Garmin to Avidyne:)

He has an almost completely same install as mine scheduled for the middle of July. He could start in mine now but I want to wait for him to do the other one so he isn't figuring out the bugs on mine. I have a trip planned to Seattle July 19-25. He will start the 31st and should be done the 1st. He has some work to do on a plane next to me. Not sure if he will do that before or after me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

The Avidyne adsb install is finished and I COULDN'T be happier at this point. I'll be flying down the Sacramento tomorrow night then on to the LASAR fly in so I'll get a good opportunity to play with the new toys. I did decide to go with the AXP322 remote transponder and got to make my first panel cover. And we installed the Skytrax100 to get adsb in. After some setting that needed to get right it's worked perfect. I updated the IFD440 to 10.2 and now I get to have the IFD100 on the pilots yoke and foreflight on the copilots yoke getting Wx and traffic to back everything up. After a slight hiccup I figured out how to transfer the flight plans between each other. Fun times getting to do a large part of the install from taking the interior out, running the wire harness, to mounting everything and getting a new true speed ASI and a new altimeter. Then putting everything back together. I'm looking forward to what the next project will be.
cd00e87e60f66091c150d28e8645e496.jpgafc8f3ecc5d42dfde97c2633c413b366.jpg

8e61128ab1bc40e7586141d71550d9f2.jpg8daaa3523edd3bd0000e0214c532a0da.jpg56ae5461063a7d650b4b0174725a332b.jpg95bd5cc14e2fa2f34a65f06e899671f7.jpg2d544d70a5e1aa78af26aeed600d2b5e.jpgf1798204f05ac2db9836e493505ec071.jpg18febd4582bb6116f63a6e198981b977.jpgf4c99ee4b426d616474bcb3d58a5c5b0.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

The Avidyne adsb install is finished and I COULDN'T be happier at this point. I'll be flying down the Sacramento tomorrow night then on to the LASAR fly in so I'll get a good opportunity to play with the new toys. I did decide to go with the AXP322 remote transponder and got to make my first panel cover. And we installed the Skytrax100 to get adsb in. After some setting that needed to get right it's worked perfect. I updated the IFD440 to 10.2 and now I get to have the IFD100 on the pilots yoke and foreflight on the copilots yoke getting Wx and traffic to back everything up. After a slight hiccup I figured out how to transfer the flight plans between each other. Fun times getting to do a large part of the install from taking the interior out, running the wire harness, to mounting everything and getting a new true speed ASI and a new altimeter. Then putting everything back together. I'm looking forward to what the next project will be.

I think you need one more iPad :)

Or at least your iPhone mounted on the compass post         http://www.hendricksmfg.com/gpsmount.html

• Like 1

Glad you like the new setup. Do you have a stratus 2 for a backup AI?  Or is a G5 in your future?

I do have a Stratus 2, but I'll be selling it since foreflight gets its info from the IFD440. I'm not a fan of the G5. I'll hold out for the Bendix King KI-300 then I can get rid of my vacuum system as well.

5 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

I do have a Stratus 2, but I'll be selling it since foreflight gets its info from the IFD440. I'm not a fan of the G5. I'll hold out for the Bendix King KI-300 then I can get rid of my vacuum system as well.

Your STEC autopilot is rate based and gets it's info from the turn coordinator, so you can use any electric Attitude Indicator to replace your vacuum AI. There are a lot of less expensive choices than the KI300. People putting in G-5's are pulling out Midcontinent Lifesaver Attitude indicators and RC Allen 2600's, which would serve the purpose.

The Avidyne- how is the database updated?  I downloaded the iPad demo app and it's asking for a Jepp subscription number.  Does the actual unit run on a Jepp subscription?  If so- this is cheaper than Garmin's database subscription, correct?

The Avidyne- how is the database updated?  I downloaded the iPad demo app and it's asking for a Jepp subscription number.  Does the actual unit run on a Jepp subscription?  If so- this is cheaper than Garmin's database subscription, correct?

The demo and the IFD100 app uses the jepp subscription to be able to see any map data. The IFD440/540 has a VFR map installed but to get the ifr data you get it from jepp. You download it onto a USB drive and plug it into the unit.

• Like 1

Your STEC autopilot is rate based and gets it's info from the turn coordinator, so you can use any electric Attitude Indicator to replace your vacuum AI. There are a lot of less expensive choices than the KI300. People putting in G-5's are pulling out Midcontinent Lifesaver Attitude indicators and RC Allen 2600's, which would serve the purpose.

Is that what you would suggest installing? I do like the added info the ki300 gives and I don't have to install an aspen. I would love to install one but don't want to spend the money when the better half has a bun in the oven.....

24 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

Is that what you would suggest installing? I do like the added info the ki300 gives and I don't have to install an aspen. I would love to install one but don't want to spend the money when the better half has a bun in the oven.....

The KI300 is a Sandia Quattro with A/P outputs. If you like the extra info get a Sandia Quattro for $2000 less.

59a0af1792901_ScreenShot2017-08-25at6_12_22PM.thumb.png.88843388a600d29a69b420df0ad3e6ad.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been flying with the IFD100 for about a month now and love it. I do have a question. What are these gray/green lines signifying? I'm guessing it is a mesh fault where it has a hiccup on the map data but some times it's lines like this and sometimes it's larger portions of the map. And what is causing it. It would be great that it means the Mooney is flying so fast it has trouble keeping up with it:)

a1558351c01dbef91f6eddbad3c197b2.jpg

I'm starting to make peace with my IFD550, but I must say the Pilots Guide leaves a lot to be desired. There is an awful lot of stuff on the screen that I can't find anywhere in the Pilots Guide. I just have to figure it out....

BTW how do you search a PDF for green diagonal bars with black borders?

I just sent Avidyne an email. Hopefully they are not to busy after being shut down due the the storm. Mr. Musgrave is normally pretty fast getting back to me. The lines are not there for more than a moment at a time and are different sizes or areas on the map. And if it's the weather having issues that could make sense why it's different shapes at times.@n201mkturbo, have you noticed them as well?

18 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

I just sent Avidyne an email. Hopefully they are not to busy after being shut down due the the storm. Mr. Musgrave is normally pretty fast getting back to me. The lines are not there for more than a moment at a time and are different sizes or areas on the map. And if it's the weather having issues that could make sense why it's different shapes at times.@n201mkturbo, have you noticed them as well?

I think I had them covering the whole screen at one time. That was before I had the whole Skytrax configuration correct.

27 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

it may be this:

Diagonal stripes show the Datalink radar data no coverage area.

In normal operation the boundary follows the outline of the

Continental United States (CONUS). If, however, Datalink radar is

unavailable in a particular area for any reason, hatched lines

appear in that area. In the mountains and off the coast, hatched

lines may represent no coverage below 10,000 feet. If there are

radar returns in that region above 10,000 feet, the returns will be

displayed as “islands of precipitation” surrounded by the hatched

lines.

• Like 1

it may be this:

Diagonal stripes show the Datalink radar data no coverage area.

In normal operation the boundary follows the outline of the

Continental United States (CONUS). If, however, Datalink radar is

unavailable in a particular area for any reason, hatched lines

appear in that area. In the mountains and off the coast, hatched

lines may represent no coverage below 10,000 feet. If there are

radar returns in that region above 10,000 feet, the returns will be

displayed as “islands of precipitation” surrounded by the hatched

lines.

I heard back from Avidyne and it is the 100 showing it can not verify the data it is receiving is correct. So it could be weather, terrain, or pretty much anything. And that's why it goes away just about as fast. Because the 440 or the Skytrax100 updates the date to it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...