Avionics Master - Klixon

Typically the avionics master in our vintage planes, are a toggle switch mounted in some random location on the panel. In my K, there is a nice row of piano keys (klixon) switches for everything except the avionics master. Now that the panel is out, and we're re-wiring everything, I thought it'd be nice to add the Avionics master to the row of piano keys. But evidently the avionics master is on a relay. The avionics shop wants to remove the relay but that will require a 50 amp breaker switch. And we can't find a switch that will carry that load other than a toggle switch. 

Has anyone run into this before? Does anyone have any advice for making the avionics switch match the rest of the switches?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Typically the avionics master in our vintage planes, are a toggle switch mounted in some random location on the panel. In my K, there is a nice row of piano keys (klixon) switches for everything except the avionics master. Now that the panel is out, and we're re-wiring everything, I thought it'd be nice to add the Avionics master to the row of piano keys. But evidently the avionics master is on a relay. The avionics shop wants to remove the relay but that will require a 50 amp breaker switch. And we can't find a switch that will carry that load other than a toggle switch. 

Has anyone run into this before? Does anyone have any advice for making the avionics switch match the rest of the switches?

Paul I went through this conversation in the past. I was told the bus bar couldn't handle that much amperage and the relay was required. Also, the top amperage Klixon makes is 35 amps. Not sure that is enough. http://www.sensata.com/klixon/circuit-breaker-aircraft-20tc.htm

Either way, I have a Klixon style rocker connected to a relay. It is to the right of the red master.

DSCF0169.thumb.jpg.fcd3b110a606b636531d6d7c69f3aaf0.jpg

I'd be curious to know what their aversion is to the relay is. Given they can't find one for you, I'd hate to be in the position it breaks on the road and have to source another.

An option for you would be to have two rows each powered by a 35A rocker.

Take a look at what the long Bodies are using...  better than having Piper parts....:)

Get a feel for the strategy they use for powering the panel.  What is normally open and what is normally closed.

something like this...

1) main power on, opens the Panel power relay.

2) panel power on, closes the panel power relay.

3) loss of main power, panel power stays on..?

Somewhere in here is a way to avoid a switch problem that could knock out your entire panel.

Hope that is helpful.

Best regard,

-a-

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Typically the avionics master in our vintage planes, are a toggle switch mounted in some random location on the panel. In my K, there is a nice row of piano keys (klixon) switches for everything except the avionics master.

Your panel doesn't have a slot for two switches side-by-side (master and avionics master)? I just assumed they all did like my '78J.

58e14106c79b1_IMG_6049(2).thumb.JPG.9c6be365dcb97065c32a03c4ba45e9d8.JPG