Garmin to Avidyne:)

On 4/4/2017 at 9:35 AM, jetdriven said:

I called 3 big name avionics shops. They all said they are installing GTN boxes 10:1 against avidyne. And none has ever removed an GTN for an avidyne.  Now dumping a 530 for an iFD540, certainly. You save the 3k in installation cost plus the unit is cheaper and I think it's a leap from the 530. But in the comparison between the gtn750 and the ifd540, buyers choose the 750.  And it's even more expensive. And taws is effectively not an option. And no built in wifi. Etc.  

That does make sense..on new installs and you have the space go with the garmins...it's to thousands of Garmin 530/430 owners that the Avadynes are a huge relief in install costs...I ve heard 50,000 units 

• Like 1

I think Garmin basically f##ked up...if they had designed a modern ,advanced logic processor as a slide in to their so many and successful 430/530 series..I would be on board...instead they build  new units ,requiring total panel rebuilds ....

• Like 3

The easy switch to a great modern gps/comm was one of my biggest decisions. If the 650 had been a plug and play radio it still would have been hard to choose it with everything the Avidyne provides.

http://www.avidyne.com/landing/ifd540/440-650-compare.asp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

The easy switch to a great modern gps/comm was one of my biggest decisions. If the 650 had been a plug and play radio it still would have been hard to choose it with everything the Avidyne provides.

http://www.avidyne.com/landing/ifd540/440-650-compare.asp

And, yet, with all the students I have had and have, not one has an Avidyne unit.  Many have the GTN 750 or 650.  I looked through the comparison chart and some of it is now incorrect, like pinch zooming, after the latest system update to the GTN series.  The Avidyne seems cluttered to me.  Everything discussed as a defect in the comparison has been an absolute non issue with me.  If you have the 750 there are so many other useful things it has, like database Concierge if you have the FS 510, Database syncing, and Tellegence  (if you have the GMA 35c) with over 300 verbal commands that means you don't have to touch the unit to show all pages, have the unit speak to you regarding ETE, ETA, WINDS, ETC, load frequencies for you without looking them up just by saying, for example, "Tune Destination Tower", and on and on.  

Just one happy Garmin customer.

• Like 4

And, yet, with all the students I have had and have, not one has an Avidyne unit.  Many have the GTN 750 or 650.  I looked through the comparison chart and some of it is now incorrect, like pinch zooming, after the latest system update to the GTN series.  The Avidyne seems cluttered to me.  Everything discussed as a defect in the comparison has been an absolute non issue with me.  If you have the 750 there are so many other useful things it has, like database Concierge if you have the FS 510, Database syncing, and Tellegence  (if you have the GMA 35c) with over 300 verbal commands that means you don't have to touch the unit to show all pages, have the unit speak to you regarding ETE, ETA, WINDS, ETC, load frequencies for you without looking them up just by saying, for example, "Tune Destination Tower", and on and on.  
Just one happy Garmin customer.

That's all good if you are comparing the 440 vs the 750. Other than the cost. Because who wouldn't like the 750 over the 440. There are settings to declutter the 440 if that is a problem. But I think not having an unlimited budget and spending the money to install a 440 vs a 650 from an 430w I'm a VERY happy Avidyne customer. And I can put the $8,000 in installation savings to my wedding next year:)

• Like 3

If I was building a panel from scratch... I'd probably be going with the 750. But without major panel surgery, the IFD540 just makes much more sense. Garmin could have easily make the 750 fit in the 530 tray and still had the big screen. Just like the Aspen fits in a single 3" hole. I'd think they'd have sold a lot more of them.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

And I can put the $8,000 in installation savings to my wedding next year:

and just like the purchase price of airplanes, weddings are just the start of the expense :) Kudos for buying the plane before the marriage, it makes for a much happier aluminum mistress/wife relationship

• Like 4

If I was building a panel from scratch... I'd probably be going with the 750. But without major panel surgery, the IFD540 just makes much more sense. Garmin could have easily make the 750 fit in the 530 tray and still had the big screen. Just like the Aspen fits in a single 3" hole. I'd think they'd have sold a lot more of them.

If Garmin had gone the Avidyne route we probably wouldn't hear anything about Avidyne. So it makes me think was Garmin not smart enough to think about the plug in play, or did they NOT want to do it and make us pay more for the installation. If that's what he case I'm really glad I went with the 440. And when I do upgrade my panel I will move the 440 to my second com and add a 550.

• Like 1

I AM though, envious of [mention=7354]donkaye[/mention]'s panel... and the airplane wrapped around it. But I know my limitations. 

Yeah I don't see ever having the budget for that panel:) but very nice to think about it. Do they have a done date on your panel?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

Do they have a done date on your panel?

This Friday or next Friday... hopefully.  I think the panel pieces are going for paint today or tomorrow, then just reassembly when they get back. I think all the wiring is done.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, thinwing said:

That does make sense..on new installs and you have the space go with the garmins...it's to thousands of Garmin 530/430 owners that the Avadynes are a huge relief in install costs...I ve heard 50,000 units 

I don't think it's anywhere near 50k units. I tried to pin Joe Conte down and get him to admit they have shipped 10k units and he wouldn't confirm it. Which means they haven't.  They would be boasting otherwise. 

This Friday or next Friday... hopefully.  I think the panel pieces are going for paint today or tomorrow, then just reassembly when they get back. I think all the wiring is done.

It's terrible waiting this out, isn't it? I'm on week 5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, bradp said:

Paul did the 930 flush mount end up fitting without modification or did you need to fabricate something?

It's an EDM-900 mount and all we did was trim it down. The G5 is almost square and the 900 is rectangle. But yeah, it worked very well. 

I'm really happy with the way it will look with everything flush mounted once the panel gets painted.

3 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

I would like to know how many zip ties were used.:) it looks like it will be really nice!

I got the chance to test out the just installed Garmin G5 in a student's airplane yesterday.  It is a very nice unit.

• Like 1