Ifd100 app and Bluetooth

When you guys connect to the ifd app do you pair your device to the ifd first?

We have wifi and Bluetooth and click allow when the ifd boots up but the iPad doesn't see any devices to connect to and I'm not sure why. I can see a wifi network but I connect to my adsb via WiFi and don't want to change that.

There are technical specs for the iPad that may be helpful for this...

the number of connections that can be made using wifi vs BT are different.  I think the wifi may be stronger?

check your settings section on the iPad.

I think you can connect to one wifi device and a bunch of BT devices at a time.

See if that was helpful...

Best regards,

-a-

8 hours ago, Pirate said:

Go into iPad settings 

select general

select IFD app

choose your IFD device such as IFD540, IFD440, IFD550 etc. You can also select and run up to two iPads if you like. 

We checked that

We have one ifd and one iPad so the settings are pretty easy, there's only 3 options.

If I can't pair the device through ios I don't think the software can do anything with it though 

found it I think, you have to put the IFD into maintenance mode and go to the BT config screen to pair a device.

The Maintenance Mode can be accessed by using the following procedures (on the ground
only):
Power on the IFD5XX
Press Enter Button to accept the on screen statement
Press Proceed Line Select Key (LSK) followed by the Confirm LSK on the database
acknowledgement screen (if shown)
Select the "AUX" function key to display the Auxiliary Page. Press on the right side
of the "AUX" Function key until the "SYS" tab is shown
Select "Update Databases" LSK by pressing the associated button. Press the
"Confirm" LSK after it appears. The screen will blank for several seconds before
coming up in Maintenance Mod
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Browncbr1 said:

I have read that bluetooth consumes less power on ipads/iphones than wifi, which would help on the longer flights... 

I need the wifi for ADSB traffic on my ipad. If the IFD540 would connect to my stratux via wifi that would be sweet. But it won't. I could probably make the stratux run via BT and use wifi on the IFD but I dont see any advantage to it.

Just now, peevee said:

I need the wifi for ADSB traffic on my ipad. If the IFD540 would connect to my stratux via wifi that would be sweet. But it won't.

i have't checked the stratux build log in a long time. they might have added code for a BT dongle.  if you haven't already, you might want to check the site to see if that has been developed yet .

28 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

i have't checked the stratux build log in a long time. they might have added code for a BT dongle.  if you haven't already, you might want to check the site to see if that has been developed yet .

I believe it was added when the pi zero came out since it has native BT.

However, I see no operational advantage to be gained by switching.

2 hours ago, Browncbr1 said:

I use the Stratux with wifi and the battery pack will last 8-12 hours so plenty long.  My iPad will last 4-5 hours with Foreflight open and wireless ADS-B in.  Usually enough, but I can always plug into the cigar lighter.

With all these devices using bluetooth  in the cockpit made from  various avionics manufactures Avidyne IFD 5xx/4xx / Garmin and ADS-B like L3 9000 or Stratus  or Stratux  or ??

So does this mean if have all these  we going to multiple Ipads/tablet devices ? 

James '67C

12 hours ago, jamesm said:

With all these devices using bluetooth  in the cockpit made from  various avionics manufactures Avidyne IFD 5xx/4xx / Garmin and ADS-B like L3 9000 or Stratus  or Stratux  or ??

So does this mean if have all these  we going to multiple Ipads/tablet devices ? 

James '67C

The ifd can be a hotspot or connect to another hotspot. It looks like I can connect the ifd and ipads to the adsb hotspot and they'll all talk on the same network.

From the manual

“In some cases, an aircraft may have an existing WAP in use. For example, some aircraft may be accustomed to connecting 3rd party iPad applications to a Stratus ADS-B receiver. These pilots will likely wish to also have access to the IFD from their iPads. In order to achieve this configuration, the IFD must be configured to connect to the Stratus receiver. This will allow tablet devices to access data from both the Stratus and the IFD simultaneously”

found it I think, you have to put the IFD into maintenance mode and go to the BT config screen to pair a device.
The Maintenance Mode can be accessed by using the following procedures (on the ground only): 1. Power on the IFD5XX 2. Press Enter Button to accept the on screen statement 3. Press Proceed Line Select Key (LSK) followed by the Confirm LSK on the database acknowledgement screen (if shown) 4. Select the "AUX" function key to display the Auxiliary Page. Press on the right side of the "AUX" Function key until the "SYS" tab is shown 5. Select "Update Databases" LSK by pressing the associated button. Press the "Confirm" LSK after it appears. The screen will blank for several seconds before coming up in Maintenance Mod

A faster way to get into maintenance mode is plug a USB thumb drive into the slot before you power it up. It will start up in Maintenance Mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

A faster way to get into maintenance mode is plug a USB thumb drive into the slot before you power it up. It will start up in Maintenance Mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't always carry a USB dongle with me

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...