IO550 Camshaft Gear SB - If becomes AD, Then Costly

1 hour ago, Seth said:

Any updates on this SB potentially becoming an AD?

Don't sweat it Seth , If need be we can do it in your hangar...1 day off , One day to change the gear , and two days back on.... 4K plus parts .. And you are buying the lunches.....

Just now, Alan Fox said:

Don't sweat it Seth , If need be we can do it in your hangar...1 day off , One day to change the gear , and two days back on.... 4K plus parts .. And you are buying the lunches.....

Set up an assembly line. You can do ours too.

12 minutes ago, Alan Fox said:

Hell, for that I'll buy the after hours beer too.... :D

Brian

I'll throw in a hand...

We can have an IO550 fly-in maintenance weekend.

I am a firm believer the recent factory reman in my ship already has the proper gear...

We may need a few rooms at the local airport hotel... :)

Best regards,

-a-

Good News!!

New SB attached – no longer a Mandatory SB and no longer  to become an AD by the FAA.

Continental CSB05-8C (camshaft gear).pdf

High lights are it calls for recurring annual inspections and replacing affected gear p/n's  at next overhaul.

From the last paragraph on page 1 of CSB05-8C, shows this will not become an AD:

Per definitions contained in Chapter 1 of M-0, Standard Practice Maintenance Manual; MSB05-8B was created in accordance with FAA Advisory Circular (AC) 20-176A, Service Bulletins Related to Airworthiness Directives, at the encouragement of the FAA and was issued in March 2017. Subsequent analysis by the FAA has determined that an Airworthiness Directive (AD) may not be warranted at the present time therefore, this bulletin is being reissued as CSB05-8C, a Category 2, Critical Service Bulletin.

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, M20S Driver said:

YES... +1

I was very disappointed at AOPA in this case...  They did not come out strong at all IMHO.  They acted more like a news reporter than our advocate.

I think it's difficult, from a legal as well as practical stand point, for AOPA to comment / advocate on individual SBs. I commend Mike Busch for his courage to take on this issue and I am sure he will be sleeping easy at night because he has the evidence / data to back him up. AOPA's lawyer, on the other hand....

At best, all AOPA can do is to make general comments about the draconian, dictatorial, believing-everything-the-manufacturer-says (insert your own opinions here) attitude of FAA. 

• Like 1