Gps antenna wiring

salty

It can technically, it does have an internal antenna. But the STC requires an external antenna. 

Im going to check how well it gets a signal inside the instrument panel, but I expect it won't get much. 

the G5 internal GPS is not a WAAS GPS so you could even use the old RG-58. You can use the GA56 antenna 

If you do have to install, might as well put quality low loss cable like the RG-400 (although it is very rigid and a bit tougher to route) 

26 minutes ago, OR75 said:

the G5 internal GPS is not a WAAS GPS so you could even use the old RG-58. You can use the GA56 antenna 

If you do have to install, might as well put quality low loss cable like the RG-400 (although it is very rigid and a bit tougher to route) 

I might as well put a good antenna on. When I get a proper gps, I can use this antenna and feed the signal from it to the G5. 

It might be that certified radios usually get two separate manuals.  One for install and one for users...

The experimental population, the builder and the pilot may be the same reader.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Sometimes it is best to just hire a professional.  Then they can tend to these details for you. 

A professional would not buy a cable with pre built connectors. Or try to pull a cable with a connector on it. I'm not sure where this conversation is going. Ive already got the cable and connectors and will get it done this weekend. 

Edited by salty

17 hours ago, jetdriven said:

Garmin also usually has a minimum length to get the proper loss. The manual should show that. 

That's a new for me..usually it defines a max db loss which at 1575 MHz which for the ga-35 antenna means LMR-400 triple shielded low loss coax.The ga-35 are very common waas antennas used for every thing from 430w/530w,avadynes,etc and aren't that sensitive to cable length within reason.A lot easier to crimp connectors after the cable pull.

3 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Perhaps our planned installations are different. It was quite easy for me to measure the length of antenna coax cable I will need, and installing it with the connectors installed will not be difficult.

Best of luck with your installation.  

Just curious where you are putting it? 

2 hours ago, nsrrlearjet said:

I am getting a GTN 650 & 345 installed in June. I will also need a 106 indicator. Can i use a G5 in lieu of the 106 indicator or do i need both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you mean the G5 HSI or the AI?  The certified version turns off the nav on the AI unless you have a G5 HSI unit attached as well. If you are talking about the HSI only I would say it will make a great replacement to the 106. 

Do you mean the G5 HSI or the AI?  The certified version turns off the nav on the AI unless you have a G5 HSI unit attached as well. If you are talking about the HSI only I would say it will make a great replacement to the 106. 

I believe it is a dg & hsi with gps nav interfaced with the 650.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk