XXX

Need recommendation for prop balancing in FL

Recommended Posts

Hello, Can anyone recommend somewhere good to get a dynamic prop balance?

Also, for those who've had it done, was it noticeable?  What made you decide to do it?

Thnaks in advance for your posts,

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*Members that donate $10 or more do not see advertisements*

Thanks Andrew, but Holland is a little far for me even in the Mooney. Looking forward to feeling the difference though. How much did it cost you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Palm Beach Propeller at Lantana does it while you wait. I called them last week to put me on their schedule and unfortunately they just sent their equipment out to be re-calibrated and won't be doing any until at least the middle of May. I believe they charge around $275.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks flyboy, 

I'd like to get it done asap. I feel a vibration in the pedals that I don't recall being there other times. I'll check with some of my A&P friends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My IA, Karl Stepka based at FA40, did mine. Yes, the difference was very noticeable. The pre-balancing measurement was .4 ips. Post balancing it was fluctuating between .01 to .02 ips. I wished that I had done it years earlier. PM me if interested for contact info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got ripped off fargo jet center. $430 for prop balance Friday and I just read the invoice. "Prop measured .07, no additional weight added". I used to balance the prop on my RV in about an hour; no problem getting .02 or less.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BKlott said:

My IA, Karl Stepka based at FA40, did mine. Yes, the difference was very noticeable. The pre-balancing measurement was .4 ips. Post balancing it was fluctuating between .01 to .02 ips. I wished that I had done it years earlier. PM me if interested for contact info.

 

Can you please post the contact info?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ended up at Aircraft Engineering (Bill Turley) in Bartow. Definitely feel a difference and glad I had it done. Got me to .02 IPS. For $250 they dressed and balanced the prop and all new SS screws in spinner.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chupacabra said:

I ended up at Aircraft Engineering (Bill Turley) in Bartow. Definitely feel a difference and glad I had it done. Got me to .02 IPS. For $250 they dressed and balanced the prop and all new SS screws in spinner.

 

Was this done while you waited, or did you drop the plane off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kpaul said:

Was this done while you waited, or did you drop the plane off?

Kevin, while I waited. Actually the $250 price is if you do the run-up for them, so I was actually involved. Regular price is $300 with no owner help.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chupacabra said:

Kevin, while I waited. Actually the $250 price is if you do the run-up for them, so I was actually involved. Regular price is $300 with no owner help.

 

Awesome thanks for the info.  I will need to take a flight down there when I get back home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bill Turley at Aircraft Engineering, in Bartow, knows GA, is quite experienced, and is honest.

Not always easy to find down here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, fantom said:

Bill Turley at Aircraft Engineering, in Bartow, knows GA, is quite experienced, and is honest.

Not always easy to find down here.

 

Years ago I had three IA's scratching their heads over a problem I was experiencing with a C182. All were stumped. A friend in St. Louis recommended Bill. One phone call and a description of the issue and Bill diagnosed the problem within 5 minutes. 

Bill is also very entertaining. That alone is worth the price of admission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can somebody send me the contact data of Karl Stepka? I ned my prop balanced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many vibration problems aren't cause by prop imbalance. Before I set up the balancer, I do survey of the engine compartment. Half the time I find worn engine mounts, or hoses and ducts clamped improperly. Those should be fixed before attempting to balance the prop.

I also find worn camshafts or cylinder compression problems, which obviously can't be balanced out.

And, prop blades that are out of spec due to aggressive filing. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.