M20E with crankcase rcondition good or bad?

Paul S.

9 minutes ago, thinwing said:

I have a boxster that I bought new in 2001...current mileage is 10986.... as far as Iran/ overhaul by a shop as well known as PG..I wonder what the expense delta would have been ?If the owner paid 7 k for that Iran but a field overhaul cost 12 k ..I would have given more thought to future resell value

There are quite a few P-Car folks on this forum, niw you've been outed as well.  Have you done IMS bearing in your Boxster?  That's not a lot of driving in 16 years.

Aero Engines of Winchester did all of my work for quite a bit (as in 1000s) less than $7k which included the case overhaul and having the cylinders (new in 2000) sent out for IRAN as well.  Estimate a field OH in 2010 would nave been around $18-20K plus the cost to hang the engine.

4 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

There are quite a few P-Car folks on this forum, niw you've been outed as well.  Have you done IMS bearing in your Boxster?  That's not a lot of driving in 16 years.

Aero Engines of Winchester did all of my work for quite a bit (as in 1000s) less than $7k which included the case overhaul and having the cylinders (new in 2000) sent out for IRAN as well.  Estimate a field OH in 2010 would nave been around $18-20K plus the cost to hang the engine.

No bearing work and no leaks I hear about...

6 minutes ago, thinwing said:

No bearing work and no leaks I hear about...

The engine in my uncle's CPO 05 Carrera S completely grenaded at 65K due to IMS failure. I am pretty sure your car is covered under the class action won against Porsche.  For what it's worth, mine was fine when I replaced it at 52,000 but I could know that without tearing into it.  I know of several cars besides my uncles that went TU. It's likey why Porche eliminated the  InterMediate Shaft completely with the 981.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Smiles201 said:

Probably true....But if it were me I would want more done after 40 years. Case is already apart, why not put in new bearings and seals, call it bottom overhaul, and increase resale value and appeal?  Bottom would be good for another 2000+ hours? 

That shop did not just throw in a cam and lifters , Guaranteed it got about 2000 dollars worth of seals bearings bolts etc.......     Poplar Grove is one of the best non factory shops , and they don't screw around ...... As an A&P I wouldn't even consider doing that job without bearings nuts studs seals rings etc etc.....  And I don't have a national reputation and repair station license to protect...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shadrach said:

I heard Tom sold the business , He had a great local reputation .....

30 minutes ago, Alan Fox said:

I heard Tom sold the business , He had a great local reputation .....

I hadn't heard.  In my experience, he is a solid wrench, a trustworthy businessman and the kind of guy that works well with folks who have an understanding of the process. It's a loss to local aircraft owners if indeed he has indeed retired.  My transaction with him left me feeling that had I received more than I paid for...which is a rarity in this industry.  It's been 6.5 years and 500hrs since he tore it down and it's running beautifully and strong. All comps over 78 and a qt about every 10-12hrs depending on operations and temps.  There were those that told me the best option was to trade for a factory new engine, I am so glad we didn't do that.  A fellow MSer from down south crated his engine and sent it to Tom based partly on my reflections. His experience was as positive as mine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shadrach said:

Don't feel bad about it. Most of us have a story like yourself.  Back in 2012 after deciding not to keep my old Triumph tagged for street use (it still serves as my airport scooter), I wanted a roadster as a fun car.  After a bit of performance and market researce I decided that a Porsche Boxster (986) S or a BMW Z4 would strike the right balance of performance and value.  I was at the dealer auction and both models came through two different lanes at the same time.  I choose to bid on the Artic Silver Porsche.  The first few years of ownership were just short of heartbreaking...  Don't get me wrong, I still think it's one of the finest driver's cars on the road even at 15 years old, but I had no idea what I was getting into maintenance wise. If I had it to do again knowing what I know now, I'd still end up with the same make/model, but I'd have bought it differently. I'd try to be in the position of the person that buys my car (which is going up for sale soon) as it is now (well loved, maintained and upgraded) and not the position that I was in (ignorent) when I bought it (neglected, but not obviously).  I now know how to tell the difference.  The dumbest thing I did was wait until I had a problem before joining the 986 forum...I should have done it long before deciding to purchase.

I replaced the accessory belt (behind the seat access) on my 987 (06 S) this winter.  Hardest part of the job was getting out the crappy bolt securing the safety bar behind headrests.  Stripped the poorly fitting torx and had to order a toolset that grabbed the nut to get it out.  Parts (I got two from Porsche) were only six bucks and quality was MUCH better.  I upgraded the steering wheel too.  My interior is all Terricotta and that is a lot of it with full leather.  The replacement wheel bought off of Ebay is molded in Asia on an original Porsche part.  I went with Terricotta on bottom and black on sides with small strip of Terricotta at 12 o'clock.  A little pucker popping and unhooking the airbag.  Went together well.  Very pleased.  Old wheel was not the round center sport that is beefier on the rim.  This is a huge improvement in comfort and looks.  Son is going to get it someday so not worried about non OEM purist look.  Cheers!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

I replaced the accessory belt (behind the seat access) on my 987 (06 S) this winter.  Hardest part of the job was getting out the crappy bolt securing the safety bar behind headrests.  Stripped the poorly fitting torx and had to order a toolset that grabbed the nut to get it out.  Parts (I got two from Porsche) were only six bucks and quality was MUCH better.  I upgraded the steering wheel too.  My interior is all Terricotta and that is a lot of it with full leather.  The replacement wheel bought off of Ebay is molded in Asia on an original Porsche part.  I went with Terricotta on bottom and black on sides with small strip of Terricotta at 12 o'clock.  A little pucker popping and unhooking the airbag.  Went together well.  Very pleased.  Old wheel was not the round center sport that is beefier on the rim.  This is a huge improvement in comfort and looks.  Son is going to get it someday so not worried about non OEM purist look.  Cheers!

Sounds beautiful Scott. My only comment on the 06 is that while it has a factory upgraded IMS bearing, I don't believe it's replaceable without splitting the case. I think it's a good idea to half Porsche's recommended oil change interval (10,000) at the very least. I try to change mine every 4K.

2 minutes ago, Shadrach said:

Sounds beautiful Scott. My only comment on the 06 is that while it has a factory upgraded IMS bearing, I don't believe it's replaceable without splitting the case. I think it's a good idea to half Porsche's recommended oil change interval (10,000) at the very least. I try to change mine every 4K.

Thanks Ross.  It is a weekend driver.  I put 1-3k per year on.  I change oil and filter every fall when I put it away.  Cheap and easy. Got to love my Rhino ramps :)

• Like 1