Turn Coordinator Off-center

Mooney13

Hello,

My Mooney Ovation turn coordinator is off (to the right) a significant amount (half ball). All other leveling checks tell me the plane is sitting level, so I am thinking an adjustment to the coordinator or the panel is tilted... Anyone have this issue? I can't really see how the panel could be off that much and can't see anywhere to adjust on the coordinator...

Picture attached

Thanks in advance for any advice!

TC-Off Center.jpg

#13 Is that what it looks like in flight?  Or that is what it looks like on the ground?

If in flight, are you familiar with the electric rudder trim?  Is it working?  What happens when you step on the ball.

Some PP ideas, not a mechanic.

Best regards,

-a-

Only a guess... but that looks like there must be an adjustment for that.

Setting a level accross the top of the mounting screws will show how level the instrument is.

The Tks instrument below has a nice flat surface that may work better for your level.

The iPhone has a level app if you need that.

Any idea who made and what model of turn coordinator we have?

I just recognized the power isn't on flag. :)

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

Funny you mention the iPhone. I actually did that on the bottom of the panel and it was off  little but not as much as the ball. I will try checking the level at the mounting screws tomorrow. I'm not sure of the model. I'll look through my paperwork. I could not see any brand names on the unit. Thanks again!

5 minutes ago, Mooney13 said:

Funny you mention the iPhone. I actually did that on the bottom of the panel and it was off  little but not as much as the ball. I will try checking the level at the mounting screws tomorrow. I'm not sure of the model. I'll look through my paperwork. I could not see any brand names on the unit. Thanks again!

It probably doesn't take a lot of tilt to move the ball. 

Hello, My Mooney Ovation turn coordinator is off (to the right) a significant amount (half ball). All other leveling checks tell me the plane is sitting level, so I am thinking an adjustment to the coordinator or the panel is tilted... Anyone have this issue? I can't really see how the panel could be off that much and can't see anywhere to adjust on the coordinator...

Picture attached

Thanks in advance for any advice!

58e43b4464744_TC-OffCenter.jpg.b88858f08164c89be9d91a3159cd8a46.jpg

I think I got it fixed for you.

332aa2bee267fb2edd571dc7dbaf2cf6.jpg

In a more serious response, does the ball move freely in flight? I had a turn coordinator where there was something in that tube that the ball was getting hung up on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Haha!

Well now its fixed! :) can you do my annuals too? :)
It moves around OK and I can center it in flight, but always off when on the level ground...

Piloto, is the mount the round things holding the panel to the tubing (that the screws go through)? or is there something else I am missing? I can't find any real info on how they should look..It seems like it would be hard to move it up enough to straighten that much "right low", but it has to be something!

Thanks again guys..

4 minutes ago, Mooney13 said:

Haha!

Well now its fixed! :) can you do my annuals too? :)
It moves around OK and I can center it in flight, but always off when on the level ground...

Piloto, is the mount the round things holding the panel to the tubing (that the screws go through)? or is there something else I am missing? I can't find any real info on how they should look..It seems like it would be hard to move it up enough to straighten that much "right low", but it has to be something!

Thanks again guys..

Here is how they look: http://www.skygeek.com/j6984-64.html The screw does not go through the rubber. When it breaks is hard to see unless you try to stretch them

I just ordered two of them.

José

• 3 years later...
28 minutes ago, Moonbat said:

Did you ever figure out what was causing the turn coordinator ball to hang out slightly to the right side? 

By the last thing discussed...

The panel mounts seem to have needed replacement...

13 didn’t check in after that...

There are small dollar parts that are easy to replace...

When worn, they can cause significant panel sag.

Best regards,

-a-

The glass tube in the turn coordinator has an air reservoir on the left side.  Sometimes during installation if the instrument is turned the wrong way the air comes out of the reservoir and into the tube on the wrong side of the ball. Removing it a rotating it will put the air back in the reservoir.

Clarence