M20K 252 TSE Panel Upgrade

3 hours ago, kmyfm20s said:

Looks good! Keep in mind that your right yoke horn will be in front of your engine monitor. Mine is on the left side of my panel and had to play with the height to be able to easily see it t monitor all the perameters. 

The EDM-900 is the one item that I've already flown with in the panel. I can see it just fine in that location.

• Like 1

Nice layout!

How many revisions has it taken to get that far?

have you taken paper dolls (prints) out to the plane and overlay it on the panel?

Paper question...

G5 is primary and the Aspen is BU?

That looks great.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

Nice layout!
How many revisions has it taken to get that far?
have you taken paper dolls (prints) out to the plane and overlay it on the panel?
Paper question...
G5 is primary and the Aspen is BU?
That looks great.
Best regards,
-a-

I suspect he has a mechanical or electrical AI in the panel somewhere. The Aspen cannot be legally used as a backup, even for itself. The Aspen 2000 with extended battery pack will allow you to remove the ASI and altimeter but either a mechanical AI with a vacuum system or an approved backup electronic version (like an ESI-500) needs to be in the panel.

Some of the shops out there or perhaps in conjunction with support from the local FSDO are approving these on their own.

I spent a lot of time talking to the avionics manufacturers and avionics shops to understand what is supposed to be permissible. Trek Lawler from Garmin also spoke about the G5 and the non-approval of it as a backup to anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

The plan is for a field approval for the G5 Aspen combo. The shop that's doing mine has had four of five of them approved already. There are also at least two other shops in the area who have gotten multiple approvals as well. It seems to be a pretty good bet for me at this point. I can always add an RCA2600-2 later if necessary.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
Beautiful!
I literally would have to mortgage my house for that panel.

It's not cheap. But I've done it as cheaply as possible. I accumulated all the pieces either used off of Barnstormers, A Fox, or Black Friday deals, friend's with discounts, etc. it took a year to assemble the parts. Then finally we put it all together. Final cost will come in at about half of what it would be walking into a shop and asking for all of this.
  • Like 1

Looking good Paul but I question your decision to leave it with Sandman and Chocks. On my way to Austin yesterday I swear I saw a Mooney flying inverted as I passed the ELA VOR!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, mccdeuce said:

For the G5 -Aspen combo field approval - curious if the G5 is the acting primary AI which requires no backup. So the Aspen becomes SA only.

I think at some point I suspect the FAA will take an interest in this discussion. As an Aspen 2000 owner, I cannot use the MFD in reversion as the backup AI. It still required that I had a backup AI. But if I didn't have the Aspen, I could be fine to have the G5 as the only AI in the plane -- odd, to say the least.

Could also explain why some regional FSDOs are approving the G5 as a backup to the G500 or Aspen.