I have the MOONEY BUG!

Good morning,

I went to an EAA event on Saturday for the first time at Manatee airport here in Florida (48X) it's a grass strip, I had a great time.  Someone had a Mooney on display and I was automatically drawn to it over the others because I would like to fly myself and my wife around the states and beyond.  I was automatically inspired to learn how to fly so I can purchase a Mooney in the future, (2018). I don't have much experience and I'm just starting out, (Many intro flights in the past). What I have on my side is I like to read a lot and I have read a ton of airplane books. Long story short I met up with a CFI at the airport and paid for my lessons to go up with him. He told me to get my Sport Pilot license first which is what I'm going to do and then get the PPL. So here is the plan:

#1. Obtain Sport Pilot License.

#2. Once you have your Sport work on the PPL in a retractable gear airplane (Piper Arrow at Tampa Bay Aviation).

#3. Look for Hangar space, (Preferably at 48X).

#4. Purchase a Mooney J 201

What do you guys think? Any helpful Feedback would be appreciated! I'm here to stay and learn of all things MOONEY!!

Thanks,

Roshard

• Like 1

My conversations with myself went like this:

Powered parachutes look like fun and they are safe.

I should do a ride and get a license

Oh they don't work well in winds over 10 knots.  Texas has lots of winds over 10 knots

I should get a sport license

Lots of restrictions and I don't fit in the planes, what's the point?

Final thought and successful path: "Get a PPL it is not that much more work"

If you are a self starter get the ground school from sportys or King.   I did the Sportys.  Quote from the instructor "I wish all my students were as prepared as you are"

If you think you may have an issue with the medical.  Just go ahead and get that too.

• Like 1

Just now, bluehighwayflyer said:

Welcome!   What is the advantage of pursuing the Sport Pilot certificate first? Why not just cut to the chase and pursue your PPL from the beginning if that is your end game?  

Jim

I was going to say the same thing.  Never did it myself, but I've read that it doesn't save as much time since most people have to go past the minimums anyway.

Roshard, welcome.  You're certainly looking at the right airplane (I'm biased of course), but question the logic behind getting a Sport certificate first.  Why not continue on and focus that training and experience toward the Private certificate, and use that to build experience?  Other instructors (several exceptional Mooney-specific instructors and consultants) will hopefully be along shortly to offer guidance here, but I think you may be missing a valuable step.  Following your Private, I strongly suggest following with an Instrument rating, and then think about an airplane purchase.  There will always be a Mooney to fit your mission, so be patient and take some time to learn before jumping in to the deep end of the pool.

There are many ways to slice this, but this is a good approach (pun intended) that has worked for many.  Train well, and fly safe.  Welcome again.

Regards, Steve

Personally, I wouldn't waste your time with the sport license. I feel it'd cost you more in dollars and time in the long run. I know the cheapest LSA in my area ran $50/hr more. At that delta your 20 hours cost you almost as much as the 40 you need for PPL. You would also need 2 checkrides, 2 sittings for the written exam, and to learn 2 different rule sets.

Best of luck in your journey!

• Like 2

I would go directly for the PPL in a 172 and start looking for a hanger and plane as soon as you are half way done (past solo). Switch to a complex aircraft as soon as you finish and keep flying as much as possible until you find a plane. As some MS members to give you a ride after your PPL is finished or just before your check ride to make sure it fits your mission.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard, Roshard.

Set some goals and execute them...

adjust them as needed...

execute some more...

Mooneys make great travel machines.  Speed and efficiency, go Mooney!

Did you run into Alex with the Mooney at the EAA event? (Just guessing)   https://mooneyspace.com/profile/13319-raptor05121/

Did you know that there is a Florida Mooney group that hosts a monthly lunch meeting.  Look this one up. Meet some outgoing Mooney pilots in your area.

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

I appreciate all that responded!

I sat down with the instructor and he told me to pursue the sport first because it will make you a better pilot. I'm going to learn in a tail dragger because he said that your landings will be much more accurate and you have to fly the plane all the way to the ground. I respect him, he has flown longer than I have been born 45+ years. He charges 135/hr for everything, plane, fuel and instructor. I did some research and it's a really good deal. Not only that it's down the block from my house.  I tried to think through everything with my limited knowledge I wanted to go the PPL route first but he said no. So I paid in full for the sport, even if it takes me longer I am happy I get to fly which I'm nervous and excited at the same time....if that makes any sense.

PS I just figured out how to use the settings and updated my bio.

Thanks!

22 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard, Roshard.

Set some goals and execute them...

adjust them as needed...

execute some more...

Mooneys make great travel machines.  Speed and efficiency, go Mooney!

Did you run into Alex with the Mooney at the EAA event? (Just guessing)   https://mooneyspace.com/profile/13319-raptor05121/

Did you know that there is a Florida Mooney group that hosts a monthly lunch meeting.  Look this one up. Meet some outgoing Mooney pilots in your area.

Best regards,

-a-

I didn't meet the owner of the Mooney I believe it was a C model

7 minutes ago, FloridaPilots said:

I appreciate all that responded!

I sat down with the instructor and he told me to pursue the sport first because it will make you a better pilot. I'm going to learn in a tail dragger because he said that your landings will be much more accurate and you have to fly the plane all the way to the ground. I respect him, he has flown longer than I have been born 45+ years. He charges 135/hr for everything, plane, fuel and instructor. I did some research and it's a really good deal. Not only that it's down the block from my house.  I tried to think through everything with my limited knowledge I wanted to go the PPL route first but he said no. So I paid in full for the sport, even if it takes me longer I am happy I get to fly which I'm nervous and excited at the same time....if that makes any sense.

PS I just figured out how to use the settings and updated my bio.

Thanks!

I feel you're being taken for a ride. Am I reading correctly that you paid for the whole sport ticket up front with this gentleman? $135/hr is a good price for all included.

It is possible he is not a CFI and cannot give your PPL, which is the reason for suggesting you get your sport first. This is a big deal because it means your dual time with him will not count towards your PPL and you will have to repeat it all. If you have his name you can confirm his license status on the FAA's website.

That said, he's correct tailwheel will make you a better pilot. I would ask him to clarify how a 20 hour license with no night privileges is going to make you better than the one requiring 40 that allows you to fly pretty much anything with 3 fixed wheels whenever the clouds are at bay.

• Like 2

Absolutely nothing wrong with getting you PPL in a tail dragger in fact it is a good thing but as others have said go directly to the PPL and skip the light sport.

1. Make sure you have the $7k sitting in the bank ready for your flying lessons. $125/hr plane (40 hours) $50 per hour CFI (20 hours) this is $6k and you will probably need more than the minimum 40 hours and that is typical I had 45 or 48 hours when I earned my PPL.
  2. Set a reasonable time goal to get you PPL 6 months is very reasonable.  I did mine in 5 months while working part time and going full time to college.  If you go over a month or two no big problem but you set a goal to achieve.
  3. Clear your schedule of soccer games for the kids, boy scouts, weddings, XYZ organizations whatever and make going flying a routine and a can't miss item on you schedule.
  4. Start the book work now before you ever start flying.  The flying is the fun part the book work is the PIA part.  The FAA has plenty of manuals free of charge you just down load them for the FAA site.       https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/airplane_handbook/
  5. Lots of good information here to look through  https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/
  6. Learn where to find the answers.  FAA web site, FARs, CFIs other pilots etc.
  7. Ask questions here and ask other pilots you meet not every answer will be right.
  8. There is a wonderful search feature the questions most likely has been asked before.
  9. Once you have you PPL rent some planes and fly them.  Fly with others in different planes.  Figure out what you want to use your newly acquired skill and knowledge for and then get the airplane that fits that mission.

Good luck and keep up posted on your progress.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, smwash02 said:

...$135/hr is a good price for all included...

It is possible he is not a CFI and cannot give your PPL, which is the reason for suggesting you get your sport first. This is a big deal because it means your dual time with him will not count towards your PPL and you will have to repeat it all. If you have his name you can confirm his license status on the FAA's website.

That said, he's correct tailwheel will make you a better pilot. I would ask him to clarify how a 20 hour license with no night privileges is going to make you better than the one requiring 40 that allows you to fly pretty much anything with 3 fixed wheels whenever the clouds are at bay.

100% agree with the above. If dual time does not count, thats a lot of money wasted. Well, not wasted, any extra flying is good experience, but if its cost efficiency you want, you might be doing a lot of it over once you want a PPL. What kind of taildragger will you be training in?

Edited by M20FanJesse

Thoughts on learning in a tail dragger...

1) getting off topic...

2) there are a lot of things to learn.

3) stay focused....

4) you can learn in a high powered retractable too...

5) a glider will make you a better pilot...

6) a twin will teach you more...

7) stay focused.

8) If you don't stay focused on your goal you won't get there...

9) If you try to learn all the ways of flying planes... glider, tail dragger, etc... you aren't staying on topic.

10) It is like learning to drive.  Learning in a high powered car with a manual transmission may not be the best for training.

Lastly...

11) if you are short on time or money it will be important to stay focused..! Pick the goal of being a pilot, then expand on that.

12) if you are long on dough and are retired (congratulations!) explore being a better pilot.

13) learning to fly in a tail dragger sounds really good.  Cessna invented the 150/152 for a reason. Ease of training compared to the cub.  Piper quickly left the cub behind and hasn't looked back in 50 years.

Keep asking questions.  

There are a few new pilots here that wrote about their experience as they were going through it.... find the threads written by Richard and Sam Husky  they have screen names that I can't remember.  They wrote so much, you'll find it just by looking...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FloridaPilots said:

If he guarantees your Sport License for the money, then it'll probably be even money to get up to the PPL (national average is 60-70 hours).

Even if not, and if you can't get your money back, then go, have fun, and learn how to fly!  If you "what if" too much it'll detract from the experience.  Worst case is you can chock this up to being a part of your Aviation education.

It won't  be wasted money.  It may not be the most efficient use of the cash, but NOT a waste.

And being only down the block from your house is worth a lot.  It'll help keep you on track, motivated, and training.  Even just hanging around your flight school can be beneficial to a beginning pilot.

Keep us posted and good luck.

• Like 1

I had the Mooney bug for 20 years, and finally took care of it this year. The only suggestion I can give is based on my experience getting my PPL which took over two years and a bit over 75 hrs. I was active duty Air Force with lots of time away from home.

Don't even star unless you have the time and the money to complete your PPL training. It will be a waste of time and money if you do.

Sorry for the negativity

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smwash02 said:

I feel you're being taken for a ride. Am I reading correctly that you paid for the whole sport ticket up front with this gentleman? $135/hr is a good price for all included.

Hello,

He told me that he was a CFI. He has about 3 planes parked at the airport with hangars. I don't think he is going anywhere, he is also known all around the airport and has been a local CFI for over 20 years. I asked the Airport manager about him first before approaching him. I'm pretty sure he is going to deliver on his promise without me feeling cheated. I also asked pilots at the airport about him and some have gotten their license, (PPL) from him.

If I have to take another 40 hours for the PPL I will be okay with it, the extra flight time will benefit me in the long run. I will not go with my flight instructor now for the PPL but will change it up and I will pursue learning in an arrow at Tampa Bay Aviation. Unless I can learn in a Mooney after the sport.

6 hours ago, thomas1142 said:

I had the Mooney bug for 20 years, and finally took care of it this year. The only suggestion I can give is based on my experience getting my PPL which took over two years and a bit over 75 hrs. I was active duty Air Force with lots of time away from home.

Don't even star unless you have the time and the money to complete your PPL training. It will be a waste of time and money if you do.

Sorry for the negativity

I just paid for the full course and once done I will pay for the PPL.  I have the time on weekends both days.

6 hours ago, gsengle said:

Make sure the instructor is a CFI and not just a sport pilot instructor or your hours won't count towards your ppl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How can you verify this?

Update:

Just got my 3rd class medical. I didn't want to go the drivers license route with the sport pilot and then 3rd class with the PPL so I got that first. so I have a temporary one and I also ffilled out the form with my CFI for the student cert.  Things are rolling.

I also got the a book called stick and rudder which my CFI told me to read this first. Going to tackle that while my king courses come in the mail.

Hopefully I get my hours in before the weather hits, (Rainy season)!

• Like 2

Excellent advice from your instructor regarding Stick and Rudder. A very good sign that you are in good hands, although I still don't understand the Sport Pilot foreplay he is putting you through. Good luck and thanks for letting us follow along. 
Jim

Probably because the instructor owns the light sport

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk