Manual Retractable Step Speed Limitation

Hello All,

What is the speed limitation of the manual retractable step in a 1962 M20C?  Assuming the shop that has my Mooney now will not have the issue resolve by the time I have plans to pick her up.  Additionally, I would rather have my regular A&P address the issue.  Can I fly her 2-3 hours back home with the retractable step down without causing any additional issues?  I have the old manual with minimal information, maybe I missed it but I did not see anything in the manual about speed limitation on retractable step.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan

6 minutes ago, Mooney_Mike said:

I'm wondering if one could just remove the step altogether? Save the weight and the drag. 

Anyone done this? Yes, I know it will be harder to get on and off the wing......

I personally know of several Mooneys without steps. Not just retracted on the ground, but not there at all.

40 minutes ago, Mooney_Mike said:

I'm wondering if one could just remove the step altogether? Save the weight and the drag. 

Anyone done this? Yes, I know it will be harder to get on and off the wing......

My wife would probably complain more than anyone else.:ph34r:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mooney_Mike said:

Mine is welded down and I've thought about doing this. I decided to leave it because it does make it easier to get into and out of the plane, especially when you have passengers. The speed isn't affected enough for me to remove it.

Realistically, putting it in perspective...

- There is no speed limitation printed for it.

- Mine is down and welded.

- it's made out of steel and/or heavy duty aluminum square tube.

- has minimal surface area.

- is designed to handle the loading of Marauder's entire heard.

- it is close to the aircraft's centerline.

- The only thing noticeable when it is left down is the slower speed caused by the square tube hanging in the wind.

Consider having your mechanic stow it properly.  You don't want to have loose cables floating around in the back where your control tubes like to operate.

If the manual gear has the same spring as the vacuum operated gear, use caution.  The spring likes to be wound.  But, it doesn't care which orientation it uses to wind itself... it will choose the orientation that is least convenient for the pilot.

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam

The step retention block is pretty robust.  The step is not taking a big beating when down.  I have flown with mine down when the rubber boot was damaged.  No negatives noted.  The steps are nice when they are working.  No pilot workload.  They "suck up" at start-up and lower at shutdown.  That is what that "clunk" is after shut-down.  I know zero reason why you would weld a retractable step down or up.  If broken fix it.  Weight is a non-factor.  I would never remove my step.  I like it and my wife is vertically challenged on the inseam.  She NEEDS it.

• Like 1

No limit at all, I keep mine up so when I have to put it down for passengers I usually forget to put it back up :D. It will slow you down a bit but will not damage anything. 

I see that your Bird is just a bit Newer than mine!

Brian

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Realistically, putting it in perspective...

- There is no speed limitation printed for it.

- Mine is down and welded.

- it's made out of steel and/or heavy duty aluminum square tube.

- has minimal surface area.

- is designed to handle the loading of Marauder's entire heard.

- it is close to the aircraft's centerline.

- The only thing noticeable when it is left down is the slower speed caused by the square tube hanging in the wind.

Consider having your mechanic stow it properly.  You don't want to have loose cables floating around in the back where your control tubes like to operate.

If the manual gear has the same spring as the vacuum operated gear, use caution.  The spring likes to be wound.  But, it doesn't care which orientation it uses to wind itself... it will choose the orientation that is least convenient for the pilot.

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic.

Best regards,

-a-

haha, damn.  

I assumed the step is about 1/2 sq ft exposed to the wind.

A 180mph the step will see around 70 lbs of steady force. Granted it's a different vector than a person stepping on it, I don't think it'd be an issue.

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

Mine was removed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Does it just unbolt or what? Mine is the fixed in place type. I would like to get rid of it.

The less drag and weight the better I say.

Edited by Mooney_Mike

1 hour ago, Mooney_Mike said:

Does it just unbolt or what? Mine is the fixed in place type. I would like to get rid of it.

The less drag and weight the better I say.

I think it had 4 bolts that held it on. My plane is in the shop or I would try to snap a picture.