Staying busy

So the weather has been really bad this week so no flying. Figured it would be a good time to turn my lawn tractor into a tug and built a tow bar. Then I wake up to snow this morning.... what the heck, hope everyone at Sun and Fun know just how good they have it:)

e3f15affbc9f64224d07cecddb3c8ac2.jpg4120e7fae1406a816db8f05e9b2a2128.jpg26919668c8cb07050522872065744385.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hey Charles yeah weather here sucks too. You might want to put a retainer on the end of the rod so it won't pop out

On the end that goes into the landing gear is threaded and I have a cap that screws on to it securing it to the plane. And there is a pin on the tractor end to secure the tow bar to the tractor. It's just hard to see in the pictures.

• Like 1

Consider building a forward mounted device for pushing the plane into the hangar.  This will allow you to drive the tractor while looking at the plane and wing tips the best. (Not perfect, just best)

We get Crappy weather in NJ, just we don't get any snow with that...  :)

Nice IH tractor.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

Consider building a forward mounted device for pushing the plane into the hangar.  This will allow you to drive the tractor while looking at the plane and wing tips the best. (Not perfect, just best)
We get Crappy weather in NJ, just we don't get any snow with that...  
Nice IH tractor.
Best regards,
-a-

I thought about that as well. I built a push bar that I'm finishing up today. I'll post pictures later. There is a slight up slope going into my hanger and will need it:)

• Like 1

Does it have an adaptor to fit on a Mooney? This one at Pilot Shop is designed for a Mooney. It is a little more.

http://m.pilotshop.com/pages/fb/towbars_0mooney/redlinesidewinder.php

I've had both the Robotow and the Redline Sidewinder - definitely worth the difference to get the Sidewinder for many reasons. It is geared perfectly for towing the Mooney in and out of the hangar and it folds up so you can take it with you if you want (22 lbs if I remember correctly). Very well engineered and well built - no comparison. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

I've had both the Robotow and the Redline Sidewinder - definitely worth the difference to get the Sidewinder for many reasons. It is geared perfectly for towing the Mooney in and out of the hangar and it folds up so you can take it with you if you want (22 lbs if I remember correctly). Very well engineered and well built - no comparison. 

I have the sidewinder also.  It's been less than a year and I only I use it when I travel to airports that I'll have to move things around by myself, but it seems to work well.

4 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

I don't know, looking at that bad boy tug I was thinking of painting the plane to match it...:)

Whatever works for you, but you need a matched set!

• Like 1

On 4/10/2017 at 3:31 PM, xcrmckenna said:

Now time to take everything up to the plane to check to see if it works.

49c754628b87399dc96abcbdf766e621.jpg

If you don't like how it handles..I've got closing style that I used to use on my Bravo...I used a closing pintal "ag" hitch bolted to front of a lawn tractor like yours...I can deliver in person in aug if your system doesn't work out