Engine is back from overhaul (pictures)

Penn does some nice work. Love to hear how the break-in and ops afterwards work out. A friend of mine had a Penn Yan overhaul done on his J. Said it was so much smoother over the 2100 hours he got on the factory new.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

1 hour ago, DXB said:

Pretty.  Do you mind if I ask how fast their turnaround was?  They are the closest shop to me that I'd be enthusiastic about using.

5 weeks, Shipping to and from is included. 3 year warranty parts and labor too.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Mooney_Mike said:

Funny you would say that......

MM:

Is it bad form to ask how much? If so, apologies! If not, how much (approx) was the engine, and how much for install (approx).

Not idle curiosity on my part- I should close Monday on N22VA and the engine has 1550hours (TBO 2000) :)

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Stetson20 said:

MM:

Is it bad form to ask how much? If so, apologies! If not, how much (approx) was the engine, and how much for install (approx).

Not idle curiosity on my part- I should close Monday on N22VA and the engine has 1550hours (TBO 2000) :)

Thanks!

Well, I would recommend going to the Penn Yan website and getting a quote. It is an instant online quote once you click the boxes and specify which engine you have.

If you want it done right expect to pay for it.

• Like 2

Here is what the quote tool returned for a io360A1A

The Penn Yan Aero overhaul process is the result of over 70 years of experience overhauling thousands of Lycoming and thousands of Continental engines installed in all kinds of airframes flying in all kinds of environments around the world.

The Penn Yan Aero proprietary overhaul process is FAA Approved and incorporates dozens of unique techniques that result in a smoother-running, longer-lasting engine that helps make flying safer and lowers operational costs. Fleet Operators and FBOs repeatedly specify Penn Yan Aero overhauls because they provide reliable economy.

Penn Yan Aero Overhauled IO-360-A1A Includes

• Friendly, Highly Experienced and Knowledgable Staff Devoted to Helping You Find the Best Answers to Your Engine Needs
  • Round-Trip Shipping, Including Logistics, within the Contiguous United States
  • Penn Yan Aero’s Highly Developed, FAA Approved, Proprietary Overhaul Process that Results in Reliable, Smooth-Running, Long-Lasting Performance
  • Overhauled to Lycoming’s New Engine Fits and Tolerances, as a Minimum
  • Weight-Matched Set of New Lycoming Pistons, Rings, and Wrist Pins
  • Cylinder Options
  • All Parts, New and Overhauled, are Critically Inspected and Evaluated; Benchmarked to Lycoming’s New Engine Fits and Tolerances to Ensure Penn Yan Aero’s Stringent Quality Standards
  • Crankshaft and Rotating Assembly Dynamically Spin-Balanced to within 0.20 Ounce/Inch Grams of Lycoming’s New Engine Specifications
  • New Camshaft and Lifters
  • New Bearings and Bushings
  • New Oil Hoses, Seals, Bushings, and Gaskets
  • New Slick Ignition Harness
  • New Champion Spark Plugs
  • New SkyTec Lite Weight Starter
  • New Slick Magnetos
  • New Champion Oil Filter
  • Certified Fuel Injection System
  • New or Certified Fuel Pump
  • New Miscellaneous Nuts, Washers, Bushings, and Springs, as needed and required
  • Current and Compliant with all FAA Airworthiness Directives and Manufacturer’s Service Bulletins and Letters
  • Set-Up and Tested Via Penn Yan Aero’s Rigorous 100 Minute Proof-Positive Test-Run and Post-Run Inspection
  • Penn Yan Aero’s Industry Leading Warranty: 100% Parts and Labor for 3-Years or to Lycoming's Maximum Recommended Time Between Overhaul (TBO), whichever Occurs First, Supported Worldwide and Transferable from One Owner to the Next
  • Effective Diagnostic Service and Competent Technical Support

Penn Yan Aero Overhauled IO-360-A1A
with Penn Yan Aero Overhauled Steel Cylinders
$25,011 / $224 per month

with Penn Yan Aero Overhauled Nickel Cylinders
$26,894 / $241 per month

with New Factory Cylinders
$28,918 / $259 per month

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mooney_Mike said:

Well, I would recommend going to the Penn Yan website and getting a quote. It is an instant online quote once you click the boxes and specify which engine you have.

If you want it done right expect to pay for it.

I can understand you not wanting to divulge what you paid for the OH, but I'm curious as to how much your A&P charged for removal and installation. I just went through an OH and felt I paid him too much. Feel free to PM me.

Looking great! I love new engines:)

For those of you that would like another option to freshen up the baffling is to powder coat them. I did mine in Aluminum color and I thought they look pretty good. Here is a picture of my last J when I put on the LyCon cylinders.

Another tip for those that have alternators is to put on an extra belt and zip tie it down out of the way. Saves your bacon in the envent you loose a belt. Keeps you from having to pull the prop. You can see how I did it in the picture.

• Like 1

Just now, kmyfm20s said:

Looking great! I love new engines:)

For those of you that would like another option to freshen up the baffling is to power coat them. I did mine in Aluminum color and I thought they look pretty good. Here is a picture of my last J when I put on the LyCon cylinders.

Another tip for those that have alternators is to put on an extra belt and zip tie it down out of the way. Save you bacon in the envent you loose a belt. Keeps you from having to pull the prop. You can see how I did it in the picture.

No picture, but a great idea.

6 hours ago, gsengle said:

I was thrilled years ago with my Lyc Penn Yan overhaul. Now I have an io550, anyone have any experience with Penn Yan and Continental?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They were 4-6k MORE than Continental direct for our Cirrus. Continental guaranteed new crankcase (ours cracked) Penn Yan did not. Factory also didn't penalize for the crack on the core. Needless to say we went factory. I won't say factory is better than Pen Yan's best, its probably not, but I will say our Factory Rebuilt is almost entirely factory new parts, and even came with Tempest Fine wire plugs.... and maybe cheaper and faster turn around. Shipping time was about 2 weeks, and every promise that Continental made was kept 100%. James Towle @ CMI sets the gold standard for sales and customer service. Anyway, engine runs great, and we are happy. Powermasters and Zephyr also come highly reviewed for Continental rebuilds. I'd be happy with any of the big name shops.

Also make sure you're up to speed on the io550 cam gear mandatory service bulletin... word is it may become an AD. Not all shops have been updating the gear including some of the better ones, probably best to make sure its replaced by whomever you go with.

Mike - Engine looks awesome. Its really exciting to start with a nice clean engine that just "works" and doesn't leak, foul plugs, etc. We just did it last summer. Very excited for you... but I know it wasn't cheap. :-) Enjoy!!

• Like 1