I have the MOONEY BUG!

Aren't you also limited to 50 miles distance from your originating airport?

Nope, that's a "recreational pilot" limitation.

I know some are saying that this is an inefficient way to achieve your PPL. I think of it as a stepping stone to get to where I'm going to be...time will tell.

I believe that the Sport Pilot rating is misunderstood by many (if not most) private pilots. Don't worry about the naysayers FloridaPilots; I hope to see you in your M20J very soon!

For me pursuing the Sport Pilot certificate on my way to becoming a Private and then Instrument rated pilot worked very well. As others have said you simply want to be sure that as much of your flight time is applicable to the PPL rating.

The upsides are:

1) Going for the Sport Pilot rating gives you a more palpable goal. In less than four months (it took me 36 hours) I had a "license to fly" and could go rent a plane anytime I wanted. I could fly my wife, friends, or family anywhere within the range of a 120 knot plane.

2) I could log cross-country time with a passenger while working on my PPL.

3) I learned to fly a "stick" as opposed to a C150/C172. Flying a stick is AWESOME!

Four more months after getting my Sport Pilot certificate I'd passed my PPL (with 60 hours total time logged) and was checked out in the Arrow and working towards my Instrument Rating. Finished that after partnering in an E for a year and then purchasing my J. Now my wife and canine-son fly all over the country logging about 175 hours a year.

No regrets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

The 120 knot and one passenger limitations are also pretty limiting, but it is certainly a great start. To the OP, thanks for the information about the sport pilot certification. It came along after I was already licensed, so I have never explored it. Good luck!

Jim

I really didn't know about it until my CFI told me. Can't wait to follow in @cnoe shoes!

• Like 1

CNOE, four posts are only visible to you...

The biggest difference of the shorter courses is the X-country planning and navigating, night, weather and other things you want to have related to X-country flying.

Flying to the islands may take some thinking.

Being a new pilot is full of things like flying into clouds accidentally.  Or flying into bad weather accidentally.

Having a good instructor helps.

Getting experience helps.

have you gotten started already?

its not what you start that counts.  It's what you finish... (from some great athlete, I'm sure...)

Get started!

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, FloridaPilots said:

*Cannot go faster than 120 knots.*

Today was fun. There is a front blowing in.   Went up to 4500.  Was doing a serious 200 knots ground speed.   Things were going so fast that I called up 15 miles up from the class D.  They said call in at 5 miles which was like a couple minutes later.  The Base to final was  a weird point at the runway and let the wind shove you down to final.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, carusoam said:

CNOE, four posts are only visible to you...

The biggest difference of the shorter courses is the X-country planning and navigating, night, weather and other things you want to have related to X-country flying.

Flying to the islands may take some thinking.

Being a new pilot is full of things like flying into clouds accidentally.  Or flying into bad weather accidentally.

Having a good instructor helps.

Getting experience helps.

have you gotten started already?

its not what you start that counts.  It's what you finish... (from some great athlete, I'm sure...)

Get started!

Best regards,

-a-

Good morning,

I'm reading a book called Stick and Rudder it was recommended by my CFI. After Sun and Fun then we will get started, probably that weekend!

7 hours ago, Yetti said:

Today was fun. There is a front blowing in.   Went up to 4500.  Was doing a serious 200 knots ground speed.   Things were going so fast that I called up 15 miles up from the class D.  They said call in at 5 miles which was like a couple minutes later.  The Base to final was  a weird point at the runway and let the wind shove you down to final.

That is awesome! Can't wait to do that!

5 hours ago, FloridaPilots said:

That is awesome! Can't wait to do that!

There is an important concept in aviation that you'll learn about called "staying ahead of the airplane". Flying a Mooney, particularly in IMC, requires mastery of this.

As the speed of your steed increases so does the necessary skill level.

I can't even imagine what it's like to occupy the cockpit of a SR-71 (or any fighter for that matter). Still I can dream.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cnoe said:

I can't even imagine what it's like to occupy the cockpit of a SR-71 (or any fighter for that matter). Still I can dream.

You've never been lost until you've been lost at Mach 3.

(Paul F. Crickmore -test pilot)
  • Like 3

Fact from Jr. High report.  The SR-71 can map 80,000 Square miles in an hour.  The same time it takes to fly from California to Florida.  During speed trials it took 3 Western size states to turn it around.   All done with 1950s, 1960s technology

42 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Fact from Jr. High report.  The SR-71 can map 80,000 Square miles in an hour.  The same time it takes to fly from California to Florida.  During speed trials it took 3 Western size states to turn it around.   All done with 1950s, 1960s technology

Yeah, though I fly through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I am at 80,000 feet and climbing!

--painted on the wall of the ready room of an SR-71 squadron [Kadena maybe?]

5 hours ago, cnoe said:

There is an important concept in aviation that you'll learn about called "staying ahead of the airplane". Flying a Mooney, particularly in IMC, requires mastery of this.

As the speed of your steed increases so does the necessary skill level.

My favorite airplane growing up. Still can't be beat in speed from an airplane that takes off from the ground.

2 hours ago, FloridaPilots said:

Stick and Rudder is a great book, I'm halfway through and I can't put it down. Really good starter book for new pilots. I would recommend!

It's a great book for all pilots. Need to reread it soon.

17 hours ago, FloridaPilots said:

I'm reading a book called Stick and Rudder it was recommended by my CFI. After Sun and Fun then we will get started, probably that weekend!

The book that completely changed the way I view flight. You are either a natural or you are not. If the latter, subscription to what is outlined in S&R will make you one.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Okay Guys and Gals,

Lesson 1 out of the way. First time in a single engine airplane taking lessons. So I have 1 hour in my log book..(Hooray!!).  I did say I was going to you tube it and I'm in the process of doing it now. I'm just waiting for the videos to load and when done I will post the link. It was a nice day out, not much wind and I have to admit learning how to fly is so far the most exhilarating thing that I have ever done in my life. I will keep you guys posted as time permits.

Edited by FloridaPilots
  • Like 1

I think your approach to flight lessons is excellent. I much prefer an older, more seasoned, flight instructor with his own airplane. Rather than a flight school with set curriculum, and a revolving door of fresh young CFI's. 

Don't be in a hurry, but enjoy the journey. I think back on my flight lessons as some of the most enjoyable flying I've ever done.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2017 at 8:27 AM, gsxrpilot said:

I think your approach to flight lessons is excellent. I much prefer an older, more seasoned, flight instructor with his own airplane. Rather than a flight school with set curriculum, and a revolving door of fresh young CFI's. 

Don't be in a hurry, but enjoy the journey. I think back on my flight lessons as some of the most enjoyable flying I've ever done.

Thank you,

I can't say enough positive things about Bill, even when I'm not flying I like to hang out with him at the hangar. I always learn something new about flying I never learned before. (IMO....entirely subjective) Bill has been flying since he was 15 he has over 50 years of flying best to learn from someone who has flown that long consistently and lived to tell about it. Also his prices are totally reasonable lower than any flight school I could find. I'm totally happy with my choice and I'm sure I will have more than one instructor as I fly faster, more complex machines.  Can't wait to get into a Mooney, they have a ramp presence that can't be beat (Never been flying in one only sat in one at Sun and Fun) but in the meantime I have to build a flying foundation that is going to make myself a safe and competent pilot, my family depends on it!

So just an update from last weekend. I'm having a difficult time with ground references and "S" turns.  The wind was beating us up pretty badly (As a beginner that is probably not saying much 30 knot winds) and I had trouble turning on target. My CFI is tough but I will make it through no matter what!

On 4/3/2017 at 5:11 PM, FloridaPilots said:

He does have a light sport.  The plane that I will learn in is a Champ. He also owns a Cessna 172 and a Ercoupe (I think that is how it's typed out). He told me that once you learn how to fly then you can fly a Cessna.  The Champ, (I got in today) doesn't have that many instruments. I will go up after Sun and Fun that weekend (22nd and 23rd). Going to have a lot of seminar time this coming weekend at Sun and Fun which I'm excited about. Hopefully I might run into one of you Mooneymen! I'm going to look for a J and ask the owner if I can sit in one. Never been in one!!

No better ,more economical bird than a champ...it's trained a lot of ppl long before there was such a thing as sport pilot license.I bet to make the weight limitation this one has no electrical system and you will learn the lost art of hand propping!Persoanally I think you are in a great spot ,none cheaper but as others have said..renegotiate the total fee for the ppl!Either way you will learn just what 65/85 hp can do and what the rudder pedals are for..good luck

• Like 1

At our local ultralight field ,there's a champ and one of the guys was giving his teenage daughter (you know the type,cell phone permenently glued to her ear) a plane ride .Anyway  the dad gets out to take a pee and doesn't want to handprop again so he tells the daughter "don't touch a thing"and off he goes.Shes talking a mile a minute and waving her hands arround as she talks.(you all know what's coming next!)She managed to hit the side mounted throttle ,and away she goes!We are heard her screaming above the roar of that mighty 85 horses!She never gets airborne though cause the aeronca heads straight for a little tree next to the float pond ,splinters the prop ,caves a wing in and stops short of the water.That was her last airplane ride.