I Need Some Buying Help

Roger O

Hi Everyone.  I recently saw this ad from Aircraft Ownership Solutions (http://aircraftownershipsolutions.com/inventory/1976+mooney+m20f+executive+n14483/535).  Does anyone here have any experience with this particular company, and what is your opinion of the plane?

Thanks for your help and advice!

No damage history, price is in the correct general area but probably still a little high for the avionics and the fact that the plane only flew 175 hours in 20 yrs. looks like the most recent owner listed bought into the plane around 2000, the previous engine and prop overhaul were in 1997. worth looking at, but look hard and expect problems from sitting so long.

Brian

Quick look at the log books and I defiantly would have a Mooney knowledgeable shop look at it, I am betting there are a lot of little things that need attention and will do a lot of nickle and dimeing  for the first few years of ownership. over all looks like a nice plane, avionics will be a major expense so factor that in.

Brian 

Nice mods, I would like those on my F, but only averaging 8.75 hours per year over the past 20 since the engine and prop were overhauled would make me nervous, 40K+ to overhaul both.  Also as orionflt mentioned older avionics, easily 25K+ to upgrade with WAAS GPS - ADSB and repair/replace the autopilot.

Figure $2000 to get the Brittian fixed. $1100 for a new set of hoses. Maybe not as concerned about the engine because it was before the bad metallurgy of the 90s.  Engines are a crapshoot.  Just figure $2000. for at least one cylinder. The 170B radios are pretty darn reliable.  Just no flip flop.  Check for corrosion.   Since it has all the 201 mods it should go supersonic.

• Like 1

When I was looking, I visited them to see a J-model about 1.5 years ago.  The airplane was well-presented, appropriately priced and cleaned.  I thought the company seemed honest and fair, and they were in a nice hangar/office.  They had several other aircraft in their hangar, too.

I considered buying their Mooney, but I found a better deal shortly thereafter; more expensive, but better equipped.  If they had been willing to offer me a trade for my C-152, I would have likely bought their Mooney.

The late model F is a great plane--I love mine. Everything everyone is saying makes sense. Airplanes need to fly to stay healthy and this one hasn't so pay super close attention to: 1) the engine (boroscope each cylinder), compressions, oil analysis, etc, 2) check the roll cage and all links for corrosion (texas is humid!), 3) those radios blow...4) see if you can get Don Maxwell to do a prebuy for you. She sure does look nice though and if you find she is relatively problem free and can get her for $45K, go for it!! 

I personally wouldn't touch the plane with the avionics it has. I wouldn't spend anything on the Brittain, so a new autopilot will start at $15K, add another 15K for a WAAS GPS. That would get me to a minimum panel. Then I'd have to have an engine monitor, $3K and ADSB, $3K. 

If a late model F is worth $60K, I don't see it as a good deal at $45.

Just my $0.02

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I personally wouldn't touch the plane with the avionics it has. I wouldn't spend anything on the Brittain, so a new autopilot will start at $15K, add another 15K for a WAAS GPS. That would get me to a minimum panel. Then I'd have to have an engine monitor, $3K and ADSB, $3K. 

If a late model F is worth $60K, I don't see it as a good deal at $45.

Just my $0.02

Fair point!

Paul, I can always count on you to be level headed especially when emotion can easily cloud the issues.  I totally agree,  IF I could buy the plane at $45k (which is doubtful), the amount of necessary work to get it up to speed makes it not worth it - unless money is no object, and I MUST have this particular plane, which is certainly not the case on both points.

Thank you!

The ad clearly says 201 cowl.  It either is or it isn't.  

If it isn't, that would fall into a category related to truth in advertising.

I don't like to go to see a machine and try to review everything to see if the seller is telling the truth.  He either is or he isn't.

A 201 cowl is a very expensive mod.  A cowl closure is a nice mod and is expensive. Any prof. Mooney seller knows the difference.

The paint looks like it has not been finished after a cowl closure has been installed.  Unfortunate choice if it is actually a 201 cowl.  The air inlets look like a 201 cowl... may be the top cowl is from a 201. But the bottom cowl has a closure...?

call or visit before going far to be dissapointed...

Always good to get the logs emailed to you.  They will have all the parts that have been installed by who, when...

verify everything in the ad, is represented properly in the logs....

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

The plane has a SWTA windshield and it appears to be their cowl as well. There are some expensive mods on the plane. The offsetting factors are the avionics (something I know a little about in an F) and the potential risk associated with lack of use.

To bring the panel out of the Stone Age, you will need to toss $20 to $30 AMU and still would be faced with more that could be done.

This would be a great plane for someone to pick up at a reasonable price and bring back to life.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Tru Track Autopilot looks like is going to be a $5000.  You could sell the Brittian for $2000 Used WAAS GPS for $7000. KX155 for $2000.  ADSB is coming down.  Probably about $1000 in a year.

It is still probably priced a bit over what it should go for.

Hey @gsxrpilot do you want to sell me your oxygen set up?

6 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I wouldn't spend anything on the Brittain, so a new autopilot will start at $15K

A respectfully dissenting opinion:

We bought our 1976 F model with an inop Brittain B-5 system, and eventually restored it to fully operational condition.  The downsides are that it took a lot of time and energy to do so, and the end result doesn't perform nearly as well as a modern digital autopilot.  The upside is that our total investment - and I mean total investment over the last 10+ years for everything from overhauled servo boots, to flaky rotary switches, to IRAN'd valves, remote compass unit, etc - is well under $2K.  This for a 3-axis autopilot that holds altitude, tracks headings, courses, performs approach intercepts (lateral only, no vertical), and works well with the GI-106 indicator driven by our GTN-650.  Brittain can even set you up with GPSS if you like, though we haven't gone that route.

It's not a great autopilot compared with modern options, and I wouldn't recommend taking on the job of fixing one unless you're a techie type who really enjoys reading the old manuals and doing a lot of owner-assisted maintenance with the help of a friendly A&P.  But the support from Brittain has been great, and the value for the dollar is absolutely unbeatable.

Edited by Vance Harral
  • Like 1

The nicest F model I've seen recently is N2977L http://www.selectaviationservices.com/1967mooneym20fexec21.html

However, it has been sitting as well. The Avionics are usable and has an autopilot. I don't know what the consensus is on its valuation but I think its close to being priced right.

I'm just a casual window shopper and happened to come across it. I don't know anything beyond whats on the website.