Increasing Useful Load of New Mooneys

201er

Lots of talk about the need for more useful load in the newer Mooneys but the limitations being the gear and stall speed. In regards to stall speed, from what I understand, these are ways to increase load without increasing that speed (while keeping the same wing/design):

1) Reduce airframe weight

2) Increase wingspan

3) Increase chord

What nobody has mentioned is flap design. Do you think the flaps could be redesigned to buy a few more knots of reduced stall speed? As far as I know, the flaps have not been altered since the first wood M20. Perhaps going to a slotted flap or even fowler flap could add enough chord to lower stall speed or increase gross weight? With modern materials, servo motors, etc, the 1950 constraints of mechanical connections and wooden wings are no longer relevant.

Maybe even go to a full wing length flaperon in two sections. The outer most flap can act as an aileron and/or flap. That's a lot of length to be gained. Thoughts?

I've never been a great fan of the Mooney flap design..I think they function best as approach flaps only,the severe pitch down when full flaps are applied are a function of the simple straight hinge non fowler design.Im not sure if a design change is possible on this wing

Yes in the event of the failure of your only power plant, the certification standards want you to have a chance of surviving an off airport landing by keeping stall speed reasonable. Frankly 61kts is pretty quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never been a great fan of the Mooney flap design..I think they function best as approach flaps only,the severe pitch down when full flaps are applied are a function of the simple straight hinge non fowler design.

But with that severe pitch down, you get lots of drag, at least the flaps rate is equal to the trim rate, so you can keep it close to trimmed by doing both simultaneously.