NY/NJ Area Shop Recommendations for Annual

glenv6

Agree Airmods and Weber are the choices if you really want  Mooney-specific expertise.  Neither are cheap, Weber is a bit higher for base rate annual but lack of sales tax in PA for aircraft maintenance offsets somewhat.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DXB said:

Agree Airmods and Weber are the choices if you really want  Mooney-specific expertise.  Neither are cheap, Weber is a bit higher for base rate annual but lack of sales tax in PA for aircraft maintenance offsets somewhat.

Would you be able to provide ballpark of the base rates I might expect to see with Airmods or Weber?

True but I think Dave does take on a good bit of the sheetmetal intensive jobs himself. I have also had great experiences with Dorn at Weber, however his partner/manager Steve was very rude to myself and another MSer last time I was at Weber...

Webers is excellent and fair highly recommend  them. Dorm and Steve are both very nice ,  with different jobs and personalitys. call Dorn and ask with any questions , I usually dealt with Dorn always extremely knowledgeable and super nice to talk to. You will be happy with your choice. Also Lancaster avionics and sensenich propeller in one place. It does not get any better

Edited by quik flite

I now have a fair amount of experience with  Airmods and generally like them. It seems that Shane oversees most of the day to day maintenance operation and is hands on for some of the more complicated work.  He has always been reasonable and responsive with me.  Dave seems to  provide looser but higher level supervision and gets involved hands on in specific jobs. He is  a good guy and a senior guru in the Mooney world but may not be too involved in many of the jobs.  As with other busy shops, there will be multiple people wtih varied experience levels working on your plane during an annual, so there is room for miscommunication.  They are not perfect.  Written instructions, inquisitiveness on details, and regular followup communication from the owner goes a long way toward a positive outcome.

• Like 1

Thanks again for all the great info!  Glad (relieved) to find there is no shortage of good shops in the area. 

I talked to a few shops and really liked what Shane at Airmods had say.  I am on their schedule in May.  I think my plane is in excellent airworthiness condition, I hope the factory service center thinks so too!

• 4 months later...

Better late than never with this post :).... 

I ended up going to AirMods for my annual in May and could not be happier with the result.  Shane was awesome to work with and the shop did an excellent job overall.  They didn't waste my money.  They tackled only the airworthy items and they made notes and suggestions on other things.  I was shocked, stunned and amazed to find out that rigging was included in their price.  I ended up having them do the gear donuts as they recommended, and boy am I glad I did - it feels like a new plane on the ground.

So, I highly recommend AirMods.  You won't be disappointed.

Best to all

Glen

• Like 5