Garmin to Avidyne:)

My plane is still in the avionics shop so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. But I'm wondering if I'll be using FF much with the IFD100 available. I'm excited to get the plane back and work out this very question.

2 hours ago, jetdriven said:

How do you access foreflight while using IFD100?

15 hours ago, bradp said:

Can the avidyne be hooked up to the new Garmin HSI / DG via the Airinc interface or is there Some sort of paperwork limitation so that the Garmin doesn't play nice ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same concern when I got my G5 AI but now that it's installed and using the 440 for GPS position information I would venture to guess there would be no issues with the HSI version either. When I switch to the HSI page (which you can do on the AI version) I get full functionality out of the needle. My only question that remains on how it would perform using the nav signal from a VOR or ILS.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PeytonM said:

If you've ever flown with the new GTNs, the touch-only option is not all it's cracked up to be, even in light chop. I've watched a friend struggle in VFR doing practice approaches. With the IFD series, you can use either knobs or touch for virtually every function. In addition, Garmin's new operating system requires you to go to the "Home" page for each function.  This seems to be a step backwards from the GNS; it slow things down and makes it more difficult IMHO, but maybe you'd get used to it with practice.

I agree with a lot of what you said, especially converting from a GNS to IFD being a much cheaper option, but I do disagree with you on the above.  I've got just over 100 hours behind the GTN650 now (soon to be upgraded to a GTN750 because I want the bigger screen) and it is night and day compared to the GNS series I used to fly behind .  I've been able to load flight plans and approaches, departure and arrival procedures infinitely faster than my old 430W.  Going back to the home page (same as using the Garmin Pilot app) is not an issue and only adds two clicks, versus scrolling through multitude of different pages on the 430/530.  To me, it is a huge upgrade. 

Using it in light to moderate chop has not been a major source of frustration for me either and you do have the option for using the knobs on the unit if needed.  I've never needed it though.  To be honest, I get more frustrated while trying to use my iPad in light chop than the GTN. 

Not discounting your experience with your friend, just saying I haven't had those same challenges and I fly in the bumps all the time out here in Nevada.

Cheers,

Brian

Using it in light to moderate chop has not been a major source of frustration for me either and you do have the option for using the knobs on the unit if needed.  I've never needed it though.  To be honest, I get more frustrated while trying to use my iPad in light chop than the GTN. 
Not discounting your experience with your friend, just saying I haven't had those same challenges and I fly in the bumps all the time out here in Nevada.
Cheers,
Brian

Brian,
I had to play with my hand position, I ended up gripping the bottom bezel between 2 fingers and using my thumb to select buttons.
I can grip it from the sides like they demonstrate but my fingers aren't as flexible as I like (I should have learn piano when I was a kid).
How do you steady you hand?

7 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

Brian,
I had to play with my hand position, I ended up gripping the bottom bezel between 2 fingers and using my thumb to select buttons.
I can grip it from the sides like they demonstrate but my fingers aren't as flexible as I like (I should have learn piano when I was a kid).
How do you steady you hand?

If it's been bad out, I just grip the bottom hand rail (or whatever they call the finger rest at the bottom of the unit) with my thumb and index finger and then use my middle or pinky finger to tap the screen.  I've got somewhat flexile fingers due to the cartilage being stretched out after numerous dislocations sustained while playing sand volleyball over the years....<_<;)

Cheers,

Brian

On 4/4/2017 at 10:28 AM, bradp said:

Can the avidyne be hooked up to the new Garmin HSI / DG via the Airinc interface or is there Some sort of paperwork limitation so that the Garmin doesn't play nice ?

I took a picture today for you.  GPS signal sourced from one of my IFD440s.

Sorry it came out sideways.

IMG_0643.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

If you have the AXP340 will it show traffic on the ifd100?

All the AXP340 does is provide ADS-B out. You will need an MLB100 (new name Skytrax 100) to bring ADS-B in to the panel and then transfer to the IFD-100.

• Like 2

I'm looking forward to testing this all out when I get my plane out of the Avionics shop. I'll have the IFD 540, AXP322, SkyTrax100, and IFD100.  I'm hoping I can dump my Stratus 2. The SkyTrax100 should feed both the IFD100 and ForeFlight, depending on which one I choose to use.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to testing this all out when I get my plane out of the Avionics shop. I'll have the IFD 540, AXP322, SkyTrax100, and IFD100.  I'm hoping I can dump my Stratus 2. The SkyTrax100 should feed both the IFD100 and ForeFlight, depending on which one I choose to use.

What was the instal cost of the axp 323 and the skytrax? Just trying to compare vs the stratus ESGi.

Just now, xcrmckenna said:

What was the instal cost of the axp 323 and the skytrax? Just trying to compare vs the stratus ESGi.

Good question, it's still in the avionics shop.  But I was quoted $1800 to install both.

Both the AXP322 (remote transponder) and the Skytrax 100, I've had mounted in the tail. That involved removing the interior to run wires from the tail to the panel. Of course, mounting boxes in the tail is much easier than mounting in the panel, but it still probably doesn't even out.

• Like 1

Good question, it's still in the avionics shop.  But I was quoted $1800 to install both.
Both the AXP322 (remote transponder) and the Skytrax 100, I've had mounted in the tail. That involved removing the interior to run wires from the tail to the panel. Of course, mounting boxes in the tail is much easier than mounting in the panel, but it still probably doesn't even out.

I might have to check out more of my options now that I have the 440. I was just going to go easy with the stratus and keep foreflight. But if I can get traffic on the ifd100 that looks beneficial in the long run. Thanks. I was going to shoot you an email but now that I have you on this thread. Is there a setting that I can display the ground speed on the 440 or 540 next to the altitude on the map page? And not have to open the tab page? Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

25 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

I might have to check out more of my options now that I have the 440. I was just going to go easy with the stratus and keep foreflight. But if I can get traffic on the ifd100 that looks beneficial in the long run. Thanks. I was going to shoot you an email but now that I have you on this thread. Is there a setting that I can display the ground speed on the 440 or 540 next to the altitude on the map page? And not have to open the tab page? Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

I've only flown with the IFD 540 exactly twice. And neither flight was more than 20 minutes. So give me a month of flying after I get the plane back out of the shop. :-)

But if I understand you correctly, you can configure what's shown in the "DataBlocks" at the top of the screen.  There two "data blocks", one in the top left corner and one top center. You could have GS in one and AGL in the other. That way they always show when on the Map screen. Again, I might be mis-understanding the question.

• Like 1

I've only flown with the IFD 540 exactly twice. And neither flight was more than 20 minutes. So give me a month of flying after I get the plane back out of the shop. :-)
But if I understand you correctly, you can configure what's shown in the "DataBlocks" at the top of the screen.  There two "data blocks", one in the top left corner and one top center. You could have GS in one and AGL in the other. That way they always show when on the Map screen. Again, I might be mis-understanding the question.

Nope that is what I meant. I was thinking the data blocks was in the tab on the right. I will read up on that section a little better. Thank you

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

Nope that is what I meant. I was thinking the data blocks was in the tab on the right. I will read up on that section a little better. Thank you

You can put whatever you want in those two top blocks- I have ground speed and ETA to destination in mine, but you can set the, for local time, Zulu time, gps altitude, winds, and a bunch of other options: they are user customizable.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2017 at 6:00 AM, Godfather said:

I'm confused...is that the experimental version of the G5?  Just wondering how you got the HSI page on it. 

That's the STC'd version. The HSI is available on the menu page. However, you only get GPS functionality so you can't really track a nav signal so no VOR or ILS.

• Like 1