Trio Autopilot- Please respond if you want one

9 hours ago, Yetti said:

This is my feature comparison between the Tru Track and Trio.

I am trying to figure why the Tru Track only comes with 2 servos.  Seems like you need 3 to be a 3 axis autopilot.

It's going to take some work to figure out what these things interface to.  So that work is not done.

From what i have seen the Dynon Skyview is the most integrated from a systems standpoint.  So I am going to focus on what is needed to integrate to that.  

Autopliotcompare.pdf

I posted something similar in the thread in the General Mooney Talk forum. One thing to note on your prices for the TruTrak is that the price listed on their website is for the experimental versions and TruTrak is saying the price will be approximately $5,000 with installation kit once it's certified. Additionally, with the Trio you'll have to purchase the GPSS separately for $500, according to their website. 

10 hours ago, Yetti said:

I am trying to figure why the Tru Track only comes with 2 servos.  Seems like you need 3 to be a 3 axis autopilot.

I don't believe any of these are 3-axis autopilots; that would involve yaw (rudder) control as well. Hence the 2 servos.

In a Mooney all you really need is roll and pitch anyway.

I was holding my breath reading and watching this Trio thread and speculation on coupling the G5 to an a/p, all the while my Century NSD-1000 HSI squealed to a halt. Eventually, I decided I really wanted to fly in the IFR system in this decade! Took a deep breath, ponied up several AMU's for the repairs at Century (another thread/story there), and moved ahead with the repairs while not upgrading to digital technology. May not be what all of you would do, but my flying horizon is (realistically) about 9 more years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 4/18/2017 at 1:48 PM, jetdriven said:

If the whole point of non-certified avionics in certified airplanes is to bring costs down, then why are they twice the price of the experimental version?  Why do they de-content them?

I get the Trio is half the price, still, of a STEC55x. But the STEC has a couple decades of proven reliability and support.  Trio is a newcomer to this market and as such, hasnt proven their product is good. Also it bears significantly more risk of orphaned products, which arent worth much at all after that.   We have seen this with the Avidyne DFC90. They really couldnt get a viable product to market, and completely ignored the Mooney airplane.   A half cup of tea for half price is no bargain.

I just spoke to the man himself (Paul) and asked him the same question regarding the price.  He explained that the FAA still makes demands that they comply with regulations when installing these systems on certified aircraft that cost them a great deal of money.  He said it is costing them between 250k-300k to get these STCs approved by the FAA.

• 1 year later...
On 4/18/2017 at 7:58 AM, N6758N said:

The email I got a few weeks ago from Paul stated the Trio Pro A/P cost was $5,000 plus $2,000 for the install kit. So I'm assuming $7,000 for the whole kit plus installation which is probably going to run another $3,000. Can anyone confirm or critique this information? I'm not worried about installation costs as I would be doing the install myself, but $7,000 seems a bit steep for these systems, considering you can get an STEC-30 for around 10k....

Who is selling STEC 30 with altitude hold and GPSS installed for 10k?

Quotes I have seen are all around 17K installed.

• Like 2

On 6/1/2018 at 1:24 PM, stormflyer said:

Who is selling STEC 30 with altitude hold and GPSS installed for 10k?

Quotes I have seen are all around 17K installed.

the system is around 10-12k, not installed. 

I been talking to Tru-Trak folks for a while now. Here is last replay two days ago:

We are going to be a little longer on the Mooney.  At this time we have one in the hanger but we are currently focused on getting Cessna 182's finished up.”

Hopefully, end of summer will be available. So, Price for Tru-Trak is $5,000 that includes installation kit and there estimate for Install is $2000 or so. 

Total still much cheaper than Trio.

• Like 1

Not to slam anyone, just that I do hardware software cost benefit analysis in my head. 3 Dynon servos would cost $2250.    Not sure how much the mounting kit would be.    and then about $4000 for main system and AHRS and stuff.   But you get to have all glass and and can expand to have engine monitoring +$1000   and integrate lots of other things like radios and transponder and synthetic vision.  

Finally innovation and some movement

• 4 months later...
On 10/23/2018 at 1:03 PM, Steve Dawson said:

Has anyone received any updates on any of the new autopilots?

I visited TruTrak's installation in Springdale AR a couple of weeks ago for an article I'm writing. They are at the stage of finalizing the placement of the servo, although they are pretty sure about the optimal location. Testing should start as soon as that is completed on the Mooney pictured above, a 65 M20E SUPER21 :Dand, based on other types, it could be ready to ship by next spring, since servos and command box are the same as the other types. But that is my personal estimate, I'm not representing TruTrak or their plans in any way.

M20ETruTrak.jpg

3 hours ago, drapo said:

I visited TruTrak's installation in Springdale AR a couple of weeks ago for an article I'm writing. They are at the stage of finalizing the placement of the servo, although they are pretty sure about the optimal location. Testing should start as soon as that is completed on the Mooney pictured above, a 65 M20E SUPER21 :Dand, based on other types, it could be ready to ship by next spring, since servos and command box are the same as the other types. But that is my personal estimate, I'm not representing TruTrak or their plans in any way.

M20ETruTrak.jpg

Bummer.  I'd heard January ish