autopilots!

cliffy

Got an email from Paul Odum at Trio wanting to know who REALLY is willing to put money where their mouth is and belly up to the bar. He is looking to assign engineering in a couple of weeks for the next airframe to get the STC.  He needs 25 firm orders to allocate the effort for us Mooney owners. He's got 4 confirmed so if you really want to see a digital autopilot in your Mooney for around $7K + install (@$2K) let him know within 7 days

Here's what he said minus the names of those already on the list-

Do you really want a good autopilot or not, that is the question?

Mooney drivers !

We had a great meeting last week with the FAA to kick off the Trio Pro Pilot autopilot STC approval project.

The STC Group, is holding an engineering meeting next week to decide who gets the resources for the next couple of A/P install kit design projects.

I’ve got three (3) of you on my Firm commit list. I need at least 25 to 30 of you on the Firm list in order to throw engineering team members at your Mooneys.

It’s time to step up to the plate and get on the list everyone.

• Like 2

It would be a shame if this slips away. Step up gents, you have all asked for it, or please stop bellyaching about how much STECs cost and how much Kings are to repair.

Wish I could, but I am closing on a hanger home in less than 30 days. All cash is delpeted.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I also hope that both Paul and Andrew realize that there's a lot of bang for the buck to Mooney in that a single engineering effort result in an STC for almost every Mooney model out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CWM20f said:

Where do I find the capabilities of the Trio unit?  Are we are getting a lot of the options the experimental do?

This is the autopilot they're working to get certified. Throughout the few threads on this particular autopilot some questions have been raised about additional features. Hopefully we'll get some answers to those soon.

http://trioavionics.com/ProPilot.htm

I asked for a feature list between the two, I asked for an integration roadmap for other devices.   Paul was not wanting to do that.  I have to take the time to do it myself. Put up or shut up is not how you do system integration and or system purchases. 

• Like 1

I'm very interested and would probably jump on it if it were on the market, but I have an aversion to being a guinea pig with respect to anything aviation.

If they can deliver what they promise for under $9K installed, they won't have any trouble attracting Mooney drivers who still have PC's.  There'are s a lot of us.

However, I need to talk to an installing shop and find out if the $2K install price is actually available around here.  Too many times I hear, "yeah, I can usually do it for that, but your situation different because.......".

2 hours ago, Flymac said:

I was going to note so theres the Trutrack and the Trio system in the works...what is swaying any of you towards one or the other at this point?

I'm leaning this way myself but am certainly open to seeing what Trio has to offer. If I'm reading their websites correctly, TruTrak offers GPSS as part of their standard package while with the Trio Pro Pilot you have to pay an additional $500 for it.

3 hours ago, Yetti said:

I asked for a feature list between the two, I asked for an integration roadmap for other devices.   Paul was not wanting to do that.  I have to take the time to do it myself. Put up or shut up is not how you do system integration and or system purchases. 

I was browsing through both websites and decided to throw together something simple and quick to see the differences since there were some big ones (such as GPSS being standard with TruTrak). Attached is what I put together but if anyone sees big changes, let me know and I'll update it. From this, it would appear that TruTrak is the better option, but I may have some data incorrect on this.

APComparison.pdf

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LevelWing said:

I was browsing through both websites and decided to throw together something simple and quick to see the differences since there were some big ones (such as GPSS being standard with TruTrak). Attached is what I put together but if anyone sees big changes, let me know and I'll update it. From this, it would appear that TruTrak is the better option, but I may have some data incorrect on this.

APComparison.pdf

seems to me that the trutrak is the clear winner.

24 minutes ago, peevee said:

seems to me that the trutrak is the clear winner.

Perhaps but I may also not have all the data accurately captured. The list of features came from the TruTrak site because they actually clearly list them. I had to hunt around the Trio website to try and find theirs which is why I may have missed some.

17 minutes ago, LevelWing said:

Perhaps but I may also not have all the data accurately captured. The list of features came from the TruTrak site because they actually clearly list them. I had to hunt around the Trio website to try and find theirs which is why I may have missed some.

Keep in mind also that it sounds like trutrak might not have all features certified, from their video anyway.

At present neither of these systems allows for VOR/ILS integration. Trio has indicated that they need to step up to another level of FAA acceptance in order to integrate with panel mounted systems. Presumably that is their intention but it is a risk to consider. Personally I would not consider an autopilot without both GPS and VOR integration. The Dynon D10A (autopilot function) which is being Certified by the EAA does have this capability but is still a ways away from sale. May be to soon to make a decision without solid specs. 

Edited by Cris

I have been doing IT systems for a long time.  Sorting through what is vapor ware is something to do.  Buying from a powerpoint presentation is always risky.   Usually I just tell people "That sounds neat"  "Come show me when you have a working system and we can have a bake off with other working products"