KLRDMD

Below are this weekend's videos with my Fly360 camera mounted on the glare shield. Viewing is best on an iPad running the Youtube app. Hold it in front of you and move up and down, etc. so you have the same views I had in the cockpit. I departed KAVQ (Tucson) and landed at MMSF (San Felipe, MX). Then flew to a Robertson's Ranch, private airstrip on the west coast of the Baja that we've named MRBR. Then back to KTUS (Tucson International) to clear customs. I forgot to turn the camera on before departing MRBR and didn't film the final leg from KTUS-KAVQ. Next is to fabricate an external mount to get a cleared picture not going through the Plexiglass.

Departing KAVQ 

Landing San Felipe:

Landing Robertson's Ranch:

Landing Tucson:

• Like 2

Experiment...

Done this way, it opens in YouTube directly...

https://youtu.be/8aQ03Bj7ooM

Done this way the link looks prettier, but loses the 360° effect...

These videos got great reviews by the last teenager in my house...

I'll send a message to Craig.  Something about The video link gets dropped when the opening scene gets used as the link.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

I'm curious to hear about the processes involved in clearing customs both in the US and Mexico. Fees, taxes, etc. I've wanted to fly to Mexico but I've heard about the inefficiencies with the Mexican government of "Pay this guy, now you must go pay that guy, etc." It's kind of turned me off from actually doing it. If I ever decide to do it I'll join the Baja Bushpilots.

I'm curious to hear about the processes involved in clearing customs both in the US and Mexico. Fees, taxes, etc. I've wanted to fly to Mexico but I've heard about the inefficiencies with the Mexican government of "Pay this guy, now you must go pay that guy, etc." It's kind of turned me off from actually doing it. If I ever decide to do it I'll join the Baja Bushpilots.

Yes, there is what seems like endless paperwork going to Mexico. But you're on Mexican time when south of the border. You have to leave living in the fast lane behind you and accept it as part of the adventure. Otherwise you won't have a good time.
BajaBush has everything you need to know and much more. I am a longtime member. AOPA has all the essentials too.
I also do Mexico checkouts too in San Diego for anyone wanting a helping hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

It is quite easy. Clearing Mexican Customs last Friday in San Felipe, I was through the entire process in literally 5 minutes. Now, that was fast, it usually takes 15-45 minutes but it is a pretty simple process. You'll have to file eApis and passengers pay a Mexican Visa that's about $30 at the current exchange rate. The pilot doesn't pay the Visa. The landing fee is about $5. The multi-entry permit (good for one calendar year) is about $80US but bring pesos. In January they wanted about 1,400 pesos or $140US. The exchange rate is about 17:1 right now so paying in pesos is very beneficial. The exchange rate in December was 20:1. They want you to clear Customs again on the way out, that's about $5 per passenger but takes an hour by the time you descend, land, do the paperwork and get in the air again. It isn't legally required that you clear Customs on the way out, but they really want you to.

Volunteer to fly with the Flying Samaritans and we'll prepare the eApis for you (all you have to do it upload the files we E-Mail you) and walk you through everything and you'll be on the ground clearing Mexican Customs with other Flying Samaritans that will walk you through everything.

Back in the US, clearing at KTUS has never taken more than 5 minutes. On this weekend's trip, one of the guys that went with us is a CBP agent at KTUS ;)

http://www.flyingsamaritansaz.org/Tucson/index.html

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NotarPilot said:

Me too. John, since you're at Long Beach too maybe we could coordinate to do that together sometime.

I'll join you guys. I've got the bug to start flying down there again. It would be good to get a refresher on the process.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JohnB said:

Really Paul? I may have to take you up on that one of these days!

7 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

Me too. John, since you're at Long Beach too maybe we could coordinate to do that together sometime.

7 hours ago, kmyfm20s said:

I'll join you guys. I've got the bug to start flying down there again. It would be good to get a refresher on the process.

7 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

All the better. I'd like to do a flight to Ensenada. I believe that's a POE if I'm not mistaking.

Be happy to give you all a group overview of the procedures and rules etc. I don't recommend using either Ensenada or Tijuana if avoidable because they have some issues which make them far less friendly. Depending on where you are heading, Ensenada may be merited, but that is usually only true for the volunteer aid groups like Ken referred too above. (I have one friend that uses Ensenada for surfing trips that aren't far away and he is the only one I know that uses it). For us tourist, San Felipe (45min) or Loreto (3hrs) is much more preferable. All 3 of you have the range to make Loreto which is usually more efficient and cheaper than using San Felipe; if for example you want to go pet the whales at Laguna San Ignacio or if you want to head further south to the cape. But some folks prefer to clear at San Felipe and follow the coastline down pretty low and it does work out well if headed for Mulege. 

With some clients I go over all the paper work and procedures. This includes flight planning in both directions with emphasis on fuel planning with contingencies for fuel availability issues and what challenges you can expect getting required border crossing US squawk codes while south of the border depending on your last point of departure and much much more. Also with some clients, which have been those that want to take their family down with out surprises, we'll made a day trip to San Felipe to get their Multi-Entry out of the way and go through all the procedures live in both directions. That has included sampling the fish tacos too. So a day trip is an option too. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Be happy to give you all a group overview of the procedures and rules etc. Also with some clients, which have been those that want to take their family down with out surprises, we'll made a day trip to San Felipe to get their Multi-Entry out of the way and go through all the procedures live in both directions. That has included sampling the fish tacos too. So a day trip is an option too. 

That's awesome Paul I'm in!  And a group Mexico trip if we can arrange it sounds like a blast!! 

• Like 3