Introduction

MooniacMD

Hello ladies and gents! 

I am new to MS and believe my first post should be an introduction. Ive lurked around the forum for sometime now and must say MS is a unique forum that has knowledgable, approachable, and supportive folks. I am a recent Medical School graduate (luckily without the student debt cloud hanging over my head!) and will be beginning residency in July. I currently reside in South Florida but will be making a move to South Atlanta in a few months time. 

Unfortunately, rental planes are on the scarce side in the area I will be living for the next 3 years which makes me ponder about ownership/partnership. Maybe one day my dream will become a reality! 

Hope everyone enjoys whats left of their weekend! 

- Paul

• Like 1

Hello and welcome to the M space. Congrats on your education. You might tell us more about your flying experience if any and what you hope for as to your aviation dreams and desires. Good luck with your residency.

Welcome aboard, Doc! We have members all over Atlanta and the outer burbs. Some of us are  ore "outer" than others, I'm about 40 Mooney minutes south on 85. Congrats on finishing up school, even more for doing it without mortgaging your soul. 

Keep us posted on where you end up. Seems like I always see traffic at Coweta County; closer in there's Falcon Field, where I visit Aircraft Spruce for supplies, Griffin, etc. Plenty of opportunities for meet ups, breakfast / lunch runs, etc. There are also some very active EAA chapters in the area. 

Hope to see you around!

Edited by Hank

Thanks for the welcome guys! I'm fairly new to the pilot scene with a little over 100 hours under my belt and about 15 short/teasing mooney hours thrown in there. Nothing clears my mind better than some left seat therapy, a feeling most of you can relate to. When ordinary people are stressed they run to the gym (or the fridge), but we run to the airport :). IFR is definitely in the near future for me as is a short body M20 (one can certainly dream!). I am going to be living in Macon and working at Mercer (if you're familiar). I will definitely keep nosing around MS in order to find a meet up, seems like a nice way to spend the day!
I will likely give it about 6 months - 1 year of residency before I move forward with searching for the ever elusive perfect bird - to get a better idea of time and money that can be invested in flying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Paul,

I'm right down the road from you in Warner Robins.  My plane is based at Perry (KPXE).  I graduated from the Medical College of Georgia School of Dentistry in '95 and did a periodontics residency until '98.  My practice is also in Warner Robins.  If you want to go up anytime, just get in touch with me.

Rob

Paul, I am a second year cardiac surgery resident in Indiana.  Just bought an M20E this year.  It really opens doors to get back home to see friends and family given the small amount of free time we have.  Good luck!

Josh

Wow, thank you for the very kind offer Ron! Hopefully when I get up there and settle in I can take you up on that offer.

Caruso, thank you for the welcome. I must say that I like your train of thought! 

Josh, Congrats on the new purchase, she's a beauty! My wife (also starting IM residency with me at the same program) will be pursuing a Cardiology fellowship. Your comment has a lot of meaning to me as 1 of my major concerns was time spent flying, guess it comes down to anything else one loves, must make time. Thank you and congrats on nearly finishing your 2nd year! 

Wow, thank you for the very kind offer Ron! Hopefully when I get up there and settle in I can take you up on that offer.
Caruso, thank you for the welcome. I must say that I like your train of thought! 
Josh, Congrats on the new purchase, she's a beauty! My wife (also starting IM residency with me at the same program) will be pursuing a Cardiology fellowship. Your comment has a lot of meaning to me as 1 of my major concerns was time spent flying, guess it comes down to anything else one loves, must make time. Thank you and congrats on nearly finishing your 2nd year! 

Probably not the answer you want to hear, but with 100 hours and no instrument rating I think it's unlikely that you'll be able to do your residency and stay current in a high performance airplane. Personally, I had over 400 hours and a multiengine instrument rating before I started my residency and ended up taking 5 years off because I didn't think I would be safe to fly given all the time constraints I had as a resident. Just like in medicine, just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD (of course if you're going into derm, then you should have plenty of time!).

I flew 200 hours last year as a surgical intern

Wow! I guess work hour restrictions have certainly made an impact in terms of quality of life. As an intern on the surgery service I worked close to 100 hours a week and barely had enough time to see my wife or pick up the right dog from "doggie daycare" (you bring home the wrong dog ONE TIME and you never stop hearing about it...)

I would still argue that getting 200 hours to fly as a surgical intern is the exception rather than the rule, but kudos to you for making time for your passion!

• Like 1

Eat,drink,sleep,work,fly,repeat?  It really helps if you live near all three.

Keep up the good work, people.

100 hour weeks can wear you down.

Be aware of of what distractions are and how they work... you must cover this a lot at work.

Distractions apply to all brain driven humans.

Executing Checklists is good. Mooney pilots use many checklists. Gumps near and in the traffic pattern is one of them.

Now about that checklist for bringing doggy home...:)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gdaub said:

Paul: Welcome to Middle Georgia. I live on 5A2 in Warner Robins and have an up dated short body I have owned for 30 plus years. Will be glad to share my experiences with you. 

Gene Daub

Hey Gene,

welcome to Mooneyspace.  I used to take lessons in the 172 that was hangared behind your house. 

39 minutes ago, Kris_Adams said:

Welcome Paul.  I'm moving to Griffin GA (6a2) in about a month.  We'll all have to meet up somewhere!!

I met up with Hank and Mooneymite at Griffin last summer.  We drove to the Barnstormer's Grill for lunch.  It was a lot of fun.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard to Gene!

30 years of ownership of the same M20C! Wow.

we have a few people around here updating their M20Cs for the long haul.

Feel free to post pictures.  Watch all the remarks that come in. See how far away they come from.

Best regards,

-a-

10 hours ago, Gdaub said:

Paul: Welcome to Middle Georgia. I live on 5A2 in Warner Robins and have an up dated short body I have owned for 30 plus years. Will be glad to share my experiences with you. 

Gene Daub

Gene, Thank you for the welcome. I would love to chat sometime, theres always more to learn! 30 years, she must be one precious lady!

3 hours ago, Kris_Adams said:

Welcome Paul.  I'm moving to Griffin GA (6a2) in about a month.  We'll all have to meet up somewhere!!

Kris, Id love to meet up with y'all! Keep me posted on any plans of a meet up. Good luck to you with the moving process, not a pleasant process to say the least. 

• Like 1