Zero fuel weight limitation

In considering a Mooney Ovation, I've been running some weight and balance calcs based on my intended use. I've downloaded a weight and balance app that has an ovation template and that app is giving max zero fuel weight of 2850 and max gross of 3360. I've also downloaded an actual Ovation POH that I found on line. The actual POH does not make reference to a max zero fuel weight. So I'm trying to understand what reality is. With an empty weight of 2366 and am zero fuel weight of 2850, I can only put 484 of people and bags. Is this max zero fuel rate typical for an Ovation - what Ovation owners experience?  Thanks!

I don't have an Ovation, but that sounds more like a max 'full fuel' payload weight.  The difference in those two weights would be equal to about 85 gallons of fuel.  I would always trust a POH over some app I downloaded.

The Ovation I believe has a max landing weight below max gross, which means in excess of that weight, you have to be carrying fuel to he burned off... it's not that far below max gross if I recall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Ovation I believe has a max landing weight below max gross, which means in excess of that weight, you have to be carrying fuel to he burned off... it's not that far below max gross if I recall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does, but it is not a FAA limitation. It's 3200lbs, and if you must land at or above that weight there is a procedure to follow in the POH, which is basically to land smoothly and normally. If you have a "hard landing" which "hard" is not defined anywhere include void in the maintenance manual, there is a prescribed procedure to follow.
  • Like 2

Dave,

Thanks for that reference.

The zero fuel weight does not apply to Mooneys directly.

Its intention is to keep from bending an airplane.  Where the fuel weight is accounted for differently than the passenger weight and baggage weight.

In the Mooney, fuel, baggage and passengers can be replaced or swapped out as needed.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

On big airplanes, it matters where the weight is carried because of bending moments where the spar carries through the fuselage.  Zero fuel weight is the limit that can be carried in the fuselage.  Fuel weight is carried in the wings and lifted directly by the wing, not the spar carry through.

600 pounds of avgas isn't really a big deal.  40,000 to 100,000 pounds of Jet-A is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SethKeefer said:

I downloaded that same app.  Whoever made the M20R template got most everything right except for the ZFW....because there is no ZFW limitation.  I ended up making my own template.

The app is also off a bit on the gross weight.  It's 3368 to be exact, not 3360.

The ForeFlight W&B page calculates a "zero fuel weight" which is what the plane will weigh with current passengers and baggage after you run out of fuel.  I suppose you can use that weight to calculate best glide...

Modifications:  (1) A POH restriction in FIKI planes changes the aft CG limits compared to Ovations without TKS.  (2) The TKS fluid is included in empty weight in POH but one can edit the page to calculate W&B for partial TKS. (3) Normal max fuel is 89 but in fact the tanks hold up to 100.  

image.thumb.png.ab50d209b8440a18fc449c9e615b713d.png

• Like 1