STEC 30

JoshMan

To those with an STEC 30.  I am debating whether to install the 30 with gpss or the 55.  I like the price of the 30 better than the 55, but wondering just how inferior it really is.  I know it wont fly a coupled approach but will it atleast get you to the localizer hands off? How does altitude work with the 30? Do you have to completely disengage the system to descend or climb? If so, I feel like this would be a pain when shooting an approach. Thanks in advance!

Josh

I've got an STEC 30 with GPSS (mind you, I am a 182 driver right now) and it's worked well for me.  Yes- you have to disengage the altitude hold to change your altitude, but that's just a push of a button on the yolk.  When I'm at my new altitude, its a push of the same button to hold it.  In between I am managing my decent via power changes while the 30 keeps me on the magenta line.   I'm not ever going to say that its as good as or advanced as the 55, but if you've not been accustomed to the features of the 55 and don't want to spend the extra $$, I don't know that you would miss not having a 55 if you have  a 30. I've seen Mooney drivers say they wouldn't want anything less than a 30 if flying in IMC

My STEC 30 works great and toggling the altitude hold on and off while leaving gpss engaged is easy. Also, although I haven't finished my IR yet, I have gotten vectored through Bravos with rapid altitude and heading changes and found it to be a breeze while flying by turning the heading bug and toggling the alt hold - incredible decrease in workload.  BTW if you have an Aspen PFD, you don't need the separate gpss install - it handles it.  If you were thinking of putting one in, this might be a good time.  

I'm sure the 55 is awesome, but I was doing a huge panel upgrade at the same time and was daunted by the added cost.  Given all the rapid advances in certified avionics, I kinda hope a low cost, full featured A/P comes on the market that can use the existing STEC servos.  Seems like there would be a strong market for it.  

I had a 30 on my C model and had a 55 on a 182 that I once owned.  The 55 absolutely nails a GPS enroute course and approach, holds, missed approaches, etc.  It did not do well with an ILS - tended to wander across the localizer even at very small intercept angles.   The 30 that I had on the C model did not come with GPSS, so the performance enroute and on approaches was not all that great.   I ended up using the heading bug on approaches (along with altitude hold) and that worked well.  I have a feeling that the 30 would really benefit from GPSS. 

I had an stec 30 and upgraded to an 55x. The 30 was great, but the 55x is amazing. You can fly coupled approaches, dial in the altitude and the VS, program alerts etc. My 55x intercepts the localizer well (not perfect but well enough) and flys the GS nicely.

For GPSS I use my Aspen, here again it does a great job intercepting and tracking.

Oscar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 30 without GPSS and an upgrade to the 55 with a Aspen PFD is on my Christmas list. I use the heading bug to fly in cruise.  Just started my IR but it seems to do OK with keeping the horizontal needle centered while I manage power for descent. Also a yaw dampener would be nice. 

I have an S-Tec 30 in my 310hp Eagle. It is perfectly adequate and simple to operate and maintain. However it does not do anything near to the 55X. To intercept it must be within 10 degrees of the final approach course and you can't put it in heading mode and have it intercept the final approach course. You can't add vertical speed capture etc. You already know it will not follow the GS. GPSS is included in the 55X and it is an option in the 30. When you look at the hardware cost it is not that much more expensive to add the 55x. I do not know if there is a substantial difference in installation costs although I suspect there is. The resale value will definitely be higher with the 55X. I am considering upgrading to the 55x not because of its capabilities but because of the fact that it is also the turn coordinator. This makes it difficult for a passenger to access and use it in the event of an emergency. The 55x is in the radio stack and easy to use for a passenger. Just something to consider as we age. 

Would it be better for everyone considering STEC30s or even upgrading them to higher models like the 55x to wait for the TruTraks to  get STC'd for the Mooneys instead?  

Sadly there's no direct upgrade path for the STEC30- my understanding is that the higher models use different servos?

One that happens it seems STEC will also have to offer a cost-competitive product to stay in the business..

3 hours ago, DXB said:

Would it be better for everyone considering STEC30s or even upgrading them to higher models like the 55x to wait for the TruTraks to  get STC'd for the Mooneys instead?  

Sadly there's no direct upgrade path for the STEC30- my understanding is that the higher models use different servos?

One that happens it seems STEC will also have to offer a cost-competitive product to stay in the business..

No the servo's are the same and the system when designed was intended to be easily upgraded. The problem is that over time the mfg. has forgotten that part and the cost to upgrade is often as much or even more than a brand new 55x system. One of the issues with the experimental autopilots is that they only handle GPS and not ILS/VOR Nav systems. I have read that is one of the issues that TruTrac is addressing but it means that the Vizion will not be the experimental version and probably will be much more expensive.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bravoman said:

You didn't ask about it, but I would also look at the S tec 60-2. I have a lot of experience with it and it is a wonderful 2 axis autopilot. Much less expensive than the 55.

For whatever reason, the STec 60-2 is more expensive than the 55X.  Go figure.

I do love the coupled approaches now.  Still learning everything in the 60-2 as my new plane has it versus the 30 I had in my Mooney.

Cheers,

Brian

7 hours ago, flight2000 said:

For whatever reason, the STec 60-2 is more expensive than the 55X.  Go figure.

I do love the coupled approaches now.  Still learning everything in the 60-2 as my new plane has it versus the 30 I had in my Mooney.

Cheers,

Brian

If you are correct on the relative price between the two auto pilots, that must've been a recent change. I am positive that the 55x was significantly more expensive than the 60-2. 

Both websites I looked at (Pacific Coast Avionics and Sarasota Avionics) had the 60-2 at $1K more (or $1.5K more in PCA's case): $15.5K for the 55X and $16.5K for the 60-2.  If you need automatic electric trim added to either, that's another $4.5K and that does not include the labor to install. 

I learned my lesson, make sure the plane you want has the autopilot and avionics you want already installed.... :ph34r: 

Cheers,

Brian

I've owned my 60-2 since 1998. At that time the 55 was available and I asked why I would want a 60-2 over a 55 and was told the 60-2 was the "better" autopilot. I have heard this a couple of more times over the years when I go in for an upgrade and ask the avionics shop. I always thought it was the form factor that drove the cost difference (separate computer boxes) but after flying or flying in a few planes with the 55 or 55X, I think my 60 is a bit smoother, especially on approaches. Not sure if the computers make the difference.

As for the price difference, the 60-2 is still more expensive than the 55X. I won't tell you what I paid in 1998 for the 60-2 with auto electric trim. It will make you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I have a 30 in my F.  GPSS, heading bug and altitude hold.  It is a great system to me.  Also note, this is the only autopilot equipped plane that I have flown.  There are some limitations. You must be within 10* to be able to follow an Loc or Vor.  This system will not fly the glideslope for you.   I am mainly a VFR pilot, and it works great for me.

I have a 430W and a KX155 to navigate with.

Ron

4 hours ago, flight2000 said:

I learned my lesson, make sure the plane you want has the autopilot and avionics you want already installed.... :ph34r: 

Truth!  Even though I'm in the middle of a pretty significant avionics upgrade... it was all optional. And having the right autopilot to start, along with certain trade-able items, keeps the upgrade somewhat reasonable.

• Like 3

I have the 60-2 in my Saratoga and the KFC 150 in the Mooney. Never had a problem with either and both are rock solid on approaches etc. One nice thing I've always liked about the Stec is that it is rate based and not dependent on a vacuum system. Both were installed in the 90s and the lack of any hiccups, at least for me, is a testament to how well they are designed and made. It is also amazing that they can be inegrated with technology that didn't exist when they were conceived such as gps and gpss.  I am going to look at stecs site for their prices since now I am wondering whether I am confusing the 55 with one of their other models.

I have the System 30 in my plane with altitude hold and no GPSS and no intention of adding it.  Why? If I have a course change above about 10 degrees I just dial it into the heading bug and then switch to heading mode for the turn and then back to track mode. A little more work but it gives you something to do on a long flight by yourself.  The same for approaches use the heading bug to get close and the switch to track mode I'm usually being vectored at this point anyway.

• Like 1

Just now, 1964-M20E said:

I have the System 30 in my plane with altitude hold and no GPSS and no intention of adding it.  Why? If I have a course change above about 10 degrees I just dial it into the heading bug and then switch to heading mode for the turn and then back to track mode. A little more work but it gives you something to do on a long flight by yourself.  The same for approaches use the heading bug to get close and the switch to track mode I'm usually being vectored at this point anyway.

As they say in Avionicsland, once you go GPSS, you'll never go back. :lol:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, 1964-M20E said:

If it had it I wouldn't complain but I'll spend money on something else for now.  Maybe Ill take one of you gals out to dinner. :ph34r::o:blink: 

Moving from an all VOR/ILS/NDB equipped plane to one with a WAAS GPS, Aspens and GPSS, I will say GPSS is my favorite feature. Right ahead of the auto slewing the Aspen HSI does. It is amazing what this new technology can do.

• Like 1

I have the Stec 30 with GPSS in my M20E.  It's been perfect.  Altitude hold is merely a push of the yoke switch.  I think you have to ask yourself how many IMC holds and approaches you'll be making to justify a 55.  

Edited by Whiskey Charlie
  • Like 1