Need recommendation for prop balancing in FL

XXX

Palm Beach Propeller at Lantana does it while you wait. I called them last week to put me on their schedule and unfortunately they just sent their equipment out to be re-calibrated and won't be doing any until at least the middle of May. I believe they charge around $275.

My IA, Karl Stepka based at FA40, did mine. Yes, the difference was very noticeable. The pre-balancing measurement was .4 ips. Post balancing it was fluctuating between .01 to .02 ips. I wished that I had done it years earlier. PM me if interested for contact info.

I just got ripped off fargo jet center. $430 for prop balance Friday and I just read the invoice. "Prop measured .07, no additional weight added". I used to balance the prop on my RV in about an hour; no problem getting .02 or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, BKlott said:

My IA, Karl Stepka based at FA40, did mine. Yes, the difference was very noticeable. The pre-balancing measurement was .4 ips. Post balancing it was fluctuating between .01 to .02 ips. I wished that I had done it years earlier. PM me if interested for contact info.

Can you please post the contact info?

7 hours ago, Chupacabra said:

I ended up at Aircraft Engineering (Bill Turley) in Bartow. Definitely feel a difference and glad I had it done. Got me to .02 IPS. For $250 they dressed and balanced the prop and all new SS screws in spinner.

Was this done while you waited, or did you drop the plane off?

4 hours ago, kpaul said:

Was this done while you waited, or did you drop the plane off?

Kevin, while I waited. Actually the $250 price is if you do the run-up for them, so I was actually involved. Regular price is $300 with no owner help.

Just now, Chupacabra said:

Kevin, while I waited. Actually the $250 price is if you do the run-up for them, so I was actually involved. Regular price is $300 with no owner help.

Awesome thanks for the info.  I will need to take a flight down there when I get back home.

3 minutes ago, fantom said:

Bill Turley at Aircraft Engineering, in Bartow, knows GA, is quite experienced, and is honest.

Not always easy to find down here.

Years ago I had three IA's scratching their heads over a problem I was experiencing with a C182. All were stumped. A friend in St. Louis recommended Bill. One phone call and a description of the issue and Bill diagnosed the problem within 5 minutes. 

Bill is also very entertaining. That alone is worth the price of admission.

• 2 years later...

Many vibration problems aren't cause by prop imbalance. Before I set up the balancer, I do survey of the engine compartment. Half the time I find worn engine mounts, or hoses and ducts clamped improperly. Those should be fixed before attempting to balance the prop.

I also find worn camshafts or cylinder compression problems, which obviously can't be balanced out.

And, prop blades that are out of spec due to aggressive filing. 

• Like 1