United Incident

Tommy

Wait until you get the whole story. The leggings incident was actually a nonrev passenger travelling on a nonrev pass, in violation of the dress code. All the sensational news forgot that part, which changes everything. I would suspect this is simlar, that the computer selected someone for an involuntary bump, which is in accordance with the contract of carriage.  If the passenger refuses to deplane, (just as if they are asked to leave for being disruptive, drunk, or otherwise), they are removed. Those passnegers getting on werent employee standbys, most likely, must rides to crew another flight.

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 3

I honestly cannot believe that you think there is more to the story? Then went on to say that it's in the contract of carriage. I am sure it doesn't say United will endeavour to beat you to the pulp if you don't voluntarily give up your seat. 

Sorry, how can I put this gently to you. You sir, are an imbecile... 

5 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

Wait until you get the whole story. The leggings incident was actually a nonrev passenger travelling on a nonrev pass, in violation of the dress code. All the sensational news forgot that part, which changes everything. I would suspect that the conputer selected someone for an involuntary bump, which is in accordance with the contract of carriage.  Those passnegers getting on werent employee standbys, most likely, must rides to crew another flight.

1 minute ago, Tommy said:

I honestly cannot believe that you think there is more to the story? Then went on to say that it's in the contract of carriage. I am sure it doesn't say United will endeavour to beat you to the pulp if you don't voluntarily give up your seat. 

No sir, I am an employee of the company, and you are not. And I can tell you that a passenger involuntarily bumped doesnt have the option to stay on the plane. It sucks, and its rare, but it can happen. 

If they decide to get stupid and sit in protest, this will happen. Same as any other belligerent passenger.  After that, they are a safety concern, since they wont follow crewmember instructions. thats how we do in the USA at least, I am unsure what they do in Australia.

If you cant understand that, well then, I feel sorry for your family.

Edited by jetdriven
  • Like 5

Not so long ago there was a time when people would be outraged by scenes like this, but it appears that with so much video flying around on a daily basis that we are becoming desensitized to scenes like this. To me that tells me one thing, that the huge conglomerates are winning because we don't give a damn anymore just as long as we are personally left alone to go about our business.

• Like 1

This situation has to be analyzed in steps. If you want to be mad at United for overbooking; go right ahead. If you want to be mad at them for having a system that allows someone to get on a plane before it is determined that he should be on it; go ahead. If those don't upset you, then you look at someone who is on a plane that must be asked to get off. If he decides to refuse, what do you think the airline is supposed to do? They could acquiesce, make someone else get off and take off, or they can use force and remove him from the plane.

Be upset for the right reason.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

No sir, I am an employee of the company, and you are not. And I can tell you that a passenger involuntarily bumped doesnt have the option to stay on the plane. It sucks, and its rare, but it can happen. 

If they decide to get stupid and sit in protest, this will happen. Same as any other belligerent passenger.  After that, they are a safety concern, since they wont follow crewmember instructions. thats how we do in the USA at least, I am unsure what they do in Australia.

If you cant understand that, well then, I feel sorry for your family.

I can ensure you if any airline pulls this stunt in Australia, it will go out of business in 3 days. 

THIS GUY PAYS FOR YOUR SALARY. And you have the audacity to call him stupid? Just wait until you find out he is a cardiologist or a neurosurgeon.

36 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

They could acquiesce, make someone else get off and take off, or they can use force and remove him from the plane.

Using strong-arm tactics by police is not the answer. Everyone has their price and United should have upped the ante until someone shouted out BINGO and danced off the plane.

I yearn for the days when America was a kinder, gentler nation.

• Like 8

Just now, DonMuncy said:

This situation has to be analyzed in steps. If you want to be mad at United for overbooking; go right ahead. If you want to be mad at them for having a system that allows someone to get on a plane before it is determined that he should be on it; go ahead. If those don't upset you, then you look at someone who is on a plane that must be asked to get off. If he decides to refuse, what do you think the airline is supposed to do? They could acquiesce, make someone else get off and take off, or they can use force and remove him from the plane.

How about up the offer to say 2k or more until there is a taker? 

And I see how you conveniently left out the "beating the crap out" part...

• Like 1

I don't care care if you are right or wrong. I don't think the community on Mooneyspace likes those who start calling names. Don't need it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Just now, gsengle said:

I don't care care if you are right or wrong. I don't think the community on Mooneyspace likes those who start calling names.

I do sincerely apologise. I will retract now I know he is merely trying to be a good United employee.

They should've upped the compensation offer until they got volunteers. It's their fault they overbooked so badly and had a crew in the wrong place. They could've sent the crew on another flight, even a competitor, and this would not be all over the news today. There are a lot of better options they could've taken.

It is also very sad that airliners are allowed to overbook routinely, and have the power of the government behind them to beat up passengers that did nothing wrong besides choosing to fly commercially.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The security may or may not have been in their right to forcibly remove the customer.  A pilot in command has the right to deny a passenger to fly once it is deemed the passenger is unruly, so I it is I understand.  So there may be a case there.  I don't know.  Not my specialty.

But this is clear to me - how UGLY and AWFUL!  I think that will be clear to millions and millions of viewers of this video.  It is also likely that there will be a lawsuit.  Whether or not this customer wins the suit - I am for darned certain that there will be more than $800 spent on lawyers, and possibly a lot a lot more spent if the customers wins an assault, battery, and mental anguish claim.  It would have been cheaper to offer significantly rich offers for someone(s) to volunteer their way off the plane, even if that ended up being 2k each.  Not to mention....ummm....I will remember what airline this is when I don't book them again, and I bet a few million more people will too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

How about up the offer to say 2k or more until there is a taker? 

And I see how you conveniently left out the "beating the crap out" part...

I must have missed the "beating the crap out" part. I only saw him being dragged out. I'm willing to be educated, and I do not condone beating someone under these circumstances.

I also do not agree that someone should be allowed to defy a proper request to deplane and force someone to pay any amount he wants to comply. You must understand, I do not know the terms and conditions under which the situation happened. I am only saying if the decision was properly made that he had to get off, then the forcible removal was correct.

United clearly screwed up. Whether they were in the right or wrong, and whether the United employees were traveling to ensure 100+ people didn't get stuck in Louisville, they did a horrific job from a customer service and pr standpoint, and I'm afraid will pay a price in lost business....

But we also live in a country where customers think that by being obstinate a-holes they can get what they want. It's a bit of a cultural death spiral. The employees are no doubt exhausted from dealing with difficult people who think being difficult is how you get what you want.

• Like 1

Just now, KSMooniac said:

It is also very sad that airliners are allowed to overbook routinely, and have the power of the government behind them to beat up passengers that did nothing wrong besides choosing to fly commercially.

I don't agree with that point. Overbooking is a tool that has been used and perfected down to a science over the past few decades. The carriers know with pinpoint accuracy just how many people will show up for a flight and plan accordingly.

There are two adages used in the airline business. The first one is, once that plane leaves the gate, there's no filling those empty seats. The second is, if you want to become a millionaire, start off in the airline business as a billionaire.

According to my frequent flyer accounts, I have flown over three million miles over the past 30 years. I can't ever recall being involuntarily bumped even once.

• Like 1

The reality is if you don't comply with air crew instructions and it continues to escalate you will be forcibly ejected and arrested. I don't see any way around this.

9 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

I must have missed the "beating the crap out" part. I only saw him being dragged out. I'm willing to be educated, and I do not condone beating someone under these circumstances.

I also do not agree that someone should be allowed to defy a proper request to deplane and force someone to pay any amount he wants to comply. You must understand, I do not know the terms and conditions under which the situation happened. I am only saying if the decision was properly made that he had to get off, then the forcible removal was correct.

This guy was knocked unconscious with blood coming out of his mouth / nose. The second video showed he is exhibiting classic post-concussion symptoms. If that's not a beat up, what is? 

So all decisions? Including this one? What about wearing the leggings? Speaking in Arabic? Where do you draw the line? And why do you think there is such a backlash if the decision to remove him is, according to you, properly made?

2 minutes ago, gsengle said:

The reality is if you don't comply with air crew instructions and it continues to escalate you will be forcibly ejected and arrested. I don't see any way around this.

So you don't think the rule has been abused in this case?

So you don't think the rule has been abused in this case?

So an airliner can be hijacked by a passenger that refuses to comply because he feels it's unfair?

We don't know all the facts. If you are instructed to deplane and they have to call airport police and you continue to resist you're either a fool or looking for an excuse for a lawsuit. Neither of which is admirable.

• Like 2