Oshkosh 2017

So I'm thinking about maybe going to Airventure this year for the first few days, I was wondering for those who have gone what the days are like, what you recommend doing, and maybe some tips on making the trip more fun or easier

The best tip for more fun/easier is to fly/camp with the Mooney Caravan. It's the easiest/safest arrival into Oshkosh you can fly. And the Mooney Caravan camp includes a big tent, tables, chairs, for eating, lounging, including lights, generator, etc. It makes the camping part easier.

Of course you have to attend a clinic and get approved to fly with the Caravan.

• Like 1

You know, all of us figure an adventure to experience someday is flying into Oshkosh via that very detailed NOTAM.  But so far for me, since I'm interested in the show itself and not just the fly in/fly out, the best way is to fly to Appletton (Outagamie, officially) which is 20 or so miles north.  It's very festive there with, maybe, a couple hundred aircraft, but you have the ability to come and go as you please.  Just looking at the rows and rows of aircraft at Oshkosh I gotta believe that if you choose to depart at a common time you might find yourself in a long line.  Perhaps others with direct experience will speak up with better data.  For me, you'll find me at Outagamie again this year.  It seems the easiest most flexible way to see the show.

• Like 1

A long line of continuous quick departures.

Stuff happens fast, always good to bring a partner. If you have one.

There is one funky challenge.  The camping area can be pretty far from the departure point of the runway.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

I thought the departure was very quick and efficient. I did a quick run up as I taxied to the runway which required not much braking in the grass and I was off the ground in less than 5 minutes from the north 40

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 4/12/2017 at 9:18 PM, RobertE said:

You know, all of us figure an adventure to experience someday is flying into Oshkosh via that very detailed NOTAM.  But so far for me, since I'm interested in the show itself and not just the fly in/fly out, the best way is to fly to Appletton (Outagamie, officially) which is 20 or so miles north.  It's very festive there with, maybe, a couple hundred aircraft, but you have the ability to come and go as you please.  Just looking at the rows and rows of aircraft at Oshkosh I gotta believe that if you choose to depart at a common time you might find yourself in a long line.  Perhaps others with direct experience will speak up with better data.  For me, you'll find me at Outagamie again this year.  It seems the easiest most flexible way to see the show.

Naw!  Putting a pile of Mooneys on the runway, 2 at a time, with 39 of your bestest friends - that is the way to go to AirVenture.  Five minutes from Mooney Lead touchdown to Mooney Tail touchdown.

Safest way to arrive. If you don't believe me, ask Princess Buttercup.  She can tell you all about the diamond lane.

Million times more sane than the Fisk arrival.   

And getting out?  Dawn patrol style.  201er, Rocket, and us.  Three ship on 27. Here is Mike (201er) leading at 10,000' crossing the eastern edge of Lake Michigan.  Paul (Rocket) is in the number 2 slot.

:D:D5953e9ce6f2f8_MikeintheLeadandPaulin2slot.thumb.png.3acf53bc346a8ce722275446497380cd.png

• Like 6

On 4/12/2017 at 7:11 PM, gsxrpilot said:

The best tip for more fun/easier is to fly/camp with the Mooney Caravan. It's the easiest/safest arrival into Oshkosh you can fly. And the Mooney Caravan camp includes a big tent, tables, chairs, for eating, lounging, including lights, generator, etc. It makes the camping part easier.

Of course you have to attend a clinic and get approved to fly with the Caravan.

This sounds like an amazing experience. Maybe next year. How do you get into the caravan?  

9 minutes ago, PostMan said:

This sounds like an amazing experience. Maybe next year. How do you get into the caravan?  

You need to attend a formation clinic and become proficient flying formation.  It's not difficult and actually can noticeably improve your flying. The Mooney Caravan hosts formation clinics every year around the country.  Watch the Caravan section on this forum, or visit the Mooney Caravan website for dates/locations.  There are a couple of other ways to get proficient as well. The B2OSH Beechcraft clubs also run clinics and welcome Mooney owners to participate. We accept their recommendations for proficiency. You can also attend a FAST clinic hosted by a number of different organizations such as the Red Star Pilots group.

We have a very active Texas Wing in the Austin/Houston/San Antonio area. So if you're ever this far west, we'd be happy to introduce you to formation flying.

• Like 1

The NOTAM for Airventure 2017 is available here https://www.eaa.org/~/media/files/airventure/flyingin/2017-airventure-notam-final- 03-29-17.pdf.

It's worthwhile to download if thinking of going this year.  Your information is incorrect regarding IFR departures. If the field is IFR, all aircraft movement is prohibited unless on an IFR clearance/flight plan. If the field is IFR, you just have to have a clearance like any other field.

• Like 2

Having been more than 30 times, I have flown in, driven in and stayed as far north as Green Bay.  Each method has pros and cons.  The last number of years we've flown in and camped and had fun.  

No issues arriving or departing by plane, you just have to be comfortable flying your plane at the lower end of the performance curve while in lose formation.

Clarence

On 4/17/2017 at 4:20 PM, Brandontwalker said:

Slight thread drift, but a hangar neighbor told me that departures are not allowed if weather is IFR. Anyone know the truth of this statement. I am trying to plan for possible delays on the outbound side. My plan is to leave the Wednesday morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know the answer to this question?  I've made IFR departures out of Appleton.  If Oshkosh restricts them (weird and a bit surprising) that would definitely spoil a lot of plans.

IFR departures are restricted out of all airports. You don't get out until there is a slot for you in the system. This isn't unique to Oshkosh. What is unique to Oshkosh is the number of planes on the field. But you can also expect that only a percentage of them are IFR equipped and flown by IFR pilots. I certainly wouldn't let the possibility that an IFR departure might be required, dissuade you from attending the show. ATC at Oshkosh is top shelf!

• Like 3

Modern technology will probably help get a slot reserved that will work.

knowledge on how to file IFR and pick up the clearance while airborn away from the crowded spot would be helpful...

departing KOSH on a busy morning is a really long conga line.  Trying to fit in a scheduled IFR departure is going to take some knowledge of the system.  

See if Paul/Rocket's posted Notam has the instructions...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Reviving this thread, could not find an official airventure thread started anywhere. Who all here is going to KOSH this year? I am coming in with a friend in his Malibu Wed-Friday. Would love to meet up with some of you guys!

5 minutes ago, N6758N said:

Reviving this thread, could not find an official airventure thread started anywhere. Who all here is going to KOSH this year? I am coming in with a friend in his Malibu Wed-Friday. Would love to meet up with some of you guys!

There's a new thread started yesterday by our Canadian "wing" seeking attendees for a Monday evening MooneySpace get together at the Mooney Caravan tent in the North Forty. Pizza, beer, and name tags with MS names... Find that thread and tell them you're coming. 

Edit: Oops. Just noticed you're not getting there until Wed.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

There's a new thread started yesterday by our Canadian "wing" seeking attendees for a Monday evening MooneySpace get together at the Mooney Caravan tent in the North Forty. Pizza, beer, and name tags with MS names... Find that thread and tell them you're coming. 

Edit: Oops. Just noticed you're not getting there until Wed.

Thanks Bob, I did see that thread but was just looking for general attendance for those of us getting there later on. Maybe we can plan a meet up for later in the week?

21 minutes ago, N6758N said:

Thanks Bob, I did see that thread but was just looking for general attendance for those of us getting there later on. Maybe we can plan a meet up for later in the week?

We'll be driving in this year.. camping from Fri-Sun.  Can't wait! 

31 minutes ago, N6758N said:

Maybe we can set up a later meeting as well. Last year some of us met at a food spot near the Mooney International space in the middle of the day. I recall Marauder was there... 

• Like 2

If you absolutely have to get into and out  of Oshkosh on a tight schedule then just skip the trip or land elsewhere.  There are hundreds of airplanes looking to get in and out the whole time the field is operating.  While it isn't that big a deal, you do have to bring your A game and be able to land where they tell you.  If you land at 100 mph and take up 4000 feet every time then Oshkosh just isn't for you.

But, if you're a pilot and can fly and land your airplane at set speeds and distances, if you can stomach flying around other aircraft, and if you can handle a few distractions without dropping out of the sky, Oshkosh is the most fun you will ever have in your life.  You will land an taxi with everything from hot experimentals to WWII Fighters.  You will see just about every kind of aircraft every made by anyone.  You can look for anything airplane related, and see what the new airplanes look like inside and out.  You can ever take a ride in one of those experimentals and see if its for you.  You will share a giant festival with 10,000 of your fellow pilots.

But if you aren't pilot, if your aircraft tis just a tool and not a passion, then just stay home.

Edited by steingar
  • Like 1

Getting into what the OP was asking-  

Can you walk well and long distances? You will need to do that at the show. Learn how the transfer buses work all over the grounds and use them to cut down on your walking. If you have physical problems with walking long distances rent a scooter but do it early, they sell out for the entire week. 

Get a layout from EAA and PLAN where you want to go and see each day. Don't just wander around trying to find things. Its a looong way from one end to the other.

Food and water are there but at times pricey and crowded. Eat at unusual times to shorten the lines and get a seat. Eat with 2 so one can secure a seat and one can get the food. Can't bring in a lot of stuff.

The sun can brutal if its out. Sunscreen and hats.  Bring a folding umbrella and a couple large garbage bags to use as a rain coat or to sit on on the grass to watch the airshow. its always wet on the grass when you sit down. 

Plan any seminars early and locate them on the map. Sometimes they are hard to find. 

Be ready for "sensory overload" the first day until you get used to all that is happening all the time. 

YOU WON'T SEE EVERYTHING NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU TRY

• Like 3

11 hours ago, cliffy said:

Food and water are there but at times pricey and crowded. Eat at unusual times to shorten the lines and get a seat. Eat with 2 so one can secure a seat and one can get the food. Can't bring in a lot of stuff.

So what do folks do that are camping there the whole week?  I will be this year and looking for what people have done for food in the past.

Bring as much as you can, but realize all your stuff will be a mile away from where you are when you want it...

There is a Grocery store a bus ride away...

busy restaurant on the other side of the fence...

Lots of walking.

Lots of food truck style dining.

Lots of expensive beverages.

Lots of cool airplanes, parts, bits and pieces, and avionics galore.

The manufacturers and their reps will all be there.

Many MSers, and Mooney formators will be there. Formators are rumored to live on single malt beverages...

Sunscreen and bug repellent are key.

It really helps to have a cell phone with weather radar to help plan your day.

Bring a portable battery to support your phone charging convenience...

It takes about two whole days to rush through the whole thing.

PP memories of KOSH...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1