Flap pump for 1966 M20C wanted

Flap switch up = flaps up... manual or not.  Mooney or not.

It wouldn't make sense to have it run backwards.

see if you can find some pictures around here of somebody's plane that is similar.

good luck.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

18 hours ago, flyhigh603 said:

My Mech said I was installed last annual but previous Mech stripped every bolt and put it in backwards somehow so the flap release works opposite from the way the manual says it's supposed to work. 

Sounds odd to me, I just rebuilt mine about 6 months ago, the release lever at cylinder could have been installed 180* out, stripped threads can be repaired

To release flaps I had to put flap lever down, to lower flaps I had to put lever up. Flew it for 35 hrs and had no idea. Works great but because manual says the opposite along with placards it's technically illegal. 

On April 6, 2017 at 6:59 AM, flyhigh603 said:

My Mech said I was installed last annual but previous Mech stripped every bolt and put it in backwards somehow so the flap release works opposite from the way the manual says it's supposed to work. 

I have one that's currently dissassembled but complete. I am very familiar with these units and I am happy to help your MX troubleshoot. It's a simple and elegant system but I have seen them reassembled improperly on more than one occasion. If yours truly is TU then I'll consider letting my spare go.

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:59 AM, flyhigh603 said:

It has been about 15 years sense I worked on one of those pumps, but I think I remember that the arm on that shaft can be assembled 180 degrees off, which would cause the effect you are seeing. All you have to do is take the arm off and flip it around and re-rig the cable.

That shaft just has a flat on it so when it is moved off center the flat pushes on a rod that unseats a ball releasing the pressure. If the cable is rigged so the flat does not unseat the ball in the up position, it will work backwards too.

I would be suspicious of any mechanic who wanted to replace the pump for this problem. It tells me two things, He doesn't know how this pump works and he doesn't know how to fix things only replace parts.

Edited by N201MKTurbo

• 1 month later...