WTB M20 C, E or F

Roger O

Hi Everyone!  OK, so I guess now it's my time to come to the members to help me get back into flying Mooneys.  I'm looking for an older C, E or F in decent shape, mid time engine, no corrosion, resealed tanks, good donuts.   My only must have feature is a coupled A/P.  I've even given in to a manual gear since I've been humiliated into the fact that older light weight women (no offense ladies!) have no problem swinging manual gear, it's all in the technique!

If anyone has what I'm interested in for sale, or knows someone who does, who has not advertised it all over the internet, please let me know.  You can PM me here, or my personal email; reodds at Hotmail dot com, or call me 516-431-55 four zero.

Thanks in advance to all of you!

Good morning Sherman, if you find something below $50k with a coupled a/p and a lot of time left on the engine I would think it would be a C. If you mean coupled glideslope and well as localizer you might have to look a long time. (Your other requirements are very reasonable.) As a IR pilot I would think you'd value a modern GPS and ADS-B for weather and traffic above hands free ILS capability. I find that a Mooney is pretty easy to keep on the glideslope with pitch and power and that even with an A/P I'm going to have a hand on the yoke and throttle anyway.  

Just now, Bob_Belville said:

Good morning Sherman, if you find something below $50k with a coupled a/p and a lot of time left on the engine I would think it would be a C. If you mean coupled glideslope and well as localizer you might have to look a long time. (Your other requirements are very reasonable.) As a IR pilot I would think you'd value a modern GPS and ADS-B for weather and traffic above hands free ILS capability. I find that a Mooney is pretty easy to keep on the glideslope with pitch and power and that even with an A/P I'm going to have a hand on the yoke and throttle anyway.  

I'd second that.  We have a KFC200 and I won't let it fly past the FAF.  Usually does OK on an LPV approach but not the ILS.  It tends to over correct.  The only thing I use the autopilot for is enroute cruise.  So all you really need is an autopilot that will track a course and hold an altitude.  Also, keep in mind, there are two experiment autopilots that will probably soon be approved for certified aircraft and can be installed for under $10,000.

19 hours ago, Sherman18 said:

If anyone has what I'm interested in for sale, or knows someone who does, who has not advertised it all over the internet, please let me know.  You can PM me here, or my personal email; reodds at Hotmail dot com, or call me 516-431-55 four zero.

Thanks in advance to all of you!

Sent you an email

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again.  I'm still looking for that 'prefect Mooney" for me.  I have seen several that are beautiful planes, but don't quite fit.  The main thing is my orthopedist really wants me to avoid the manual gear motion, so I must have electric gear, and I'd really like a 2 axis A/P.

Anyone?

Ask your orthopedist how a Long Body Mooney would work for you...

1) the gear switch is in the center of everything.  

2) As if the LB's panel was designed around it.

3) Some practice, training or try-out may be required.  The switch needs a few ounces of force pulling (at arms length) before moving up or down.

4) Done properly, the manual gear takes a similar amount of effort.  Balance the airspeed vs. spring tension...

5) Off the ground, stow the gear.  Easiest forces to overcome happen here.

6) Before getting to the traffic pattern, lower the gear. Easiest forces to overcome happen before here...

7) If you are serious about wanting manual gear, there is common gym equipment (LifeFitness) that can help measure arm strength of these motions.  The strength is measured in pounds of force done by one arm.

8) probably a good idea to ask your doctor before trying the exercise machine...

9) there is a side benefit of going to the gym too...

10) Young guys have fear of aging too.  Crunchy shoulder motion can be properly overcome.

11) If your butt comes off the seat while putting the gear up/bar down, you may have missed something...  :)

PP ideas only, not a gym rat (mostly).

Best regards,

-a-

You assume I'm a "young guy"!  Started on Medicare about a year ago, and want that plane while I can!  I had a '66 C awhile back (also electric gear, HSI, Century 2B), worst thing I did as get rid of it.  I've been trying to replace it since, so far, with no luck.  Too bad you sold your E before I could grab it from you...

Roger,

No assumption was made.

I was late thirties when I got my M20C. Crunchiness in the shoulder gave me something to work on...

I was young with aging shoulders.

Learning to fly my M20C without the benefit of the MS community was a big challenge.  The MAPA magazine was good, but hard to search through the history for articles....

Now I'm old enough to know and appreciate physical therapy.  I can see many people do this a few times per week.

The operation of the Mooney landing gear is not all that hard when you know how to work it.  

Like all things in aviation... it can be more challenging to learn for one person than it is for another person.

This is one of those things where you are going to have to want it to make it happen. Then take steps in the right direction.

Planning the possible route...

1) approval from the doc to make sure he is OK with your activity.

2) seek guidance from a trainer at the gym. They have backgrounds in physical therapy.  They start with the motions with no weights at first. Good quality Trainers cost a lot less than CFIs and avgas.

3) work your way up over time...

4) seek a flight instructor with an M20C or other manual gear Mooney.

5) go flying with a focus on gear operations.  It is like doing slow flight and stalls.  Gear ops are part of both...

6) the CFI has some unique skills, as he has to operate the gear left handed as well... :)

7) All of this costs money. It becomes worth it at the point you know you can use the manual gear or you know you need the electric switch.

8) This is a lot like using a manual transmission. A lot of practice, reading, training, to get all of the nuances of the various conditions. 

9) Lots of fun occurs after the skills and strengths are gained...

10) The worst that can happen...  you have to make a decision based on knowledge you gained about yourself.

How badly do you want the manual gear Mooney?  Some people really like their manual Mooneys.

These are the ideas of a PP, not a physical therapist or a CFI.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

I have a 1962 C model. Less than 400 hours on the engine 3400 on air frame. New prop and hub,no Eddy current needed. I have a standard 6 pack panel installed. Equipped with a GNS430W and a KX155 coupled to a S-etc 30 A/P win GPSS the 430W is hooked to a King HSI and the155 is stand alone GS. A JPI 700 with fuel flow. Removed all fuses and had breakers put in and post lighting/instruments. Manual gear and I had shoulder harnesses installed as well. Tanks were sealed along time ago and will need attention in the future. I am also a CFII. I wish you well on finding a Mooney in that price range your seeking as I have that much in my panel. I say this as to get what you're looking for as avionics have risen in price.  Now like other owners I need to look at ADS-B.

Best Wishes !!