Cigarette light for usb port

pkofman

Just now, RLCarter said:

Make sure the USB charger has the correct output for your iPad

I was using a high speed cigarette lighter charger that I had in the car. I started reading a but and it appear with the voltage system in the airplane it can seriously overheat..

I carry a little battery charger with me but it would be good to be able to use the lighter port

BTW this is in a BRAVO TLS

Peter

7 minutes ago, pkofman said:

I was using a high speed cigarette lighter charger that I had in the car. I started reading a but and it appear with the voltage system in the airplane it can seriously overheat..

I carry a little battery charger with me but it would be good to be able to use the lighter port

BTW this is in a BRAVO TLS

Peter

The TLS has a 28 volt system and earlier models had a 28v socket for the cigarette lighter. If you are using a charger that is for 12 or 14 volts on a 28 volt socket it will seriously overheat.

• Like 1

Just now, LANCECASPER said:

The TLS has a 28 volt system and earlier models had a 28v socket for the cigarette lighter. If you are using a charger that is for 12 or 14 volts it will seriously overheat.

thanks for the link ... I suppose I should have found that on my own . very helpful...!

Pete

29 minutes ago, Yetti said:

That is what circuit breakers are for......  Note that the circuit breaker for the cig lighter and ignition switch may be the same.

It maybe model dependent but in early C/Es the cig lighter has an inline fusible link set at 8amp.  Should not be a problem for a USB adapter.  

2 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

The TLS has a 28 volt system and earlier models had a 28v socket for the cigarette lighter. If you are using a charger that is for 12 or 14 volts on a 28 volt socket it will seriously overheat.

I have made this mistake before.  Those fancy, low profile, dual 2A output chargers are 12V only.  Plugging them into a 28V cigarette lighter fries them almost instantly...before even tripping a breaker.  Alot of the chargers that aren't low profile are both 12/24...so just make sure to check the specs first.

We use an aukey with two 2.1 amp ports and it's fine,  interference, but have a 14v system. I don't see that it's rated for 24v

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00M6QODH2/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492272479&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=usb+cigarette+lighter+adapter&dpPl=1&dpID=41ijHNAxZyL&ref=plSrch

If you poke around on Amazon or elsewhere you can find 12V cigarette-lighter-port USB chargers that also do useful things like show the system voltage.   There used to be one type that would also alert on excessive CO2 levels, but that no longer seems to be available (plus they were the type that can inadvertently short the supply voltage, so maybe no big loss).  

Voltage display examples:

https://www.amazon.com/NewVan-Tech-Display-Charger-Tablets/dp/B01FWXY636/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1492272672&sr=8-2&keywords=USB+charger+display

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Awakelion-Voltage-Monitor-Display/dp/B01N09DF1Z/ref=pd_bxgy_107_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01N09DF1Z&pd_rd_r=AT444A3GC7W1AS89Y3A2&pd_rd_w=akGO2&pd_rd_wg=LvHn9&psc=1&refRID=AT444A3GC7W1AS89Y3A2

Personally, even if they say 24 or 28v  I bench test them at 30V for a couple days with a high load before using them in an aircraft.  Ideally with a hand-held radio and GPS receiver nearby. Of course I haven't done this in a while so maybe I should test out a few current ones since I think I'll need one soon.

Some Long Bodies built after 1994 got a voltage reducer/transformer installed back by the batteries...

This device powers the 12v cigarette lighter socket.

Many trucks and a few European cars went to 24v systems.  This makes the aviation version not so expensive...

If you are buying one at the store read the label...   12/24v input

read the output as well.  The number of amps is important to keep your iPad charging faster than it is discharging.

It is a consumer law to have this label.  So even your iPad charger had one.  Hard to read though... :)

Best regards,

-a-

Some of the modern versions of panel standards such as the IFD GPS units (2.1 amp) and the PMA 450a audio panel, include USB charging ports to keep portable items charged.  Both have the 2.1 amp ports required to charge an iPad, and the PMA 450a has a USB-C port that "rapid" charge an iPad while in use.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Some of the modern versions of panel standards such as the IFD GPS units (2.1 amp) and the PMA 450a audio panel, include USB charging ports to keep portable items charged.  Both have the 2.1 amp ports required to charge an iPad, and the PMA 450a has a USB-C port that "rapid" charge an iPad while in use.

Nice but sounds  like $$$$.. I was hoping for a quick fix.... something like a $40.00 aux charger. Some great suggestions  here. today to assist.

Thanks

Yeah, you certainly wouldn't buy a new audio panel just to get a charging port for your iPad. But if you're upgrading certain components already, it's a nice bonus. I fly a 28v bird, and I've got a 2 port USP charger in the cigarette lighter port as well. Just make sure its 2.1 amps on both ports and you're good to charge iPads easily.

55 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

It really is amazing how much and how rapidly the panel tools and accessories have changed... ..even more difficult the get everything working perfectly together on a aircraft platform that is now ( in my case ) 20 years old.

I found that the clearance between my yoke and the cigarette lighter socket on my ovation did not allow enough clearance to use the sportys 28 volt adapter as the yoke hit the cords etc.  I reviewed the amp supply for the lighter, removed it and installed three 2.1 amp usb outlets.  Do note that USB outlets are sold in two power output configurations, low 1 amp per port and 2.1 amp (there is a third 2.4 amp but it is certified and sells for about $400).  An Iphone will charge on 1 amp,  but foreflight on an Ipad MUST have 2.1 amps to stay viable.  Next you need to match the voltage of your plane.  I found that 28 volts and 2.1 amp per port meant that maybe one in twenty of the units on amazon were a match even though I searched for exactly the voltage and amps I wanted.  The amazon version cost me $12 per unit.  The blue power unit which is certified and sold through aircraft supply houses sells for $200 to $400 depending on size etc.  I installed one in the back seat arm rest and two up front on each side of the panel, using the correct size wire all run from the lighter.  mechanic signed it off as a minor as we made no change to the power demand by simply replacing the cig lighter.  Now we have better cord management and life is good.  No interference or electro magnetic frequency noise issues

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, glenn reynolds said:

I found that the clearance between my yoke and the cigarette lighter socket on my ovation did not allow enough clearance to use the sportys 28 volt adapter as the yoke hit the cords etc.  I reviewed the amp supply for the lighter, removed it and installed three 2.1 amp usb outlets.  Do note that USB outlets are sold in two power output configurations, low 1 amp per port and 2.1 amp (there is a third 2.4 amp but it is certified and sells for about $400).  An Iphone will charge on 1 amp,  but foreflight on an Ipad MUST have 2.1 amps to stay viable.  Next you need to match the voltage of your plane.  I found that 28 volts and 2.1 amp per port meant that maybe one in twenty of the units on amazon were a match even though I searched for exactly the voltage and amps I wanted.  The amazon version cost me $12 per unit.  The blue power unit which is certified and sold through aircraft supply houses sells for $200 to $400 depending on size etc.  I installed one in the back seat arm rest and two up front on each side of the panel, using the correct size wire all run from the lighter.  mechanic signed it off as a minor as we made no change to the power demand by simply replacing the cig lighter.  Now we have better cord management and life is good.  No interference or electro magnetic frequency noise issues

Pictures??? This sounds like a great idea.

I was very close of dropping some big cash (relatively speaking) for Spruces USB charger but I realise that the cheapest and safest option is simply carrying the smallest but highest performance USB power bank. And with careful planning and judcisou use of ipad, I can stretch the battery life of ipad well beyond the fuel range of my plane without even need to use the power bank.

The idea of a small wrong purchase decision can potentially cause catastrophic electrical events means the risk - albeit rare - needs to be mitigated. The problem with in car cigarette USB charger is that even the brand names are all made by China OEM and the quality isn't guaranteed! But you can't blame them because they are designed and manufactured these with car user in mind not pilots.