Garmin to Avidyne:)

Interesting. I have an IFD540 in my plane, and if I start a 3-4 hour flight at full charge in my iPad Mini, I end up at my destination at about 100%, using Wing X Pro. I wonder if the 540 has a greater charging capacity or if Foreflight consumes more resources on the iPAd. Having begun at less than 100% charge, though, I can tell you I won't end up at a higher percentage of charge than I started.

I'm not sure, the manual says it is a 2 amp charger and should charge the ipads. But it just sustained it, at best. I think it went down over the 2.5 hour flight. If I turned the screen brightness down a little and closed all apps it would probably charge a little. I plugged my iPhone to it and and the 440 charged it, I just plugged the iPad into the cigarette lighter plugin. And was good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 440 worked great today. I didn't get into a 1/4 of the things that it does. I was just wanting to get home and mainly used the comm/vor and gps. I asked center s few times how they heard me and I was crystal clear. But I didn't ask when I flew with the 430. I only made it to Redding today but tomorrow I will play with some more things as I finish up the flight home. HOPEFULLY!!!!!!! Like gsxr, already said I can tell it's going to be great having as an addition to the autopilot and ifr flight load!!!!!!

• Like 1

OH NO! Peter Garmin has lost another soul. 

I would be all for the 650 if it was a plug and play like the 440. But hard to beat the bigger screen I believe and the low low install cost. It might hurt the plane if I needed to sell it right away. Because people are staying away from the avidynes till they get a few years on them. But in the long run I think it will be a great unit.

11 hours ago, amillet said:

I bought this after recommended by another MSer.  No static on radios and looks almost like a flush mounted manufactured USB charger when plugged into cigar lighter.

AUKEY CC-S1 Car Charger, Flush Fit Dual Port 4.8A Output for iPhone iPad Samsung & other - Black

That would have been me... and yes, I have a 24v electrical system in my 252. This works great to power my iPad and Stratus2. Nice and flush, and 2.4A in both ports.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, M016576 said:

I bought a dual charge 2.4 amp USB adapter that I plugged into my cigarette lighter... ahem... "accessory port."  It charges my iPad and runs my stratux.  Cost 15 bucks.

I did the same thing and it is also an Aukey like the one shown by Paul.

Just now, Ned Gravel said:

I did the same thing and it is also an Aukey like the one shown by Paul.

Have any of you using this Aukey noted any interference with your radios? In particular when you use your handheld? I have been through several portable chargers from different manufacturers and all of them will open the squelch on my handheld. Not that is a big issue, but curious if you encountered any issues with it.

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Have any of you using this Aukey noted any interference with your radios? In particular when you use your handheld? I have been through several portable chargers from different manufacturers and all of them will open the squelch on my handheld. Not that is a big issue, but curious if you encountered any issues with it.

Not me.  no interference at all.  I have a PS 8000 audio panel and it is famous for being well shielded.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ned Gravel said:

I just downloaded the IFD 100 and the first thing it did was ask for a Jepp account login.  Hmmmm.

Yeah, I don't like it either.  I don't normally buy year subscriptions- just  a once a year navdata update.... apparently if I want to use this "free" app, I'll have to start throwing away a bunch of money.

Jeppesen.... even bigger crooks than garmin.  Rant over.

Edited by M016576
  • Like 1

On 4/2/2017 at 7:54 PM, xcrmckenna said:

. . . people are staying away from the avidynes till they get a few years on them. But in the long run I think it will be a great unit.

That doesn't seem to be true on any aviation forum I'm on. People are dumping Garmin for Avidyne at an amazing rate from what I see.

• Like 7

I called 3 big name avionics shops. They all said they are installing GTN boxes 10:1 against avidyne. And none has ever removed an GTN for an avidyne.  Now dumping a 530 for an iFD540, certainly. You save the 3k in installation cost plus the unit is cheaper and I think it's a leap from the 530. But in the comparison between the gtn750 and the ifd540, buyers choose the 750.  And it's even more expensive. And taws is effectively not an option. And no built in wifi. Etc.  

According to Chase at Avionics Source, with software version 10.2: yes to both bidirectional communication with iPad, and display of TIS from Garmin 330, but I'd like it from horse's mouth, though. I'm not surprised that with new installs Garmin is outpacing Avidyne. Marketing and their huge installed base/following.  Did I mention marketing??

However, if you're like me, with a 430W, with a future of unknown duration, a slide-in is huge savings. Now with Bluetooth, wifi, and FLTA thrown in, the pricing I'm seeing is very appealing. If you've ever flown with the new GTNs, the touch-only option is not all it's cracked up to be, even in light chop. I've watched a friend struggle in VFR doing practice approaches. With the IFD series, you can use either knobs or touch for virtually every function. In addition, Garmin's new operating system requires you to go to the "Home" page for each function.  This seems to be a step backwards from the GNS; it slow things down and makes it more difficult IMHO, but maybe you'd get used to it with practice. Now, I can do virtually everything I need on the 430 and just glance at that screen to confirm where I am. I guess that's one of the reasons I'm dragging my feet on this.  If you believe the market numbers, there's probably 20,000 to 50,000 other plane owners like me. 

One of thes days, we will get the dreaded "NorthstarM3 notice" of discontinuance of support.  Is it 2, 5, or 10 years, or even more? When that happens, our GNSs with become #2 Nav/Coms, or paperweights, and we will be forced to make the decision.  I imagine prices will go up more than a little, and that trade-in values will plummet.  Crystal ball, anyone?

But I'm an old guy!  I'm probably wrong and it won't be the first time. Just ask my wife.  (And that's an interesting discussion: "You're going to spend $$$ to replace something that works just fine??!  WT...")

• Like 1

According to Chase at Avionics Source, with software version 10.2: yes to both bidirectional communication with iPad, and display of TIS from Garmin 330, but I'd like it from horse's mouth, though. I'm not surprised that with new installs Garmin is outpacing Avidyne. Marketing and their huge installed base/following.  Did I mention marketing??
However, if you're like me, with a 430W, with a future of unknown duration, a slide-in is huge savings. Now with Bluetooth, wifi, and FLTA thrown in, the pricing I'm seeing is very appealing. If you've ever flown with the new GTNs, the touch-only option is not all it's cracked up to be, even in light chop. I've watched a friend struggle in VFR doing practice approaches. With the IFD series, you can use either knobs or touch for virtually every function. In addition, Garmin's new operating system requires you to go to the "Home" page for each function.  This seems to be a step backwards from the GNS; it slow things down and makes it more difficult IMHO, but maybe you'd get used to it with practice. Now, I can do virtually everything I need on the 430 and just glance at that screen to confirm where I am. I guess that's one of the reasons I'm dragging my feet on this.  If you believe the market numbers, there's probably 20,000 to 50,000 other plane owners like me. 
One of thes days, we will get the dreaded "NorthstarM3 notice" of discontinuance of support.  Is it 2, 5, or 10 years, or even more? When that happens, our GNSs with become #2 Nav/Coms, or paperweights, and we will be forced to make the decision.  I imagine prices will go up more than a little, and that trade-in values will plummet.  Crystal ball, anyone?
But I'm an old guy!  I'm probably wrong and it won't be the first time. Just ask my wife.  (And that's an interesting discussion: "You're going to spend $$$ to replace something that works just fine??!  WT...")

I don't have the 10.2 update so I can't connect. Chase told me I should fly without it for awhile to decide if it's an upgrade I would want. He was the one I went through to do the swap. Been very helpful and the quick install was worth every penny I spent on it doing it myself:) I think in the long run it will fit everyone of my needs and then some. I might switch out the 170b I have now, move the 440 to my second, and put in a 540 down the road. Like you said time will tell on Avidyne and their fight with Garmin. Maybe n10 years from now BK will decide to be a major player again since the 770 seemed to be a flop.

13 minutes ago, xcrmckenna said:

I don't have the 10.2 update so I can't connect. Chase told me I should fly without it for awhile to decide if it's an upgrade I would want. 

Chase is almost always right but in this case - do the update !

• Like 1