I think I can get used to this mooney stuff.

teg916

1 hour ago, mike_elliott said:

I cant wait to get over to spruce creek and go for a ride in your beautiful new plane, Tom. You know how many USC cheerleaders will fit in an Acclaim? None. it doesn't burn Jet A

University of Spoiled Children.  Hah!

27 minutes ago, BradB said:

I've seen other pictures of that Acclaim.  That's a beautiful plane.  The owner is on here and is a great guy, too.  Nice work @mike_elliott   

I completely agree, David is a class act with one sweet TN. This is his record, he is just too modest to weenie wag about it.

Being the unofficial judge in this contest, I think you guys need to post more of your panel, specifically YOUR VSI!! Not that I don't believe you, but when we have guys around claiming Garmin is the best and that they are able to fly LOP on 2 tablespoons, I want evidence!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

Just now, Marauder said:

Being the unofficial judge in this contest, I think you guys need to post more of your panel, specifically YOUR VSI!! Not that I don't believe you, but when we have guys around claiming Garmin is the best and that they are able to fly LOP on 2 tablespoons, I want evidence!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Done,,,see the flightaware log track S&L FL25

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N82CG/history/20170406/2100Z/KRQO/KPDK

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

I cant wait to get over to spruce creek and go for a ride in your beautiful new plane, Tom. You know how many USC cheerleaders will fit in an Acclaim? None. it doesn't burn Jet A

I'm trying to talk my wife into one last trip down later this week for 5-6 days before the weather gets so miserably hot us "northerners" can't handle it anymore.  Would love to host your visit, meet you and share some stick time in the new ride.

Tom

Here's my best in the Lancair during straight and level.  That's 14.5 MPG on cheaper Jet-A (than avgas).  What's really funny is my daughter saying she wondered where a Jet came from that landed at Spruce Creek while we were sitting on the deck watching planes land.  I said I will tell you in just a minute and looked it up on Flight Aware.  I told her it came out of central Illinois and, wait a minute, he filed the exact same speed as I did (300 knots, 345 mph) and as a Citation 1, burned 160 gallons an hour to my 30 GPH.  WOW.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N994PT/history/20170309/1530Z/KIMT/KDLZ/tracklog

Thu 09:58:20 AM 44.4105 -86.7772 145° Southeast   397  knots  457   MPH 27,000  Level fasource.gif FlightAware ADS-B (KTVC)

Just so none of you think I'm entirely impressed with my plane's speed, here's my engine builder, flight instructor, and overall mentor, John Cook's Lancair.  I have seen numerous flights by him well in excess of 400 knots, and he files 345 knots in the winter, 335 knots in the summer (and gets it).  This was his flight home from my last training session in December.  That's why I'm still in primer.  Trying to find some more speed mods before going to final paint. 

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N213JC/history/20161214/1915Z/KIMT/GE99/tracklog

Tom

• Like 3

On 4/9/2017 at 9:39 PM, 1964-M20E said:

yes they do but you are descending. ;)

Kind Sir, in my defense, I'd like to say that I was in fact in straight & level, cruise flight with the altitude-hold auto-pilot (KFC-150) engaged.  To backup my claim, if you'll notice in the bottom left corner of the picture, you will see the illuminated ALT annunciation indicating that the altitude-hold function is in fact engaged. 

The -146 FPM in the top left corner, which I surmise is what caused you to come to your conclusion, is actually a function of my top-of-descent (TOD) settings, i.e. when the negative FPM number hits that which I have set for my TOD, then the GTN-750 will alert me to the fact that it's time to begin my descent.  I usually use either 300 or 500 FPM for my cruise descent planning.

Though 238 knots GS is surely nice and it's my personal best to date in the Mooney, there are other airplanes, to include Mooneys, that will go faster.  However, those faster airplanes are usually burning substantially more fuel.  My picture was taken while cruising at FL210 somewhere between Jackson Hole, WY and Valentine, NE.  My power at the time would have been set at 28" MP, 2500 RPM, 13 GPH at 50 degrees ROP TIT and per my notes, 192 KTAS is what the GTN-750 computed that day for those conditions...so that's only a 46-knot tailwind.  My imagination runs wild when I consider the results of easily attainable stronger tailwinds.

So, I'm with Teg916 in that I am still amazed every day at just how capable our Mooney aircraft really are.  I consider myself very fortunate to actually own one.

Very respectfully,

A happy Mooney driver

Edited by Jsavage3
Spelling
  • Like 2

Feel a little bad the OP got railroaded by many with faster iron (or aluminum and/or carbon fiber).  He made a great point about the attributes of our Mooney's and this really establishes the "cult" us Mooney pilots belong to.  Every post in this topic has merit as to the value of Mooney ownership compared with the belly button airplanes everyone else has (C's, P's, and B's).   All are impressive in relationship to their speed and efficiency.  What he probably didn't realize is the addiction he has immersed himself in!!!!!  Enjoy your "F" and be proud of your ownership.  That's the exact model that started my "addiction ".   

Tom

• Like 4

Modern day sailors looking for just the right winds.:)

If Columbus had a 100kt tail wind...

I enjoy the tech discussion that makes this all come together.

My dad's 70’s F150 pick-up got the same 14 mpg that Tom's turbine gets, on regular gas, at a much more pedestrian speed.

Go sailors!

Best regards,

-a-

39 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Modern day sailors looking for just the right winds.:)

If Columbus had a 100kt tail wind...

I enjoy the tech discussion that makes this all come together.

My dad's 70’s F150 pick-up got the same 14 mpg that Tom's turbine gets, on regular gas, at a much more pedestrian speed.

Go sailors!

Best regards,

-a-

Never quite looked at it from this perspective interesting.  :huh:

But a 100kt tailwind on the ocean surface would make for some serious wave action and turbulence and docking or anchoring his ship would be a might bit tricky.:D

• Like 1