Aspen or g5(s)

salty

(assuming 2x G5s - one for AI and the other DG/HSI)

G5 Pros:  two separate units that can each mimic each other. No single point of failure.
G5 Cons: two separate units, doesn't look as clean (IMO).  No Autopilot heading bug (right now).  IFR certified?

Aspen VFR Pros: upgradeable to more advanced feature with just software.  Nice $1000/off discount right now. (probably the biggest reason - in my opinion)
Aspen VFR Cons: single unit, single point of failure for both the AI and DG.

Both look good.  If I was pulling the trigger on a VFR non-autopilot plane today - I think I would do the Aspen at $3999 before the end of April.

Aspen has a know path forward for IFR and auto pilot interface.  G5 you are hoping it will come in the future.

That said Aspen could and should offer the full Pro 1000 version for the 4AMU price IMHO.  At that price I think they would increase volume tremendously and claim a greater market share.  The only difference is software and yes software does cost $ to develop.  People who were struggling with the decision to install a single Aspen Pro would probably do it faster and probably install 2.

• Like 1

My current plan was just to replace my dodgy AI with a single G5, but I was toying with the idea of putting in a second one with hsi when I saw the discount on aspen I started wondering.....

the plane is ifr certified but as I said, no gps or autopilot. (I can't imagine flying it in actual imc)

Also for the aspen it seems each feature is associated with a 1-2.5 AMU software unlock. Additional costs included database updates.  Autopilot coupler is extra.  

No SV or databases on the G5- some may like the simplicity.   

I kind of like Avidynes approach to software updates - lots of new features included in the gratis updates.  

Plan on staying a VFR pilot or going IFR?

Do you like basic IFR Or do you have a deeper IFR plan?

Some of us don't plan on going IFR and an ordinary G5 AI would work well.

Some of us want to go IFR and appreciate the expandability of a more complex system.

Some of us like the basic IFR capability of our existing platforms. A G5 would make a nice replacement of the vacuum AI when it fails.

More about the pilot's mission than it is about the device itself...

Best regards,

-a-

4 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Plan on staying a VFR pilot or going IFR?

Do you like basic IFR Or do you have a deeper IFR plan?

Some of us don't plan on going IFR and an ordinary G5 AI would work well.

Some of us want to go IFR and appreciate the expandability of a more complex system.

Some of us like the basic IFR capability of our existing platforms. A G5 would make a nice replacement of the vacuum AI when it fails.

More about the pilot's mission than it is about the device itself...

Best regards,

-a-

I plan on getting ifr but I don't think I will fly anywhere near imc conditions in this plane without autopilot or gps, if that answers the question. 

• Like 1

It does on the g3x

Interesting...I did not know that and it makes me want the G3X even more in my Mooney.

You can download the manuals for the G5 from Garmin's site and look for GDL compatibility. I didn't see any when I quickly looked some time ago.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

I plan on getting ifr but I don't think I will fly anywhere near imc conditions in this plane without autopilot or gps, if that answers the question. 

There are digital autopilots in the new cert process right now, and IMO they would potentially talk nicely with the G5. If you're a gambler, you might pick the G5 and hope one of those autopilots gets approved for Mooney airframes and the G5. If not, safe bet that the pro Aspen will talk to them.

Salty,

the G5 doesn't support flying in IMC with an autopilot as well as the higher solutions do.

Keep in mind, Some autopilots around here use a separate gyro connected to the vac driven AP/wing leveler.  

What is better, highly depends on how much you want to spend and what you can get out of it.

if your mission changes what does it cost to gear up for for the next mission.

If you want a G5, get one.  If it doesn't work for you sell it and get the next thing...

What does the G5 offer to you over what you have in your panel already? Anything?

If this is too much dough and requires more thinking, only you can decide this far out...

How does that sound?

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

2 hours ago, KSMooniac said:

Interesting...I did not know that and it makes me want the G3X even more in my Mooney.

You can download the manuals for the G5 from Garmin's site and look for GDL compatibility. I didn't see any when I quickly looked some time ago.

G5 doesn't talk to gdl39 as far as I can tell. 

49 minutes ago, carusoam said:

What does the G5 offer to you over what you have in your panel already? Anything?

My AI is failing slowly and G5 seemed like a nice replacement with nice tape alt and air speed etc. 2 g5s would replace the AI, DG and a VOR, if I understand right. 

Edited by salty
  • Like 1

Compare an OH to the G5...then Aspen...

Something like 2amu, 5amu, 10amu in rough numbers.

It would be nice if the G5 did something really special.  It has more potential than anything else.

Without approvals and outputs that the experimental version has it will be a bit limited for what its cost is.

Best regards,

-a-

57 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

The second G5 will only display VOR/HSI information if you have a compatible Garmin nav source installed, which I don't and don't plan to, unfortunately.  This is a major shortcoming of the second G5 in my opinion.  Typical Garmin not playing nicely with others.  I might buy one or more G5s anyway.  I am currently exploring the same options you are and haven't decided yet.

That makes me want to go aspen. Doesn't it work with most vhf nav radios at least?

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Compare an OH to the G5...then Aspen...

Something like 2amu, 5amu, 10amu in rough numbers.

It would be nice if the G5 did something really special.  It has more potential than anything else.

Without approvals and outputs that the experimental version has it will be a bit limited for what its cost is.

Best regards,

-a-

Vfr aspen is less than 5k isn't it? Am I missing something?

4 minutes ago, salty said:

Vfr aspen is less than 5k isn't it? Am I missing something?

It's ~10 years old, and if Garmin continues down the current development path the company may be out of business unless they have an unannounced product somewhere (I hope so).  Either way I would be reluctant to buy the current generation.

4 hours ago, Bryan said:

(assuming 2x G5s - one for AI and the other DG/HSI)

G5 Pros:  two separate units that can each mimic each other. No single point of failure.
G5 Cons: two separate units, doesn't look as clean (IMO).  No Autopilot heading bug (right now).  IFR certified?

Aspen VFR Pros: upgradeable to more advanced feature with just software.  Nice $1000/off discount right now. (probably the biggest reason - in my opinion)

Both look good.  If I was pulling the trigger on a VFR non-autopilot plane today - I think I would do the Aspen at $3999 before the end of April.

VFR non-autopilot plane- I certainly get the appeal of an EFIS / "Attitude indictor" on steroids, but I wouldn't put money in anything right now.  Development path of Garmin is uncertain, although I can't see Garmin not coming in with an autopilot solution (see trutrack development).  Current certified products are a bit along in the tooth, and it's time for a new generation of products.

I'm considering the G5 as well. It's a great way to get something reliable and it doesn't cost all that much. I'd need to buy a new radio (currently have a King stack) but I've been looking to upgrade my radios anyway. I briefly looked at the Aspen but decided it wasn't right for what I wanted to do, plus it was expensive for what I was wanting.

I plan to put in a new panel soon (currently have a shotgun setup). With the G5, it's a replacement for an AI so if Garmin decides not to upgrade it in the future or something better comes along, I have a better chance of not having to replace the entire panel again like I would with the Aspen. It's "scalable", if you will.

The G5 is STC'd as your primary/sole attitude indicator if it has a GPS signal (strange but true). However I'm fairly sure it is not currently certified to replace your HSI/DG. It doesnt have a magnatometer interface so it's only showing gps heading (which isn't legal for vectors etc)

-Robert

Edited by RobertGary1

29 minutes ago, RobertGary1 said:

The G5 is STC'd as your primary/sole attitude indicator if it has a GPS signal (strange but true). However I'm fairly sure it is not currently certified to replace your HSI/DG. It doesnt have a magnatometer interface so it's only showing gps heading (which isn't legal for vectors etc)

-Robert

It is certified for hsi DG now with a magnetometer. http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Garmin-G5-Certified-as-Replacement-for-Directional-Gyro-Instruments-228724-1.html

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, salty said:

These are exciting times. Can't keep up anymore. !:). Hopefully this new wave of affordable safety equipment will eventually work its way into gps ifr certs as well. 

-Robert 

9 hours ago, Bryan said:

I flew in a rental with dual Aspens. They have 1-button take-over feature where the surviving Aspen can display PFD, using the red "REV" button.