Time to Put UP or Shut UP- Autopilots!

cliffy

8 minutes ago, Yetti said:

I have been doing IT systems for a long time.  Sorting through what is vapor ware is something to do.  Buying from a powerpoint presentation is always risky.   Usually I just tell people "That sounds neat"  "Come show me when you have a working system and we can have a bake off with other working products"

What is the difference between a software salesman and a used car saleman?  The car salesman knows he is talking S****.

It does appear that TruTrak is ahead at this point.  I think it would be wise for us to collectively go for the same system as a whole for many reasons. 

1. The company will know funding is there.

2. Technical problem solving through MS will be better.

3.  We can push for more options with the company knowing that say 50 aircraft owners are committed to their product.

Just my two cents

13 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

I feel a case of Deja Vu....wasn't DFC90 going to add Mooneys, like 4 years ago?

I really liked the DFC90 - it was exactly what I want for features that I do not already have with my very capable kfc200.  Digital, envelope protection, straight and level button, gpss, full featured.

Envelope protection is a really good concept.  The trio supposedly has that.  But how can I commit to something not knowing what i have committed to - will they be including all the features?  Will it interface with my WAAS GPS?  I need to know these things before I would leap.  I was otherwise very tempted...for envelope protection alone - if it comes with the certified feature set.

I do worry a little about a smaller company product becoming orphaned in the future.  And unlike my KFC200 which at least for now, we have autopilots central (and several others) that can let you keep maintaining it into the future (at great expense)...what happens if the producer goes belly up.

I would think for this reason that when Garmin enters the fray with their experimental to certified fray, then there will more likely be staying power.

What I really really want is - the G3X efis with all features and the garmin digital autopilot to go with.  To the point that I would not consider buying a G500 at this stage given I think either G3x or something like it will be coming soon.  Maybe skyview?

14 minutes ago, N6758N said:

Anyone else been on TruTrak's website recently? I went on there today to submit my interest in the M20 being added to their certified list but the link for the form to fill out does not work.

I just tried and the link works for me:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdj-PF1UNoTkoLSN-XpodyNJ8MNvNnc8XKM7aX-Ut4vl-hY3w/viewform?c=0&w=1

What I really really want is - the G3X efis with all features and the garmin digital autopilot to go with.  To the point that I would not consider buying a G500 at this stage given I think either G3x or something like it will be coming soon.  Maybe skyview?

That would be nice.
But the thing about the DFC90 was it can used existing servos, which saves you $$. Pretty sure Garmin won't be so flexible.
  • Like 1

OK I'm a little punchy after driving all day and dead tired but I just got on here for the first time in a week and I'm confused.

Why the trash talk about an autopilot for a 40K 50 year old airplane that is fully digital, full LPV, selectable decent and climb rates, alt hold, safe recovery from inadvertent IMC, dead simple installation and all for @7k+ install?

You can always go spend 3 Xs that for a full on Garmin if you want. How much more will it give you? You can't hand fly from the outer marker down a G/S on an ILS? 

WOOS!

Give me a break or maybe I've been around too long and have seen what we had to deal with 4 decades ago and thought we were in tall cotton then. Maybe 50 years in this business gives me a different perspective. I didn't have anything this good in a 727!

If your concern is that it won't use your servos then you have no understanding of what "design and certification" entails. 

What do we want a full flight control system from an Airbus 320 all for $2500? There are still things it can't do that would surprise you.

Again I'm dead tired and maybe missing something.

If your concern is that it won't use your servos then you have no understanding of what "design and certification" entails. 
What do we want a full flight control system from an Airbus 320 all for $2500? There are still things it can't do that would surprise you.
Again I'm dead tired and maybe missing something.

I understand DFC90 is able to use existing servos, so it can't be that difficult to certify.
I don't want the Airbus system, too complex, too many modes, I think either the AP flies the plane, or the pilot should. Which is why I don't like the STEC 50 since it can't capture the GS.
I just want a system designed with some forethought of installation costs. PS engineering did it with their audio panels so I don't think I'm asking for too much.

I know I am a little punchy (work induced).

Would you expect anything less than critical calculated responses from what people expect from us when we pilot a plane?   

For 1 AMU I can launch my hex copter and have it fly a course autonomously while holding altitude, course, speed and direction in 25 knot gusty winds. 

Just because it is better than 40 years ago does not mean its the best that can be done.