Radios going missing in NC

This is just a heads up to some people in the south east. At 11:30 pm on 4/13/17 four of our planes here at 2GC were broken into and radios were stolen. KX155s to be exact. There was actually an instance where they broke into an aircraft with four bose headsets on board and only left with the KX155. Two other instances they left handheld GPSs in the aircraft. Seems like they are just targeting this one type of radio. I heard from an avionics shop that an airport south of Winston Salem was hit similar to us. Be careful if your plane is stored at a more rural airport without decent security measures. These guys were professionals and didn't really hurt anything. Also, keep an eye out for these radios, please!

Sorry to hear about those thefts.  That's very discomforting and invasive.  

But they take KX-155 radios only?  My first thought - good displays are now fetching $500 or more, and are not serial numbered.  Any careful person can pull the radios apart ("chop them up") and put subassemblies up on Internet auction sites.   

So, I suspect these radios are gone, but at least post the serial numbers as stolen.  

Edited by Jerry 5TJ

Honeywell created a black market by eliminating the vacuum display. If you lose a display on a 155 or 165 at this point your only option is to convert to digital which costs nearly what a used radio costs. The vacuum displays are pretty much unobtainium and when you do find one they are typically in the $800 range.

7 hours ago, Smitty said:

This is just a heads up to some people in the south east. At 11:30 pm on 4/13/17 four of our planes here at 2GC were broken into and radios were stolen. KX155s to be exact. There was actually an instance where they broke into an aircraft with four bose headsets on board and only left with the KX155. Two other instances they left handheld GPSs in the aircraft. Seems like they are just targeting this one type of radio. I heard from an avionics shop that an airport south of Winston Salem was hit similar to us. Be careful if your plane is stored at a more rural airport without decent security measures. These guys were professionals and didn't really hurt anything. Also, keep an eye out for these radios, please!

Thanks for the heads up! I live in NC myself

Were the planes on tie downs? Just wondering if those thieves are willing to break into hangars too?

Professional thieves will break into hangars. We had a similar rash several years ago in a few area airports here in south Jersey. All types of radios went missing. A hangar neighbor even had his GNS430 vacate the panel of his M20C! Cameras were installed shortly thereafter and the rash has not recurred. 

Isn't there a central database of serial numbers of stolen avionics? I think Garmin maintains one for their boxes.

Some years ago we had a similar situation with tied down aircraft at San Carlos. Only King radios were taken - several aircraft. And at Palo Alto airport six Beechcraft throw over yokes were stolen in one night. Now that was expensive for the owners. We had something like that at a marina where I berthed my sailboat. Six adjacent boats were broken into, and electronics, binoculars, and foul weather gear was stolen. No arrests no recoveries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I fist bought my aircraft over 10 yrs ago the Garmin 430 I just installed was stolen, It turned up on eBay several months later. It turns out a ring of thefts where happening up and down the east coast, the police even stopped the criminals but did not have cause to search or arrest them. when my Garmin appeared on eBay, I recognized a fingerprint smudge I put on the screen when i first installed it and hadn't cleaned off yet. I contacted the seller and asked for the serial number, he gave it to me! I passed the info on the the police along with the account owners info. Our pilot group up here are very resourceful and we had a lot of info including his picture, I didn't ask where it all came from but it was all accurate. the FBI took down the ring, and even recovered 430 for the insurance company. taking with them later they told me that there was a lot of avionics that they could not confirm the proper owners because of lack of serial number documentation. 

Brian

13 minutes ago, Mooney_Mike said:

I'm thinking of putting a game camera up in my hangar. Cheap security measure. My nephew has one and it takes some great pictures even at night.......

You would think the airports would do this. A little strip like 2GC, no fence, right next to the highway, is easy pick'ens.

KBPT is fairly secure since it is towered. It's also in Tejas, lots of firearms and bubbas not afraid to use them ;)

On 4/16/2017 at 11:11 AM, HRM said:

You would think the airports would do this. A little strip like 2GC, no fence, right next to the highway, is easy pick'ens.

KBPT is fairly secure since it is towered. It's also in Tejas, lots of firearms and bubbas not afraid to use them ;)

We have cameras up all over and saw the thieves in action but there was not enough detail for it to matter. All we determined from the video is it happened at 11:30pm.

For a privately owned facility with no funding we do the best we can. With that being said this is the first act like this in 17 years out here. I know it wont' be the last so we're vamping up lighting and motion sensors as we speak. 

1 hour ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I'm really sorry this happened but it is definitely best not to disclose your entire security plan in a public forum. 

Jim

Don't worry, I don't plan on telling everyone about the dog. Oh crap...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Smitty said:

Don't worry, I don't plan on telling everyone about the dog. Oh crap...

"These premises protected by guard dog three nights per week. Guess which three . . . "

This was my favorite sign at an auto junkyard I used to frequent.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Hey, You might want to check out the slide-in replacement for the KX155 that TKM Avionics just announced at Sun N Fun.  Predictably, they call it the MX155.  I have a couple of their MX170Cs in my Mooney and have had 10 years of trouble free service from them both. I've been really happy with them.

Jim

http://www.avweb.com/videos/TKMs-KX155-Radio-Replacement-228812-1.html

Didn't know this existed! Thanks a lot. Something for me to seriously consider.