Two Aviators Lost on Friday

On Friday two pilots, one a operator at GreenCastle Airport (located just south of Cedar Rapids, IA and just North West of Iowa City) were killed doing an activity they love.  Shortly after takeoff in a Cherokee 180 (1965) that I had flown as a member of the club (after getting my pilots license)  crashed and the plane burned.  Recognized both of them although I have not been active at Greencastle for many years (since buying my M20E).  

This hits very close to home literally and figuratively as I had flown the plane from that strip with family and friends.  THAT plane is what let me know "I was a low wing guy".  One of the pilots was a father of two also leaving behind a wife.  

Both were loved.

Two early to have any information on causation.  The "Not knowing" who flew the plane and who did maintenance when, as a flying club member, was one of the principal reasons for my entering ownership.

This loss will have significant ramifications for the future of the flying club and the airport.  I wish I had a happy engine out story to relate today.  Instead I have a heavy heart and thoughts for the family and friends of the two men that were a lot like me.  They loved aviation.

They will be missed around the member dinners with live music that filled the hanger with joy along with laughter.  Only tears and pain this beautiful Sunday at IA24.

Fly Safe everyone and hug those you love and tell them "I love you".

Edited by MyNameIsNobody
  • Like 8