M20R IO-550G EGTs

Hugo

First flight in Mooney M20R, relocated aircraft from delivered aircraft to home airport.  Leveled at 2500 MSL, set throttle at 22" MP, noticed EGT was 1540.  This is higher than I have seen a full rich setting.  This aircraft originated in Denver area and I am wondering if I should reset the base mixture setting for sea level operation?  Or.. is this normal for a IO-550G I am new to this engine.  I have a ton of time behind other IO-550s but no G time.

First flight in Mooney M20R, relocated aircraft from delivered aircraft to home airport.  Leveled at 2500 MSL, set throttle at 22" MP, noticed EGT was 1540.  This is higher than I have seen a full rich setting.  This aircraft originated in Denver area and I am wondering if I should reset the base mixture setting for sea level operation?  Or.. is this normal for a IO-550G I am new to this engine.  I have a ton of time behind other IO-550s but no G time.

Seems high Hugo. My brother has the TSIO-550G and his EGTS in the 1300's at full power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugo,

You know the absolute EGTs are very much related to their location in the exhaust..?

Fortunately, most of the Os got their TCs installed at the factory in a pretty uniform way.

Basically you can't tell very much from the absolute EGT values, but your question still needs to be answered.

At every annual your mechanic will be testing a few things related to the engine's set-up. Timing and fuel flow should be checked to see if they match the book numbers, TC and/or STC...

Some IO550(g)s have had their max rpm Setting raised to 2700rpm.  The FF needs to be adjusted to match.

You didn't mention the other key pieces of information that go with your question...

MP:

RPM:

FF:

The most important O specific piece of information to be aware of...  what TC are you using for this conversation.  If you are using the ship's EGT gauge, know where that seventh TC is mounted....  it is in the confluence of three exhaust streams on one side of the engine.  It really delivers a hotter EGT reading than the other single cylinder EGTs...!  :)

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

In my Eagle the factory Moritz EGT runs as much as 100 degrees higher than my Insight G2. As others have said it is where the probe sits and perhaps the accuracy of the Moritz. If you run lean of peak you will be able to reduce EGT's much more operating the engine at 60 percent power. Of course that means you need an engine monitor. 

On 4/7/2017 at 9:39 AM, StevenL757 said:

Hugo, normal takeoff EGTs should be around 1350 +/-.  Echoing M20S, do you have an engine monitor installed, or just factory engine instruments?

Entirely related to EGT placement.  Consistency is what you need to see is all.  Without knowing the baseline it is tough to know if there is a issue or not but the temp itself is fairly irrelevant.