Which alternator to replace ALY-8420

type data sheet

http://www.67m20e.com/Mooney TCDS 2A3 Rev 52 dtd 9DEC10.pdf

....... Generators and Alternators
(a)Generator, 50 amp, Delco-Remy, 1101915.................................................. 16.6lbs. ................... -24.5
(b)Alternator 60 amp, Prestolite, ALY-8420 or (alternate) ALY8403, ALY6420 or
ALY8420M......................................... 10.3lbs. ................... -24.5
(c)Alternator, 70 amp, Prestolite, ALX-8403................................................... 10.3lbs. ................... -24.
  • Like 1

You might run into the same problem that I had plane power. So before Plane Power had a replacement kit on the market ..... years ago I  went through Lycoming's  IPC for O-360-A1D wide deck and ordered all the replacement parts to convert Generator  to Alternator, so  things like mounting brackets  and  the starter support assembly.  If I remember correctly  the starter support assembly ... (aka ring gear ) and Alternator has narrow belt 3/8", and  the Generator  belt which was 1/2" wide .  Where I  had the problem was there too much travel in the Alternator belt.  when I used on  standard  Presotlite   ALY series. alternato belt call out in the Lycoming IPC. So  my local Aviation Part guy track down the right part number fits and runs without any problems. So I am not sure how Plane Power Generator conversion kit deals  things like belt width and belt length,

James '67C

19 minutes ago, jamesm said:

You might run into the same problem that I had plane power. So before Plane Power had a replacement kit on the market ..... years ago I  went through Lycoming's  IPC for O-360-A1D wide deck and ordered all the replacement parts to convert Generator  to Alternator, so  things like mounting brackets  and  the starter support assembly.  If I remember correctly  the starter support assembly ... (aka ring gear ) and Alternator has narrow belt 3/8", and  the Generator  belt which was 1/2" wide .  Where I  had the problem was there too much travel in the Alternator belt.  when I used on  standard  Presotlite   ALY series. alternato belt call out in the Lycoming IPC. So  my local Aviation Part guy track down the right part number fits and runs without any problems. So I am not sure how Plane Power Generator conversion kit deals  things like belt width and belt length,

James '67C

I already had an alternator. was converted a long time ago.  The plane power fit the brackets pretty much perfectly as well as the belt.  IA signed it all off except my crappy safety wiring which I had to redo a couple times...

• Like 2

• 5 years later...
On 4/15/2017 at 8:04 PM, M20Doc said:

The 8520 series is the replacement for the 8420 series.  The Plane Power is another option.

Clarence

Sorry for hijack of the thread AND bringing the thread from the dead (double offense).

Will ALY8420RS work for 67F with IO-360A1A? I noticed that ALY8420 is approved per TCDS, but didnt see the 8420RS. What is the difference?

I have an opportunity to buy ALY8420 under $100.  Currently, I have a legacy generator Generator, 50 amp, Delco-Remy, 1101915.  I was thinking that installing an alternator will give me more power generation at the lower RPM, 10 more Amps, and lighter weight. 

The seller claims that the alternator came off the IO-360. I'm just hesitant because it has "RS" added in its model number. 

Is this the right part?

3 hours ago, ukrsindicat@yahoo.com said:

I called HartZell. They said the "RS" in the end of the part number means "Rebuilt" (R) and "without pulley" (S).

They said to convert the 67F with generator, I would need to use SAL12-70 STC. 

That’s one option, there is also a kit listed on the Mooney website, but availability might be an issue.

Clarence