Propeller Upgrade or Overhaul?

I'm just working on budgeting for my plane over the next few years and the propeller is something that is due.

Just looking for experiences.

I'm considering the MT 3 blade because it is lighter and gives more clearance.

But some people are of the opinion that they are terrible and wear out faster than aluminum.

If I stick with an Alum 3 blade I don't gain any clearance and not sure if it's really worth it.

I do have TKS so there is a bit of an extra cost to upgrade that too.

What are others doing?

image2.JPG

I believe Don Maxwell said the three prop blade (MT) on the M20k was the only upgrade he would ever pay for (or something like that).  I cant remember where I saw that, but it helped shorten takeoff role, increased climb, lower the weight on the nose without any speed penalty.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, FBCK said:

I believe Don Maxwell said the three prop blade (MT) on the M20k was the only upgrade he would ever pay for (or something like that).  I cant remember where I saw that, but it helped shorten takeoff role, increased climb, lower the weight on the nose without any speed penalty.

That is what Maxwell told me as well. I bought one for my K and am very happy with it. A little pricey at about $14AMU, but it is worth it, if only for the smoothness and quietness. It does leap off the ground and has the added advantage of more drag/deceleration when landing. I am not such a stickler for keeping up with speeds that I can say for sure, but I don't notice any difference in cruise speed. It is a mild PITA removing the lower cowling, but it's not too bad. I can still take it off and put it back on by myself.

• Like 2

I went three blade TopProp. Stayed with aluminum only because there was not a whole lot of other Mooney owners going with the light weight composite materials.

lighter would be good on the nose.  But the low inertia on the engine left me with concerns... if you see an engine shut down with one, you'll know what I mean. There is little fly-wheel effect.

There are probably plenty of planes using the MT on an IO550 now...

The TopProp also has a composite version I believe...

Both companies are pretty good with technical support.  Call or email for their tech guidance.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

I have had a 3 blade MT on my 400 HP Comanche for 5 years with no complaints.  It's lighter, smoother and faster than the Hartzell I removed. On the K model the lower cowl is a bit more difficult to remove with the 3 blade.  If nickel leading edges are available I would go for them.

Clarence

6 hours ago, Godfather said:

In Canada they do not have the option to wait until it starts slinging oil. They have a 7 or 10 year limit on OH. 

In Canada we have a 10 year or manufacturers TBO which ever comes first overhaul requirement for constant speed propellers and a 5 year corrosion inspection for fixed pitch propellers.

Clarence

Hartzel recommends 10 year overhaul, at least on my 3 blade.  My A&P mentioned it to me at annual.  I did not have it overhauled, as it is working fine with no leaks.  I would also only IRAN not full overhaul.

Talk to Cody Stallings on this site - our own Money owner and prop professional.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

In Canda we have no choice in the matter, it's a requirement in the regulations, Cody won't be able to change the regs.

Clarence

Point taken on the Canadian regs.  Cody is still very helpful with prop questions