Avidyne IFD and Stratus

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 10:50 AM, Garryowen said:

Connect the IFD to the stratus.  Connect your iPad/s to the stratus. Stratus acts as a wifi router for sending and receiving. 

does this really work?  do you see weather and traffic on the 540 from the stratus?

1 hour ago, tony said:

does this really work?  do you see weather and traffic on the 540 from the stratus?

1 hour ago, peevee said:

No

Can only see the stratus traffic and weather info on your iPad. No stratus ADSB info on the IFD. The stratus acts as the middleman (router) allowing you to connect to both at the same time. You can edit your flight plan in either location, fore flight or IFD, and it will show up. I use it to "rubber band" routes on the iPad right up against airspace boundaries and it helps keep me clear when I'm vfr.

I haven't seen the skytrax in action yet but it sounds like a cleaner set up. I think I would miss the AHRS feature of the stratus as my 'everything's gone to heck' back up though. Stratus compatibility would be a nice software update for the IFD.

8 hours ago, Garryowen said:

. I use it to "rubber band" routes on the iPad right up against airspace boundaries and it helps keep me clear when I'm vfr.

That feature will be useful for me this summer in the south east.  I just don't understand why avidyne wouldn't let the stratus be the source to display weather or traffic too.  Its just advisory info. 

Do you need to install 10.2 for this feature to work?  I cant find a shop around here who has done the update.  I don't want to be the test pilot for them. 

I assume a coding challenge has something to do with being able to view the advisory data. My full time ride (S-76 helicopter) has the full garmin setup to include gmx20 with xm connected to a universal FMS, onboard WX radar, TCAS, etc and everything displays on the garmin screens. No interaction with the iPad yet though.

The Agusta 109 I fly part time has the IFD540. It had the G530 prior to that. Ver 10.2.0.0 is current per my avionics tech but he said it only came out a couple of weeks ago. Connectivity with the iPad was working for me before that.  He said the technical term is setting up an access point. The aircraft is on its way to FL right now for the spring/summer. I'll see if my partner can't take some pictures of the setup screen. I was incorrect when I was calling the stratus a router vice an "access point." He sent me this from the manual:

The WiFi system can be configured to work in "Local" mode

where the IFD acts as a "server" or access point, or, "Remote"

mode where the IFD acts as a "client" and can attach to a

separate remote access point which allows the IFD to join other

existing WiFi networks (e.g. connect to an existing Stratus-

ForeFlight network). 

IMG_1797.JPG.addf498a53e75224b98bd99624828201.JPG

My hope/expectations for IFD440 /iPad ForeFlight: bidirectional communication of flight plans with ForeFlight/ via Stratus2S. Weather and traffic on ForeFlight via Stratus2S, (as before, when I had the 430.)  

I've tried configuring the IFD440 as described in the Installation Manual. I even deleted the Local info on the config screen (I tried about every combo known to man.). I still have traffic and weather on the iPad and ForeFlight via Stratus2, but still no luck on flight plan communications, bidirectionally, or otherwise with the IFD440.

What am I doing wrong??

4 hours ago, tony said:

I just don't understand why avidyne wouldn't let the stratus be the source to display weather or traffic too.  Its just advisory info. 

This is the long history of approved vs not-approved equipment.

1) a simple program error can keep an entire system from working properly.

2) approved equipment goes through More challenging testing protocols to Best eliminate program errors.

3) The importance of this situation reveals itself the most in IMC near the ground.

4) nobody wants their primary nav equipment to be susceptible to a failure.

5) for a company like Avidyne to allow data to be displayed from an unknown or unexpected source, they would have to set up something like a firewall.

6) In the end, making something work with an approved primary nav device takes almost as much effort/cost/time to get approval of the device.

7) some advanced devices are fully capable of handling foreign data without it allowing a crash if the data stream is bad...

8) Consumer electronics with a huge budget do this better than specialty electronics that sell a million devices...?

Part 23 re-write is coming.  There should be some help with that...

PP thoughts only...

Best regrads,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

• 3 years later...

Just looking to see if there’s any update on IFD440 displaying weather & traffic from Stratus2. After all, Stratus2 already facilitates bidirectional communications with ForeFlight on the iPad and the IFD440 for flight plan transfers. (I presume by now everyone has gotten at least this to work.)

I wonder if Avidyne will develop a competing autopilot for the IFD series that would work with Aspen, and not break the bank!!

47 minutes ago, PeytonM said:

Just looking to see if there’s any update on IFD440 displaying weather & traffic from Stratus2. After all, Stratus2 already facilitates bidirectional communications with ForeFlight on the iPad and the IFD440 for flight plan transfers. (I presume by now everyone has gotten at least this to work.)

I wonder if Avidyne will develop a competing autopilot for the IFD series that would work with Aspen, and not break the bank!!

This is an often asked question in the Avidyne forum, probably in Garmin forums as well. They keep explaining that the FAA will never allow a certified panel unit (IFD) to display traffic and weather from a non-certified portable (Stratus 2).. 

• Like 1