Wrapping Your Prostate in a Bow

Deciding to take a day off from my incredibly hectic, and oh so stressful daily schedule, and while perusing cyber space this morning, I came across an article that may of interest to some other  "geezer" :P Mooney pilots. 

https://pilot-protection-services.aopa.org/News/2017/April/01/Wrapping-Your-Prostate-in-a-Bow?utm_source=eBrief&utm_medium=Content

Funny, I agree.  Kinda like one of our local businesses is named "Bend Chiropractor".  And, one of our banking institutions is named "Rabobank"  People think I'm joking when I mention my banks name! 

Humor is indeed the very best medicine! :)

• Like 1

On Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 0:14 AM, MooneyMitch said:

Careful now...... the premise of this thread is meant to be quite serious in nature. :angry:

True, and thank you for bring it up (pun intended).

If you pee often, get up 3 times or more at night to urinate, or have other signs of LUTS, you have BPH. We all have it when we get into our 50's.

Many of the medications given for it are not on the FAA approved list, have nasty side effects, and don't work very well anyhow.

UroLift is one of a handful of unproven aids, a TURP (Roto-Rooter of the prostate) is not for the faint of heart, even as urologists call it 'the gold standard'.

If your symptoms persist, consider a 3T MRI and a fusion guided biopsy. That, at least, has the best chance of telling you what's going on.

If it's prostate cancer, which about one in six of us will get, you're looking down a whole new rabbit hole. Don't believe the uninformed "what-me-worry" advise from people about prostate cancer, even MD's.

At that point, flying will be the least of your concerns, and you should start doing lots of homework. The science of urology is ever changing, and the more they learn, the more they realize they don't know. Prostate cancer kills almost 30,000 men a year!

I know from whence I speak. Fly healthy out there!

• Like 1