LED bulb replacement for Xevision

231LV

16 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

It's different technology. You can get HId bulbs for about 30$ from Amazon. The ballasts can be replaced with a much more reliable Philips version from a Range Rover or BMW. 

Are the Xevision ballasts known to be unreliable? I installed the 50W I got one with the Mooney list group buy maybe 10 years ago; it's been trouble free since installation.

9 hours ago, Shadrach said:

Are the Xevision ballasts known to be unreliable? I installed the 50W I got one with the Mooney list group buy maybe 10 years ago; it's been trouble free since installation.

I haven't had any problems with it since install around the same time as you (part of the Mooney group buy) once I figured out that the ballasts need cooling but the electrical draw remains significant and one of the bulbs is now TU so I thought an LED would be the "bees knees"...

12 hours ago, Shadrach said:

ive had two of the 'box" ballasts go bad. The kind you have.   after the second one, they offered to
upgrade" my ballast to the newer solid state style, but for full price. I found the Philips ballast they were using and replaced it for 100$. It is only 35W though, not 50W but its been a year no problems.

IMG_7235.JPG

Edited by jetdriven

1 hour ago, jetdriven said:

ive had two of the 'box" ballasts go bad. The kind you have.   after the second one, they offered to
upgrade" my ballast to the newer solid state style, but for full price. I found the Philips ballast they were using and replaced it for 100$. It is only 35W though, not 50W but its been a year no problems.

IMG_7235.JPG

Odd that we've had no problems with ours in 700hrs and 10 years.

4 hours ago, 231LV said:

I haven't had any problems with it since install around the same time as you (part of the Mooney group buy) once I figured out that the ballasts need cooling but the electrical draw remains significant and one of the bulbs is now TU so I thought an LED would be the "bees knees"...

Our current draw is quite low compared to the old sealed beam. There is an obvious spike for the first few seconds, but it settles down quickly. We're still running a 60amp gen and the LL draws about 5amps once it's warmed up. I have no problems taxiing at night with everything on as long as we hold >1000RPM.  I like LEDs, but I've compared them side by side at night with my 50W Xevision HID and there is no contest for the products I've seen so far.  I find it especially nice when landing at rural airports that share space with wildlife.  It's nice to be able to see well down the runway long before touchdown.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/5/2017 at 8:49 PM, jetdriven said:

It's different technology. You can get HId bulbs for about 30$ from Amazon. The ballasts can be replaced with a much more reliable Philips version from a Range Rover or BMW. 

The bulbs you talk about from Amazon and other places are Chinese counterfeits which can cause ballast failures. We do use Philips authentic and traceable pedigree bulbs. To get authentic Philips HID bulbs you have to pay way more than $30.00

We have never offered or used that Philips ballast in the past or currently. We have used our XV4D ballast for many years now, look on our website.

We have been making our own Proprietary ballasts (not Philips) since 2004. Automotive ballasts are only 35 watt never 50 or higher.

Our ballasts have always been solid state, just the change from Analog to all SMT and Digital.

Dan from XeVision

Edited by FastGlasair
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

I'm looking to upgrade my landing + taxi lights substantially.  And I mean - I need the nuclear option.  Home base has very poor lighting and I often go into rural strips full of deer.  What's the best I can get into a 12V Mooney 231?  Seems to be HID.   Additionally I'd love to get wig-wag high intensity recognition lights that can stay on for the duration of the flight.  (If I go HID for landing+taxi I expect I'll have to turn them off in flight for heat).

The size of your existing lamps are likely Par36 (4.5 in diameter). Heating is not normally an issue for wig wag or otherwise (steady on), also for our patented wigwag feature.

I believe both of your lights are in the cowling, side by side. Wig wag won't be effective because they are too close together, "melding" into one from any significant distance.. they would need to be simultaneously pulsed unless they are in the wings with a good distance between them. Our pulsing system can offer either wigwag and simultaneous pulsing.

The "nuclear option" as you put it would be 75 watt (true bulb output not ballast input watts as some competitors use for inflated marketing numbers). 75 watt is most likely overkill and 50 watt HID would more than suffice.  50 watt HID is equivalent output to about 450 watt incandescent, 75 watt is close to the output of 600 watt incandescent. HID Generates much less heat than a 100 watt incandescent that you likely already have or had.

Please let us know if we can be of any additional help.

Dan Blumel

our website is www.xevision.com

801-622-7000 Utah (mountain time)

dblumel@xevision.com

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FastGlasair said:

Please let us know if we can be of any additional help.

Dan Blumel

our website is www.xevision.com

801-622-7000 Utah (mountain time)

dblumel@xevision.com

Dan thanks for your help and input here - much appreciated.  Sent you an mail.  Looks like the 50W option is just fine - just worried about the whole FSDO 331 process - doesn't sound like fun.  

Edited by pwnel