Scrap Value

Engine overhaul or scrap the plane and buy another is one of the things I have considered.   If you want a tax write off, I have a 501c3 charity and we can get you a statement and we would scrap it for the charity.

If you have the plane and are handy with tools and able to ship big things.

Engine and prop - 15-20K

Control Surfaces - 6K

Radios no WASS - 2K

Garmin 430W - 6K

Control rods - 1K

Beer can value of airframe 500

Cowl - 1K

Brittian 2K

Gear 1K

Parts and pieces on ebay 1K

Edited by Yetti
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Where are you located and what happened?  It doesn't sound good. So sorry. 

Jim

Threw a prop blade.  Prop was overhauled ~3 yrs ago, leaked so resealed last year.  Started to leak last week.  Started the plane on the ramp and it shook like a mother.  Shut down and all the hardware sealing/controlling the blade was either spread on the ramp or inside the spinner.  The blades shanks are inside the hub, but I was able to rotate the blade pitch 90 degrees with no resistance.

Little reluctant to just put on a new prop without tearing the engine down and inspecting the mounts it shook that hard.

So like the hub cracked and the blade came out?  be interested to know what hub and what blades.  You can NDT the engine mount, replace the mounts $400 in parts.   Micrometer the shaft on the engine. and hang a new prop.

4 hours ago, markejackson02 said:

Is there a way to ascertain the scrap value of a 1978 201?  I may need to choose soon and want to have some idea of the alternative.  Airframe is in good shape.  Engine is recently overhauled although it may need a teardown inspection.

Really glad that this happened on the ground not in the air.  The plane is repairable, the people less so.

Won't your insurance be covering the damage and seeking claim against the prop shop assuming that they have any liability in the matter?

Clarence

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

So like the hub cracked and the blade came out?  be interested to know what hub and what blades.  You can NDT the engine mount, replace the mounts $400 in parts.   Micrometer the shaft on the engine. and hang a new prop.

The blade didn't come out of the hub, just all the hardware that attached to the hub.  The blade can be rotated in pitch without resistance.  I'm guessing there was a retaining ring that broke or came out and everything else slid out.

IMG_2267.JPG

Edited by markejackson02

Just now, markejackson02 said:

The blade didn't come out of the hub, just all the hardware that attached to the hub.  The blade can be rotated in pitch without resistance.  I'm guessing there was a retaining ring that broke or came out and everything else slid out.

Do you have a picture?  What prop do you have?  This is very strange.  No vibration last flight?  As Clarence said, very fortunate this happened on the ground.

Surprised that the scrap value is that low.  If that is the case, it will be more palatable to repair the plane.

This is the third time the plane has tried to kill me.  First was a mag failure that resulted in an emergency landing in a rainstorm.  It ultimately took over a year to resolve.  Then the landing gear didn't come down.  Now this.  Maybe someone is trying to tell me something.....

The insurance company's count on a savage value of about 1/3 of its blue book value. Talk to your insurance company and they'll tell you exactly what its is since that's the value they subtract from your insured amount to arrive at how high they are willing to pay for a claim before they total it. But as Clarence says, this is likely covered by your insurance, and should not require scraping the plane even if a engine tear down was decided on.

Good luck and very glad this happened at startup too.

Is there a way to ascertain the scrap value of a 1978 201?  I may need to choose soon and want to have some idea of the alternative.  Airframe is in good shape.  Engine is recently overhauled although it may need a teardown inspection.

Not that it probably matters, but your plane is a 77, yes ?

Just now, kortopates said:

The insurance company's count on a savage value of about 1/3 of its blue book value. Talk to your insurance company and they'll tell you exactly what its is since that's the value they subtract from your insured amount to arrive at how high they are willing to pay for a claim before they total it. But as Clarence says, this is likely covered by your insurance, and should not require scraping the plane even if a engine tear down was decided on.

Good luck and very glad this happened at startup too.

I too am glad it happened on the ground.  I am guessing that the insurance will not cover any of it since there is no damage other than the prop (and maybe engine).  I will check on Monday.

Mark - I am glad you are fit and healthy.

Maybe you are a bit angry at the plane and feel that parting it out might be the best way, but even if you do not want it anymore, if you can afford to do so then you might get more of your investment back if you repair it and sell it as a working flying airplane.

If able please repair and sell it. Everyone in a the salvage business will give bottom dollar for it. Your insurance company should cover it. What did your prop shop say? It should have stayed together for more than a year...

However, I have scrapped an engine once. The owner thought it had bad juju. 

-Matt

• Like 1

Thank you all for talking me off the ledge.  I'll follow up with what we find with the propeller.  

Assuming nothing catastrophic happened with the engine I will get a new prop.  Wife will probably ask Boyd to make sure I didn't deliberately loosen something to get a new prop.

2 hours ago, markejackson02 said:

IMG_2267.JPG

I've only seen one other incident of blade separation in a McCauley prop, that after the owner taxied into his car!

I would suspect some form of assembly error on the prop?  I would talk to the prop shop who did the work telling them of the troubles, then bring it to another shop for disassembly and analysis.  If it is a case of assembly error take pictures and evidence to the first shop for them to make you whole. If they refuse I'd speak with your local FAA office, they have an interested.  

By definition of the AD covering prop strike I think this qualifies and engine tear down is in order.  If you have full insurance I think it would be covered, let's hope.

Clarence

I would remove the engine mount for overhaul as well. Finally, actually really look hard for cracks in the airframe attachments. 

I'd call the prop shop, broker, and FAA in that order if you don't like the answers you are told. This is a highly strange event. All parties envolve need to know what happened. I would not post too much more until you have resolution. This sight is great for knowledge, but not the best place to discuss legal matters. Your insurance will surly do some digging too. 

-Matt

2 hours ago, larryb said:

Why would insurance cover this? It was a mechanical failure, not an accident.

My thoughts also unless you could attribute it to an error made by the shop and they could go after them

Also, with the blade still attached would the imbalance be enough to warrant a teardown and mount overhaul? I'm dubious. No doubt it vibrated but how intensely and for how long and how does one make that determination?

7 hours ago, peevee said:

My thoughts also unless you could attribute it to an error made by the shop and they could go after them

Also, with the blade still attached would the imbalance be enough to warrant a teardown and mount overhaul? I'm dubious. No doubt it vibrated but how intensely and for how long and how does one make that determination?

I agree on questioning a tear down, especially for the sudden stoppage. There was no sudden stoppage unless the blade hit something. I would be looking for a possible crack in the front journal area but that is a laymans thoughts.

Thinking it through.  The blades are mounted with bearing and the bearing race are bolted to the hub.  So either the bearing went away or the mount or the bolts let loose.  Torquing and Locking of the bolts so they don't back out is important.   I would want to be there when the hub is opened up.

From the picture the blade is not sitting square in the hub. which makes me think the blade mount let loose.

Edited by Yetti