Looking for a pirep on KBLM

TonyK

I am planning on heading down to see some friends over Memorial Day weekend and the closest airport is Monmouth Exec (KBLM).  I was looking for information on ease of access, services and associated fees.  I cruised the website and sent an email to them but I was looking for some third party intel.

The airport is a zoo, or was......airplanes using both runways, flight training, jet traffic and parachuters.....and the main runway is narrow, at least when I flew in there in a hawker years ago, not to mention it has a funny slope and you can't see the morons on the cross runway.  Hated it.  Go somewhere else.....again that was 8 years ago.

• Like 1

Red Bank is roughly 5 DME on the Colts Neck 090' radial.  Both KBLM and Old Bridge (3N6) are easily accessed from there.  KBLM might be 5 minutes closer (drive time) given the Parkway travels at far greater speeds than Texas Rd (county road used to get to Old Bridge).

I'm based at Trenton and whenever I need to be in that area, I try to use Old Bridge.  It's less congested, has relatively low cost fuel and fees are minimal if non-existent.  It's a typical smaller GA field with an active community of pilots and a flight school.  Be sure not to confuse the drag strip immediately adjacent as a runway (They've painted X's on it recently).

KBLM is much busier and they love their fees.  I was once cornered by a golf cart because I didn't pay a landing fee when eating at the on-field restaurant.  As Mark mentioned above, the main runway is narrow by jet standards but more than adequate for a Mooney.  When coming from New England, NY will hand you off to McGuire who will change to advisory.  I've always found it exceedingly helpful to get to advisory sooner rather than later.  The field is very easy to see and knowing who is up to what helps a lot, particularly on weekends.  They have plenty of parking and the FBO is on the SW side of the field.  Look for the jet shed, don't be confused by all of the buildings / businesses on the NE side.

• Like 1

I'd second Old Bridge if you are visiting Red Bank...at least that's where I would go if I'm paying for it. I'm in and out of BLM for work quite a bit and they nickle and dime every little fee they can against me. Not to mention the taxiways at BLM are notorious for dinging up props. 

Old Bridge has that small town airport feel despite its location. At least that's how it feels to me after spending a day in and out of the city.  Mr Drake is spot on about the drag strip. It's usually full of people memorial weekend so it would be hard to mess up but I've seen folks accidentally line up on it over the years (haven't seen an actual landing there yet). Have a great trip wherever you end up!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Garryowen said:

I'd second Old Bridge if you are visiting Red Bank...at least that's where I would go if I'm paying for it. I'm in and out of BLM for work quite a bit and they nickle and dime every little fee they can against me. Not to mention the taxiways at BLM are notorious for dinging up props. 

Old Bridge has that small town airport feel despite its location. At least that's how it feels to me after spending a day in and out of the city.  Mr Drake is spot on about the drag strip. It's usually full of people memorial weekend so it would be hard to mess up but I've seen folks accidentally line up on it over the years (haven't seen an actual landing there yet). Have a great trip wherever you end up!!

Also I believe Old Bridge has a very capable Mooney shop, which is always nice if the unexpected issue crops up.

• Like 1