Quick avionics question if I update to G500

6 hours ago, Rmag said:

That is of course assuming that you have the GTN 750 which would not be the case in a full electrical failure.  Having an iPad is also a good MFD for a full electrical failure. 

You are correct--if both alternators fail and I run both ship's batteries down, then I only have the iPad and  the 796 left.  

Then two hours later I'm down to just the whisky compass.  

It is, of course, a dark and stormy night, so while holding a flashlight in my teeth, I fly a VOR approach using the handheld radio and humming a sea shantie to time the missed approach.

Manly Sea Shanties

Edited by Jerry 5TJ
  • Like 4

• 2 months later...

G500 dimming issue. I'm flying a 97 ovation with a g500 installed and I've been told that the reason my g500 will not auto dim is that the install shop relied on the g500 photo cell instead of picking up the panel dimming circuit. The ovation eyebrow lights confuse the g500 photocell. 

I have the older ESI-2000 serving as certified backup to the G500.  It gets its heading data, I'm nearly certain, from the GMU44 magnetometer via the G500 suite, and not from GPS track data.  

When the CFII "fails" the G500 suite as he does every year by powering it off (he can't seem to help himself) the magnetic heading info on the ESI-2000 is "X-ed" out.  

The rest of the ESI-2000 data -- airspeed, baro altitude and attitude gyro -- remain operating.  

Buying the pricey ESI-2000 optional magnetometer would solve that, but I found it easy enough to fly using GPS ground track from the GTN750 map page. 

Or I just drive the little airplane down the magenta line to the airport. 

As a dead-last resort I might look at the whiskey compass.  That's  if I happen to remember it exists. 

Jerry - I had Ben confirm that the heading provided to the ESI is in fact coming from the Aspen magnetometer. It is. Since I have two magnetometers, maybe I can have him provide a switch between them. That will help prevent me singing sea shanties as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

8 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Jerry - I had Ben confirm that the heading provided to the ESI is in fact coming from the Aspen magnetometer. It is. Since I have two magnetometers, maybe I can have him provide a switch between them. That will help prevent me singing sea shanties as well.

A switch?  So 20th Century.... Think Space Shuttle Redundancy -- Install the back-up magnetometer, and a small processor that votes between the three magnetic headings and rejects one outlier. 

• Like 1